Where did you eat on your Hollywood Studios day?

SumWhrOvrThRanBo

Mouseketeer
Last Fall we ate at SciFi & I wasn't thrilled. I have an ADR at Prime Time for this Summer, but I'm not really certain that anything on the menu would interest my husband.
Should we stick with counter service? Is there a great table service restaurant I'm missing? Should we leave the park to eat elsewhere??
Suggestions!? Thanks so much.

We aren't picky, thoroughly enjoy the burgers, boneless buffalo wings and turkey sandwich at Sci Fi. None of the QS places are really that good.

Usually, somewhere in Epcot or on/near the Boardwalk. We either eat after hopping from HS or before hopping to. UNLESS we do the F! dining experience then we eat at mama melrose.

The best quick service item I have probably had there is the meatball sub from Pizza Planet and I tried it for the first time last December.

I've heard to avoid the ABC Commissary. We have eaten at Backlot Express years back (it's okay, nothing special) have also eaten at the outdoor stands on Sunset (hotdogs and BBQ sandwich, typical park fare). Had one of our worst meals ever at Hollywood & Vine

We like Mama Melrose and combine it with a fantasmic package. The calamari app or mussels app is good, usually get the steak. 50's prime my husband gets the pot roast and likes it and I get the sampler. We're doing both again this year. We eat at the QS back by the back lot tour. I always for get the name. We like the buffalo chicken sandwhich there. Not many good QS options though.

Brown Derby is very good, though, very expensive. They do however have some lunch items that are reasonable including their Cobb Salad for $16. Truthfully that price isn't much more than a QS meal, but in a nice relaxed setting.

There aren't a lot of great dining options in DHS to begin with... but I love 50PT! It's a wonderful experience and the food is amazing. Keep in mind that Disney does a great job of accomodating special dining requests if your husband doesn't like anything on the menu. I say keep 50PT! It's a lot of fun ;)

When we were there last year we had breakfast at H&V, lunch at Mama Melrose, and dinner at 50s prime time. They were all decent. Nothing to rave about though. They were just ok. The theming of 50s was awesome though we really liked that part of it. This time around we have ADRs for H&V breakfast (I have little ones that love Disney junior characters lol), lunch at sci fi (my ds8 thinks the concept of eating in a car is awesome), and then we are leaving the park for dinner and going to beaches and cream. I hear they have really good ice cream and my kids love ice cream. There aren't many places to eat in DHS which is y we chose to go to beaches and cream for dinner. Then we could explore that resort before heading back to DHS for fantasmic.

We always try for Sci Fi. Also, agree on Mama Melrose F! package. We have done that twice and the food at Mama Melrose has not disappointed.

I really like the fried chicken and pot roast at 50's PT. I went back to Sci Fi for the first time in years in July and thought their strip steak was better than BOG! Our entire group loved our meals.

Other than those two options I would say Brown Derby if you are looking sit down.

If you are open to leaving the park and want a nice sit down meal take a boat to the Yacht/Beach Club and eat at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. Can't go wrong there!

My family's two favorite dining locations in DHS are Sci Fi and HBD/HBD Lounge. Given that you weren't terribly fond of Sci Fi, I'd recommend giving HBD or the Lounge a try. I really like the Cobb Salad and the Lounge has some very interesting small plate items.

I know some folks love 50PT, but I really disliked having a server pretend to be an overbearing parent with the looming threat that they'd suddenly start picking on me (like they were my aunt). If you go, be prepared for that to happen.

The last couple years we have gone to Cape May on our DHS day. It is a very quick boat ride over to the Beach Club.

Brown Derby is very good, though, very expensive. They do however have some lunch items that are reasonable including their Cobb Salad for $16. Truthfully that price isn't much more than a QS meal, but in a nice relaxed setting.
HBD is very good. I think it's worththe money.

On our last trip, we ate at HBD (Fantasmic dining package and totally worth it) one day and 50s another day. Both are much better than Sci Fi in my opinion. Have you looked at the HBD lounge menu? They do not take ADRs but I think it would be a great option for many people.

DHS is a horrible wasteland when it comes to food. Hollywood Brown Derby is good, but it's expensive. I stopped going there when the stopped offering a lunch menu. I'm not a fan of Prime Time or Mama Melrose. I'll do SciFi but I accept that it is basically bar food. The CS's are mostly boring cookie cutter places with the same-old, same-old Disney burgers, pizza, etc. We usually end up eating at the backlot Express since I enjoy the Cantaloupe and Cucumber salad.

The 2 places we always end up are Pizza Planet & Sci Fi. I love them both! But during our last trip, we decided to try the Brown Derby Lounge and it was AWESOME!!! Now it's a must do for a light lunch or snacks. All the food here is small plates, so it's half portions of the infamous Cobb Salad, sliders, mini desserts, etc... You could totally fill up on a few small things, and the prices are great... We also love the sandwiches at Starring Rolls, but they close early so be aware of that :)

50's Prime Time is my all time favorite Studios restaurant (fried chicken!) though we're skipping it this time to try Sci-Fi again. I want to love Sci-Fi based on atmosphere but the food is always disappointing. This time I think we'll just get apps and dessert. I've only eaten at Brown Derby once but it was very good - we'd just rather go elsewhere to treat ourselves. As for QS, we usually grab something at the stalls across from Beauty & the Beast - typical QS food but it does the job. I had horrible food at ABC Commissary once (10 years ago... but still!) so I won't go back! Hopefully they've improved.

The Brown Derby for a real Cobb Salad.

After that I like 50's Prime Time. Maybe you have to be an American of a certain age to appreciate meatloaf, Sunday fried chicken, pot roast and stuffed pork chops, but for me it is a step back into the food of my youth.

I'm not wowed by anything at DHS (haven't eaten at brown derby yet). But we like a sit down per day as a break. If it's not a full day at DHS, we'll leave and eat at downtown disney or our resort. If we don't want to leave the park , I've liked 50s prime time and had perfectly tasty if not amazing counter device at both ABC commissary and BacklotExpress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter