Where do the kids go?

Chris mentioned on some interview that he had been standing in his driveway with his family. I assume, socially distancing from them. he said some irate biker guy drove by, recognized him, stopped and started yelling at him for being COVID-19 positive and not wearing a mask while outside, even mentioning that it is his brother, the Governor's executive order, and they got into a verbal yelling match.

But, the NY Governor's executive order has never been that one needs to wear a mask outdoors all the time. I watch his news briefing every day. For 3 days, he had to explain how & when people need to wear a mask, as upstate NYers are going, "WHYYYYY do we need to wear a mask when we barely have cases???" :confused3 And people from NYC might have heard the mayor say something different. :confused: The executive order is only that when one is out in public and cannot maintain a social distance of 6 ft, to have the mask ready to slip on. But, if one is not in that situation, like out hiking with no one close by, then one does not have to have the mask on.

Someone took a pic of George Stepanopolis, who had tested positive, while he was clearly out walking alone, no one even within 8 ft of him, and he had on a mask, had it down around his neck. But, people were criticizing him for not having his mask up. He has since said, he's no longer positive. And if people are going to criticize, get the executive order right. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I didn't know Chris had gotten in a car and obviously in close proximity to his family. :headache: However, him going up, outside, & down the stairs, highlights he might have touched something or aerosolized something on the way back downstairs, which they could have then touched. IF he didn't infect them while he was close to them.

While it may be technically true that he was standing on his property, it should also be noted that he was not standing on the same property that he currently calls home. He chose to exit his basement (even though his scripted reemergence from his underground quarantine on his TV show would have you believe that was the first time he had left his basement) to leave his primary residence and travel to a construction site (Why, I don’t know, as his brother has ordered all nonessential construction to stop). The interaction with the guy on the bicycle took place at this construction site. Cuomo was seen congregating with his wife, another woman, and his three kids who were playing on the property.

Last edited:

I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not, but I will bite.

School vacations you either take off or they go to daycare and summer camp.

If both parents have jobs that require weekend work then it’s up to parents to hire someone to care for their children.

So parents may have to look for childcare options just as they normally would for times they have to work and school is not in session. Nothing has been announced but I wouldn't be surprised if summer school is canceled here. I don't think schools should be forced to start too early just for the sake of free daycare. I don't know what the answer is. Opening schools too soon could put many families at risk when kids carry germs home, it puts school staff and their families at risk, but sending all the kids to daycares and camps so parents can work carries the same risks. So far the hospitals aren't overwhelmed here. Hopefully as things open up it stays that way.

Lots of school districts are running out of money to provide free meals.

I thought the federal government was funding the meals?

For people that watch his show consistently, or have just seen it a few times - really not that difficult figuring out why he did the dramatic "re-entry"

I do not watch his show. But, I took it to mean he is finally out of the basement for good. He's no longer sentenced to be down there. :confused3

For people that watch his show consistently, or have just seen it a few times - really not that difficult figuring out why he did the dramatic "re-entry"
The whole thing is probably dumb from all sides. Unless for entertainment value, not really worth the energy to unravel right now. We're inundated with so much b level news. At the end of the day, how much of it really matters or has any impact on our life.

What daycares are going to be taking kids 6-11/12 year olds? You know that age where they’re in school all day, maybe going to an after school program but too young to still stay home alone all day. Daycares in my area don’t take kids that age. They stop at 5.

I assume if school is closed summer camps will be closed too. Oh and summer camp doesn’t start until school let’s out Which for schools in the northeast is June sometime.

Cuomo knows the demographic of his people. This issue is going to be huge for nyc.

people say ask friends and family to help. Everyone in my family works. I’m not friends with any stay at home moms. My grandma doesn’t work and she watched my kids when they were little but she’s older now and can’t watch small children anymore.

The daycare's around here go up to 8th grade. A lot of kids who are open enrolled, cross-district, or private schools. So, the aftercare and daycare go up to 13 or so. My son has been staying home alone for years, but the programs put on in the summer and after school are FUN. So, I pay for him to go before school each day (or, did until March), and I still throw the calendar for the summer at him and let him pick 2 days a week to go. This would have been his last summer going. Very bittersweet, as I am sure it will be cancelled.

That is really sad that daycare ends at 5 there. What do parents do on days that school is closed..due to weather, school vacation, holidays, etc.? I don't have family to help, so without these daycares, it would have been hell when my kids were younger.

The daycare's around here go up to 8th grade. A lot of kids who are open enrolled, cross-district, or private schools. So, the aftercare and daycare go up to 13 or so. My son has been staying home alone for years, but the programs put on in the summer and after school are FUN. So, I pay for him to go before school each day (or, did until March), and I still throw the calendar for the summer at him and let him pick 2 days a week to go. This would have been his last summer going. Very bittersweet, as I am sure it will be cancelled.

That is really sad that daycare ends at 5 there. What do parents do on days that school is closed..due to weather, school vacation, holidays, etc.? I don't have family to help, so without these daycares, it would have been hell when my kids were younger.

For early dismissals and after school there are after school and morning programs usually at school. That way they aren’t being bussed. It’s all right at the school. They usually go up to 6th grade.

When school is closed for weather and holidays most parents take off or some find alternate child care. (Grandparent, aunt, etc). Some people, in a pinch, bring their kids to work and stick them in an office with food and an iPad.

In the summer there are summer camps.

But if school is closed I assume summer camps are closed ?? Summer camps start when school is over which is mid - late June in the northeast.

Obstacles differ vastly even town to town. It's still on the table our town may return this year with a tentative May 15 date (dismissal June 25). Families whose children cannot attend (for whatever reason) can be given the option to continue online.

In the city we used to live, DS went to the Boy's & Girl's Club during holiday breaks and over the summer. Not inexpensive but much cheaper than alternatives. I'm assuming capacity limits will increase temporarily if necessary. My current town also has makeshift resources.

The problems leaving kids alone at home are structure, nutrition and safety. Before this I've seen parents do a pretty good job addressing them with latch key kids. It's doable with pre-made meals, video cameras and neighbors on call especially for shorter periods of time. Just not ideal.

I think bottom line is most schools will open sooner than is comfortable but leave open the option to continue the year with online learning for families that want/need to limit exposure as much as possible.

I'm a middle school teacher, and I can second that teaching remotely is waaaaaay harder and more work and more stressful that regular classroom teaching. Both my kids are home, but one is in college doing her online classes, and the other graduated from college last year and is working remotely from my house. So the house is full, it has to be cleaned more often, meals have to be cooked, laundry has to be done, groceries have to be bought. My DH is in the same boat as you with a very stressful job, so he in not able to help. The kids pitch in when they can. I would be seriously over the edge if I had little ones at home I had to do school work with on top of teaching my own classes. I really feel for your wife. Hugs to you all!!!!

sounds like your job is just as stressful as your husband’s, and yet you’re expected to take on the bulk of the shopping and housework? Hunh.

Before this thread gets derailed like so many others...
- my wife and kids have been at home for 40+ days. I do 100% of the shopping.
- I have left the house for work
- I cook 99% of the meals
- I maintain the lawn
- I do the dishes
- I wake up the kids and feed them
- I take the kids out to play, etc, every day, to give the wife a break. We built a fort that took a week. We have done chalk art. We’ve played every sport. We have had a fire several nights per week. Etc.

Dads are doing their part. My point was, digital learning is great if it’s just your kids. Expecting a teacher to also teach her own kids is the challenge.

Since to me it seems everyone is on board with stop buying stuff from China, there isn't anything to spend money on as everything comes from China. Thus consumerism falls back to pre dual income times and there's only need for 1 income so one goes to work and one stays home (obviously this doesn't work for single parent/guardian.)

Seems it would solve a lot of society's social and economic problems if we would go back to raising our own kids again.

Since to me it seems everyone is on board with stop buying stuff from China, there isn't anything to spend money on as everything comes from China. Thus consumerism falls back to pre dual income times and there's only need for 1 income so one goes to work and one stays home (obviously this doesn't work for single parent/guardian.)

Seems it would solve a lot of society's social and economic problems if we would go back to raising our own kids again.

A long, long time ago, someone wrote a book about this very topic. The author seems like a smart woman.

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Income-Trap-Middle-Class-Parents-Going/dp/0465090907/ref=nodl_

In the UK parents with 2 jobs that are essential employers are staggering shifts as much as possible. The best place for children is at home and they are working to make sure that can happen as much as possible.

Before this thread gets derailed like so many others...
- my wife and kids have been at home for 40+ days. I do 100% of the shopping.
- I have left the house for work
- I cook 99% of the meals
- I maintain the lawn
- I do the dishes
- I wake up the kids and feed them
- I take the kids out to play, etc, every day, to give the wife a break. We built a fort that took a week. We have done chalk art. We’ve played every sport. We have had a fire several nights per week. Etc.

Dads are doing their part. My point was, digital learning is great if it’s just your kids. Expecting a teacher to also teach her own kids is the challenge.

I always, always make sure to give my husband all of the credit he deserves. We simply would not be as happy of a home without his many contributions. We would probably have regular food poisoning if I had to cook every meal. :rotfl2:

Both of my neighbors are still working outside the home as they are essential. She works for the state and he works for a company that manufactures medical equipment (right now they're doing ventilator parts).
I'm working from home 4 days a week and in the office 1 day a week.
DH is retired.

We've had the neighbor's 6 y.o. since March 16th when schools closed, expecting it to be for a couple of weeks as the initial closure was to April 1st. The decision was then made to not re-open until the fall. Daycare for the 13 month old closed on March 27th so we've had her since then. I'm doing the remote learning with the 6 y.o. This cannot go on indefinitely. While we love the kids and are happy to help with them, it's exhausting. There is no family close by to help and no other neighbors. We live on a lake and most of the people who have homes here are seasonal residents. I'm praying that daycare opens soon and that the summer programs are open. My guess is if they're closed our neighbors are going to have to find someone out of work to come to their home to care for the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter