Where do you go on your very first grown-up vacation? Disney World, of course!

AllisonK

DIS Veteran
What better place to go in the middle of a cold Massachusetts winter then to Orlando? (I know, I know, it can be cold - but we've been to Florida in January plenty of times to know that "cold" by Florida standards is usually pretty warm to us, so we deal with it.)

Let me introduce myself. I'm Allison, most people call me Alli, I'm 22 and graduated from college in May with a degree in print journalism. I started my job on June 2 at a newspaper about 20 minutes from my hometown. I'm a copy editor and we lay out and design the paper as well as edit.

With the real job comes real vacation time. Since I started in June, my days just kicked in this week, and my editor-in-chief was nice enough to sign the form for my other two co-workers and I (who all started this year fresh out of college) to carry over our days to use until the end of March. Once I knew I had the approval, I put in for my vacation ASAP and it was approved this week.

After college I moved back home and am living with my parents. We kicked around the idea of taking a vacation together, but it's pretty hard to coordinate vacation schedules (my mom is a teacher and my dad is a reporter at a radio station).

Once my vacation days were approved, Mom and I decided just to book a trip - so on Wednesday I met her at school for lunch and we booked our flights and hotel/tickets/DDP. We fly out of Providence at the crack of dawn (uhhh...6:45... that's early) on Jan. 14, and will check into Pop for almost 5 full days! Let's just say I'm on vacation and I'm going to make the most out of it and will possibly visit friends in NYC my last few days off.

If my dad decides he wants to come with us, we can add him on, but he may decide to visit his family near Fort Lauderdale - or he may decide to keep working and stay home with our cat.

We've been to Disney 4 times as a family (and my dad and I spent a day at Magic Kingdom when I was in 4th grade).

We went for the first time for my 4th birthday in April of 1993:
disney1993.jpg

Then again for my 7th birthday in April of 1996:
disney1996.jpg

For my 11th birthday in 2000 (of which I have no scanned photos... they're all in an album) - this was the big family trip with my parents, myself, my aunt, my two cousins and my grandmother (just five weeks after her open heart surgery) and grandfather.

And in January of 2009 for a very-delayed high school graduation trip (I graduated in 2007...):
disney2009.jpg

Yes, I did make my parents go to the princess breakfast with me...

So as of right now, besides flights and hotel - we have 2 dining reservations planned. We've decided to make all our TS reservations as dinners as I am NOT a breakfast person in the least.

I remember eating at Chef Mickey's when I was younger and at Crystal Palace, The Living Seas, 1900 Park Faire and Hollywood and Vine in 2000 and on our last trip we ate at Le Cellier, Boma (which we LOVED), Hollywood and Vine and Akershus.

This time our plan is to try more new places. Our first night will be dinner at Crystal Palace (which we've done before - but that was 12 years ago) and most likely our only character meal. Our second night we're booked at O'hana (a very late dinner reservation at 9:00, but I work nights so eating at 9:00 is on the very early side of late, or right on time).

We're also looking into The Wave one night and Nine Dragons another night and our last day will have to be either breakfast or lunch. I'll be updating this as we do more planning and such!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter