Where do you like to safety vacation in Mexico?

I spent last week in nyc wearing a $60,000 watch. My wife a $30’000 watch wearing very recognizable Cartier jewelry. Wearing jeans and t shirts. No problems. There is not once city in Mexico that I would attempt that. I know what would happen. Yes I know people get mugged in nyc. But not so much in the main areas.in Mexico, it would be any where. I have family that has lived in Mexico for over 40 years. And what’s the point of going to Mexico and vacationing inside of a compound.
That has to be the biggest humble brag I have ever seen...

I think there is a difference between Manhattan vs some other areas of New York City. There are some very dangerous areas of NY city, far more dangerous than tourist areas of Mexico. I also don't understand the last sentence. What is the point of any vacation? TO get away and relax. Some people like to do that at a resort, some people on a ship. Some people ask what is the point of getting on a cruise ship with thousands of others to vacation. To each their own...

Last edited:
I spent last week in nyc wearing a $60,000 watch. My wife a $30’000 watch wearing very recognizable Cartier jewelry. Wearing jeans and t shirts. No problems. There is not once city in Mexico that I would attempt that. I know what would happen. Yes I know people get mugged in nyc. But not so much in the main areas.in Mexico, it would be any where. I have family that has lived in Mexico for over 40 years. And what’s the point of going to Mexico and vacationing inside of a compound.
Also, you are apparently fine with limiting what areas your go to in NYC ("not so much the main areas"), but limiting where you go in Mexico is bad. You're just full of hypocrisy, aren't you?

I think there is a difference between Manhattan vs some other areas of New York City. There are some very dangerous areas of NY city, far more dangerous than tourist areas of Mexico. I also don't understand the last sentence. What is the point of any vacation? TO get away and relax. Some people like to do that at a resort, some people on a ship. Some people ask what is the point of getting on a cruise ship with thousands of others to vacation. To each their own...
It appears to be missing the humble part.

I wonder how many at the outlet mall in Allen, Texas yesterday saying they didn't want to go to Mexico because it was too dangerous.....

I wonder how many at the outlet mall in Allen, Texas yesterday saying they didn't want to go to Mexico because it was too dangerous..
I wonder how many at the outlet mall in Allen, Texas yesterday saying they didn't want to go to Mexico because it was too dangerous.....
Maybe a few. That might be hard to find out. What isn’t t hard to find out is the numbers of Mexicans trying to flee Mexico every day vs. the numbers of Americans trying to flee to Mexico.

The Mexicans probably say the same things about Chicago, Baltimore, Oakland, and so on
The Mexicans that can vacation to American Tourist Destinations don't go to these cities. Heck, I wouldn't go to Baltimore if the Wiggles put on a free concert there, and I love the Wiggles.

I lived in NYC for a few years, there's really nowhere in the 5 boroughs that make me as cautious as even the nicest areas off resort in Mex.
Thing is, pretending Mexico is fine so long as you take your private cars to your resorts and don't actually go anywhere is a terrifically exploitative approach. And I'm not the type to get all preachy about being colonizers and all that. But that approach essentially says, "I'm going to keep pumping money into that corrupt system as long as I get what I want out of it." and that doesn't really do Mexico any favors.
When there are resorts In PR and Aruba and Curacao that will take my money and you can see a government that is active on behalf of its people, there's no question where my tourism dollars will go.

Just came back a week ago from a 6 night stay at Puerto Vallarta. Our group consisted of 5 ladies who did not speak Spanish and we did not bring our kids/husbands.
Stayed at an airbnb and ubered to places we needed to go.

This ☝️ is incredibly risky. It is not a good idea to live like a local in Mexico if you don't know Spanish.

It is also not a great idea to stay in an AirBnb in Mexico in general. If you decide to take the risk, always bring your own working carbon monoxide detector. If you're curious why, google 'Carbon monoxide, AirBnb, and Mexico'.

Wasn’t referring to how you feel. How would I know? I was just stating a fact. Didn’t mean to offend.
So why mention people crossing the border for a new life? What does that have to do with safe vacation places (the subject of the post)?
Thing is, pretending Mexico is fine so long as you take your private cars to your resorts and don't actually go anywhere is a terrifically exploitative approach. And I'm not the type to get all preachy about being colonizers and all that. But that approach essentially says, "I'm going to keep pumping money into that corrupt system as long as I get what I want out of it." and that doesn't really do Mexico any favors.
When there are resorts In PR and Aruba and Curacao that will take my money and you can see a government that is active on behalf of its people, there's no question where my tourism dollars will go.
Of course, we're not talking about what tourist dollars support. The question was where in Mexico is safe to vacation. If you think everywhere in Mexico is dangerous to tourists, just say so.

Maybe a few. That might be hard to find out. What isn’t t hard to find out is the numbers of Mexicans trying to flee Mexico every day vs. the numbers of Americans trying to flee to Mexico.
There is no doubt that you can earn far more working in the US than you can in Mexico.

I lived in NYC for a few years, there's really nowhere in the 5 boroughs that make me as cautious as even the nicest areas off resort in Mex.

Why would anyone compare the safest big city in the United States against Mexico? Now if you compared some dangerous big city in the United States like Miami you might feel differently. Most tourist destinations in Mexico are far safer than most neighborhoods in south Florida.

I was thinking about Jamaica as well. Any resort or specific spot you would recommend to explore?
:rolleyes1 Well Buzz, this is a real "YMMV" thing. We've cruised all over the place, including both the Mexican Pacific coast (Mazatlan, Cabo, Ensenada, Puerto Vallarta) and Cozumel on the Caribbean side. We've stayed in resorts in Playa Del Carmen (I went there for dental care, actually) and Puerto Vallarta. In each and every place we've taken planned excursions with reputable tour companies almost every day and have had great fun and been served very well. We've rented cars in various locations and explored the Puerto Vallarta tourist district on foot and taken public transportation. Not one single time did we ever feel threatened in any way. Mexico isn't exactly our dream destination, but that's certainly not for security reasons.

Jamaica on the other hand? We've been at cruise ports twice. Ocho Rios wasn't quite so bad, but the locals in Montego Bay felt downright malevolent. We were harassed for money by many men while trying to make our way back to the pier on foot after an excursion and may have ended up in trouble if we hadn't run into a very large group of other people also walking our way. Never again - not in a million years. And in general, you couldn't pay me to go stay at an AI resort where I felt like I could never leave the compound. That's just not our kind of holiday.

To visit feels like it would be horribly exploitative, I would not go and would vehemently discourage anyone I love from going. I have no idea what is going on but feel very bad for the people living there and am shocked the US has not attempted to assist the people trying to raise families under those circumstances.

Not in Mexico is the safe way to visit Mexico. That place has now reached a concern level of mythical proportions, might as well start calling it Mordor.
The Mexican locals in the major tourist destinations make their living and feed their families on the money they earn from working in the tourism industry. Clean, honest, lucrative wages, just like you and I earn at our jobs. Removing that leaves them with nothing. I'm not sure why you would advocate for it. :confused: And the crime/danger is almost 100% related to drug cartels and corrupt law enforcement pandering to drug cartels. Pretty sure the US has attempted some intervention in that situation, albeit unsuccessfully.

My biggest concern when in Mexico is what do I do with toilet paper? Am I in an area that supports flushing or do I toss it in the provided trash can?

https://www.expatinsurance.com/arti...ed-toilet-paper-mexico-mexicans-dont-flush-tp
I assume the TP issues is like in parts of Greece.. Yes you dont flush as the pipes are too small. though I ask if poop fits why doesnt TP, but some go crazy I guess with it.. You use the wastebasket.. sounds gross, can be, but I was recently in greece and it wast that bad like one thinks. Same is with many Asian countries.

We just got back from Xcarte. Would go back tomorrow. Didn't want to come home. We never felt unsafe. I felt unsafe at Walmart the other day. Media loves to run stories.

We had an amazing time, met amazing people and the staff was the best we have ever encountered.

I’ve been twice. Cabo for a work trip and the ship ports with a Disney cruise. I’d personally avoid Mexico now. But I do know people that go to Rocky Point every weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter