Where do you eat on AK day?

lcoult

Earning My Ears
I currently have us down for a Tusker House brunch at 10:25 (which is really 11:25 our time) and figured we would do a yak and yeti CS dinner before we left the park. Now I'm thinking of cancelling T.House since we are going to Chef Mickey's the first night (I know, it's blah buffet food.. but I can't get in at O'hana and with several young kids I was thinking it would be cool to try to ride the monorail and catch the fireworks.. see the characters.) maybe we shouldn't bother with T.House buffet.

Where do you typically eat on AK day? It closes at 5 that day so we could really just do a CS lunch and then go to a resort to eat (we do not do park hoppers). Is THouse really worth it? What's your AK day plan? thanks!!:wizard:

ETA: We are on the dining plan.. trying to stick to one CS and one TS a day. :)

Will you have a car? If so, we like to eat a CS at lunch and have a nice dinner at Boma, at the AKL. It's a short drive from AK, and we take our time and use the night goggles to see animals and enjoy the resort after dinner. You could also eat at your resort and have dinner and enjoy the evening there - swimming or watching a movie, or whatever you like to do in the evening.

Where do you typically eat on AK day?

• bluezoo
  • California Grill
  • Victoria & Albert's
Because AK closes early, we find that this is a perfect day to go back to the resort, shower, put on some nice clothes and have our "nicest" meal of the trip. Doesn't sound like this fits in with your one TS credit limit, but if you are contemplating having a Signature dinner at all during your trip, this would be the night to do it.

Thanks! We will have a car. We will have several young children with us so I feel like it's best not to do a signature meal at this time. I hadn't thought about Boma. I wonder if they would like the food,etc. That's a good idea.

We are staying at the Pop to save $$ this year, so the food choices there are bleh.

We are going to Disney in September. I was not crazy excited about going to AK, until I researched it a bit more. I hear that Y&Y is great counter-service, as is Flame Tree BBQ. Wonderful reviews. Tusker House does have similar characters as Chef Mickey's, so you could sub that meal for something else. However, I have also heard that it is a fantastic TS option - especially for lunch.

We are going to go to TH for lunch at 11:20am and then to Sanaa for dinner at 5:10pm. It is at the Animal Kingdom Lodge....actually in the villas. It features large windows for viewing the animals on the Savannah. I hear that the earlier reservations are the best for kids, as they feed they animals around 5pm and there is more "activity". The menu skews more eclectic but it appeals to our family. I also hear that the AKL is fun to go to, as well. You could also schedule dinner for Boma too - which is at the AKL too. It may offer more options for picky eaters.

You could do all the fun stuff at AK, hit up the Lion King show and then take the bus to the AKL.

Disney announced that there will be a new nighttime show at AK - coming soon. They have not released the dates yet. If it is open when you travel, then that could be an option after dinner.

We eat at Flame tree BBQ for counter service ... It's very good : ) I personally like Tuskers house breakfast or lunch because there's nothing like the classic disney characters in safari animal print. I would suggest keeping Tuskers house and then go to 1900 park for dinner. They have Cinderella, Prince Charming as well as evil step mother and ugly step sisters. But having wrote that if your wanting only 1 TS that day do Tuskers breakfast and a quick service on any of the monorail hotels or flame tree BBQ for an early lunch at AK and dinner at Chef Mickey : )

With kids any of these options would be fun for them and easy for you since kids love characters, and riding he monorail is fun as well .. Have a fabulous vacation!!

We always eat dinner at Boma after our AK day. We have also eaten at Pizzafari, Flame Tree and Y & Y counter service. This year we will also do Y & Y TS for lunch. I'm excited to try the Kobe beef burger there. :cool1:

We typically do no/small breakfast, Flametree early lunch then head to DTD that night since AK closes early. Many choices in DTD for dinner that are kid friendly.

I always, without fail eat at Yak and Yeti TS while in AK. I love the atmosphere and the food.

Because AK closes early, we find that this is a perfect day to go back to the resort, shower, put on some nice clothes and have our "nicest" meal of the trip. Doesn't sound like this fits in with your one TS credit limit, but if you are contemplating having a Signature dinner at all during your trip, this would be the night to do it.

We also tend to have our nicest meal of the trip after leaving Animal Kingdom. Grand Floridian Café is our first choice!

Thanks! We will have a car. We will have several young children with us so I feel like it's best not to do a signature meal at this time. I hadn't thought about Boma. I wonder if they would like the food,etc. That's a good idea.

We are staying at the Pop to save $$ this year, so the food choices there are bleh.

Look at Allears.com, and see the types of food. My kids enjoy it for dinner, and my DD is a picky eater. There's always kid friendly food for the unadventurous eaters. You can also try the famous zebra dome treats for dessert. It's a buffet, so I am sure there may be enough for all to eat, and the kids should enjoy the decor of the resort and restaurant. Not a far drive from POP either. Check out the allears website, most of what she lists there is pretty good as to what is served at the restaurants. I agree, we were not so happy with POP's food either.

My children LOVE Boma!! They have a kid buffet area with yummy baked chicken, mashed potatoes, Mac and cheese, meatballs and pasta (separate) and veggies. There are lots of options! Don't be afraid of it!! My DDs love it there so much that we end up eating there at least 2x per trip. You might also like looking around the resort. There is a Savannah view just off the lobby. They also have storytelling around the outdoor fire pit in the evening.

The other place we thought was surprisingly good was Pizzafari. Pleasant surprise last time in AK.

I've never been there, but from what I've read, we aren't planning a full day there. We are going to do breakfast in our room, Tusker House brunch, spend some time before and after brunch at the park, grab a bear paw brownie for the three of us to share as a later snack, and dinner either at the resort or DTD.

I currently have us down for a Tusker House brunch at 10:25 (which is really 11:25 our time) and figured we would do a yak and yeti CS dinner before we left the park. Now I'm thinking of cancelling T.House since we are going to Chef Mickey's the first night (I know, it's blah buffet food.. but I can't get in at O'hana and with several young kids I was thinking it would be cool to try to ride the monorail and catch the fireworks.. see the characters.) maybe we shouldn't bother with T.House buffet.

Where do you typically eat on AK day? It closes at 5 that day so we could really just do a CS lunch and then go to a resort to eat (we do not do park hoppers). Is THouse really worth it? What's your AK day plan? thanks!!:wizard:

ETA: We are on the dining plan.. trying to stick to one CS and one TS a day. :)

There's no real good CS at Animal Kingdom. We prefer Restarauntosaurus (probably spelled that wrong). Don't really care for Flame Tree (BBQ is pretty lacking) or Yak & Yeti (think not quite as good as Panda Express). That said, I'd probably do a counter service in the park and then go to Boma for dinner. We really enjoyed Boma. Another option might be CS at Animal Kingdom then head to a different resort or Downtown Disney for dinner.

We are doing an early entry Tusker House breakfast. Lunch will be smaller, snack type things like the fried rice from Yak and Yeti counter service. Then we will have dinner at Boma at 5:00 when AK closes. I know it's 2 TS but we have a day where we aren't using any so it works out:)

We do Y&Y TS for lunch-the Kobe burger with mushrooms is amazing!! Then we either head to Jiko or a Signature rest. for dinner.

Pizzafari is nice for lunch, especially if there are a lot of kids with you! It is a nice place to cool off with cute decor and the hot Italian sandwich is tasty! With that said, we are doing a Tusker House breakfast/lunch at 10:30 on our AK day this time!

For CS we love Flame Tree. We usually always plan Sanaa on our AKL days. My favorite restaurant on property. :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter