Where do you get your costumes?

afgoplen

Earning My Ears
Not crafty and hoping to have a good set of costumes (preferably couples costumes) for the 2023 Marathon Dopey challenge. Where do you get your costumes? Any easy and fun ideas? Thanks!

Just search etsy for running costume. There are makers who specialize in Disney and will do custom orders. You can also Disney Bound with regular running clothes. There are a couple of companies who do Disney themed running shirts, leggings, shorts and skirts.

Yes, lots on Etsy. So many, that it's daunting. Any specific vendors that are recommended so that I can narrow my searches?

And Re Disney Bounding -- Yes I think I will need to wear reliably comfortable regular running clothes for the longer races, so this is a great suggestion!

I prefer Disney Bounding because I can always use leggings and shirts during training, but when am I ever going to use a ridiculously awesome and elaborate running costume during the rest of the year?

Not crafty and hoping to have a good set of costumes (preferably couples costumes) for the 2023 Marathon Dopey challenge. Where do you get your costumes? Any easy and fun ideas? Thanks!
Funny timing...my wife is opening an Etsy shop specifically with runDisney races in mind. Did you have anything particular in mind? Are you Marvel fans? How about Vision and Wanda? My daughter and I are dressing up as Leia and Darth Vader for the Half.

Just search etsy for running costume. There are makers who specialize in Disney and will do custom orders. You can also Disney Bound with regular running clothes. There are a couple of companies who do Disney themed running shirts, leggings, shorts and skirts.
It also can't hurt to message sellers if you have a specific question. One seller has Disney Princess Mandalorian armor shirts, but listed in women's sizing on their page. As a man running the 2021 princess races virtually, I wanted to get in on the fun so to speak and I messaged the seller to see if I could get the shirts I wanted in unisex sizes. The seller said that was possible and did a custom order for me.
Yes, lots on Etsy. So many, that it's daunting. Any specific vendors that are recommended so that I can narrow my searches?

And Re Disney Bounding -- Yes I think I will need to wear reliably comfortable regular running clothes for the longer races, so this is a great suggestion!
A couple of timing related issues to remember here. First off, it's a good idea to do a training run in race clothing, especially costumes. You will want to know about any possible serious problems before the race itself. You might have the best race costume ever in pictures, but it might be very uncomfortable and/or cause issues such as chafing on race day itself. Race costumes can be achieved with multiple layers, but you will want to know how these layers interact with your body during a run.

I've run some races with a Yoda backpack recreating the scene from The Empire Strikes Back. Sometimes as Luke Skywalker, once as Batman, and once in a normal running shirt. The backpack can slip off your shoulders when you run, so you may be constantly adjusting it. May not be an issue for a 5K, but you may feel differently constantly adjusting it during a Half Marathon.

Furthermore, some race clothing sits differently on your body than others. Not all moisture wicking fabrics are created equal. If the costume is for a longer distance, I recommend trying to a longerish run in that costume. I've had race shirts that literally stick to my body. I can deal with that for shorter distances, but for Half Marathon or more, I want the shirts that have consistently proven to work in training and previous races.

So when ordering from etsy, pay attention to delivery time. Will it arrive before your race? Will it arrive in time for you to test it out on a run (or maybe multiple runs) before your race?

I can message you my favorites.

I've also ordered and have them delivered directly to my resort

I ordered a running dress from DreamItByYLW on Etsy for MW. Other options I've done is Sparkle Skirts and used running clothes to Disney Bound. I have a lime green sparkle skirt and a similar shade UA shirt for Tinkerbell.

https://iglowrunning.com/

I have run in her stuff before and have always been pleased. Actually, my thumbnail is some of hers (not the sleeves, who knew it was going to be so cold when I ordered them, haha?!)

ETA: she used to be on Etsy, but looks like transitioning to her own website, so inventory looks low/in transition right now.

runsewsweet
thetutufactory
kawaiian pizza apparel
sundaymorningactive
rock city skirts
sparkle athletics*
bolder athletics*
crowned athletics*
dreamwardrobeshop
runtheimpossible
Ikdboutique
*not on etsy, they have their own websites

basically if you type in "disney running costume" on etsy, these are the main search results. you'll notice that for a LOT of them they have the same white, blonde, female model. So these are going to be all made out of the same stuff, sized pretty much the same, etc. I ran in a tank from lkdboutique for the half last year and had no major issues (other than the material pulls/snags SUPER easy and the top of my bib where they tear off for your shirts actually fuzzed up a strip on it) and DH ran in a mens shirt from kawaiian pizza apparel.

People even get regular halloween costumes for the 5k and 10k and will alter them enough to be able to "run" in them.

x2 to everything Sleepless Knight said about costume testing (for fit and chaffing), order lead times, etc.

Sparkle Athletic has costume guides for Disney races in their blog. The link to the blog is at the bottom of the homepage.

What Herding_Cats said.

I didn't know if I was allowed to post shop names ;)

yeah idk if i'm allowed to post shops either. I obviously don't own any of them, i'm not getting anything out of it via support links so i'm just naming a bunch of them. LOL if it's not allowed i'm sure i'll be notified.

I normally will layer off the rack running cloths and than plus them up with ribbon/vinyl or other embellishments and than my mom will make me running skirts

This year for the 5k, I bought a Perla Mouse apron from loverdoversclothing on Etsy. It was very comfortable and awesome to run in. There are several good reviews from people who wore her aprons for half marathons. Just wore my usual shorts, added a pink shirt underneath, and then made a big spool of thread with large needle as an accessory to my costume. My daughter made her own Cinderella's bird helper costume, and also carried her own spool of thread. I got lots of compliments on the costume, and the announcers gave us a shout out as we crossed the finish line. We both made our costumes for the 10k. I got a very comfortable pink knit sheath dress from Amazon, added some fringe to the bottom, and voila, Charlotte La Bouff. My daughter made her own Tiana waitress costume.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter