Where do you like to safety vacation in Mexico?

Why would anyone compare the safest big city in the United States against Mexico? Now if you compared some dangerous big city in the United States like Miami you might feel differently. Most tourist destinations in Mexico are far safer than most neighborhoods in south Florida.
Well I brought up NYC because someone mentioned that while manhattan’s nice there are scary parts and the reality is that the risk of a vacation anywhere in NYC simply doesn’t compare to the risk of a vacation to Mexico unless your trip to Mexico involves private cars and staying inside the safety bubble of a resort. At which point there’s little more to recommend the vacation over taking a cruise where you never leave the boat.

So why mention people crossing the border for a new life? What does that have to do with safe vacation places (the subject of the post)?

Of course, we're not talking about what tourist dollars support. The question was where in Mexico is safe to vacation. If you think everywhere in Mexico is dangerous to tourists, just say so.
I think, for the time, vacationing in Mexico anywhere supports a political reality that is dangerous for many vacationers and more so for locals. It’s a very safe trip if you hire the security you need to get you to-from the resort and never leave the resort. But now we are using the economic need of a country against them in ways we cannot pretend are otherwise, and that will do an injury to us of another sort.

The Mexican locals in the major tourist destinations make their living and feed their families on the money they earn from working in the tourism industry. Clean, honest, lucrative wages, just like you and I earn at our jobs. Removing that leaves them with nothing. I'm not sure why you would advocate for it. :confused: And the crime/danger is almost 100% related to drug cartels and corrupt law enforcement pandering to drug cartels. Pretty sure the US has attempted some intervention in that situation, albeit unsuccessfully.
The only reason you are so safe and secure inside the walls of those resorts is because they have paid the cartels for your safety with what you pay them. Your vacation pays the wages for those employees and it buys the guns the enforcers will use against them.

The only reason you are so safe and secure inside the walls of those resorts is because they have paid the cartels for your safety with what you pay them. Your vacation pays the wages for those employees and it buys the guns the enforcers will use against them.
You're kidding, right? I have NEVER seen one single armed security person ANYWHERE in Mexico at or near a cruise port or any of the resorts I've stayed at. And if you read my post, you'll note we are not ones to stay at the resorts all day; we're out and around plenty. If you believe the cartels are voraciously roaming the Golden Zone in Puerta Vallarta or the piers of Cabo or Cozumel just waiting to pounce on "unprotected" tourists, well...you're either watching too much TV or it's too much something else. :rolleyes1

You're kidding, right? I have NEVER seen one single armed security person ANYWHERE in Mexico at or near a cruise port or any of the resorts I've stayed at. And if you read my post, you'll note we are not ones to stay at the resorts all day; we're out and around plenty. If you believe the cartels are voraciously roaming the Golden Zone in Puerta Vallarta or the piers of Cabo or Cozumel just waiting to pounce on "unprotected" tourists, well...you're either watching too much TV or it's too much something else. :rolleyes1
Unfortunately not kidding. The situation has worsened in some areas considerably and the government is doing what they can to protect tourism.

https://thecancunsun.com/national-guard-troops-deployed-to-tulum-beaches-to-protect-tourists/

https://english.elpais.com/internat...iers-on-its-beaches-to-guard-vacationers.html

We used to vacation in Mexico quite a bit. Last stop was Cozumel in 2018 when we were cruising. We took one of the ferries to go to Tulum. That same week a crude bomb went off on the top deck of one of those ferries. Too close for my comfort.

Last edited:

I was wondering why Mexico and other South American countries don't just simply decide to make their business legitimate? It is plain none of this is going away & the people who designed the current methods were as wrong as humans could possibly be. Back when this all started with the "Just Say No," in the 80's there was weed and dope, now there are hundreds of iterations and fentanyl poisonings all over so it all is just a giant failure. Just because things are illegal here doesn't mean it can't be legal there, why in the world are they not doing their own thing? Also why hasn't the whole business just got legit in South and Central America with beautiful glamorous resorts for their own particular brand of tourism? The toxic stuff comes here because the money is here, what if the whole dynamic was cleaned up and turned into a legit business with guidelines like any other business making the people there wealthy? Gambling was made legal and is now that whole business is far more controlled and lucrative, it's not my scene but I still think gambling is much safer now than it was when it was illegal everywhere. I wouldn't be into this sort of traveling either but with gambling as a case study isn't it possible Mexico and other countries would be safer & therefore it's neighbors be safer? Maybe it could be done safer if things were legit, taxes paid and all then the resorts that cater to the customers who want that could do that and then there would be others that don't where someone like me would go to spend money on other things. At what point to we just decide it is time for a reboot and recognize literally every attempt to suppress has been a colossal failure. I just don't get it, live and let live.

I think, for the time, vacationing in Mexico anywhere supports a political reality that is dangerous for many vacationers and more so for locals. It’s a very safe trip if you hire the security you need to get you to-from the resort and never leave the resort. But now we are using the economic need of a country against them in ways we cannot pretend are otherwise, and that will do an injury to us of another sort.
So, you believe there is NO WHERE in Mexico that is "safe"? We've been to Cozumel on cruise trips a couple of times, took taxis to Chakanaab and back, and never felt UNSAFE. The AI that we went to in Cancun had enough to entertain us (party of seven ranging in age from 7-70) for a week. No need to go elsewhere.

You realize there are people (I believe one even posted in this thread) that are SCARED to visit the US. Why do you think the US is so "safe" but Mexico isn't?

While I think Mexico is beautiful, I will not spend one penny there. Too many other places that are much safer and just as beautiful.

Where do you like to safety vacation in Mexico?
We spent a week at Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta this past February. It was lovely. It was also huge, with plenty of restaurants, a "ridonculous" pool complex, sufficient night life for us oldsters (but probably not enough for our kids--they are in their 20s), and a very pleasant beach on the bay with plenty of loungers under the shade.

As others have noted, it is perfectly possible to get to the resort via arranged transportation, and then never leave the confines of the resort. In fact, it's relatively hard to escape, much like it is at WDW. However, if you like you can easily escape by heading north on the beach, where a bit of Nuevo Vallarta is available on foot--I ended up doing that about halfway through the week, just to see it. We also did a third-party whale watching trip (that was AWESOME), and even that was taxi-to/taxi-from with no real effort on our part to make it happen.

We'd go back in a heartbeat. I'd be more inclined to go off-resort when I go back, as well. We did not feel the need to travel with armed security, but apparently we live on the wild side.

We spent a week at Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta this past February. It was lovely. It was also huge, with plenty of restaurants, a "ridonculous" pool complex, sufficient night life for us oldsters (but probably not enough for our kids--they are in their 20s), and a very pleasant beach on the bay with plenty of loungers under the shade.

As others have noted, it is perfectly possible to get to the resort via arranged transportation, and then never leave the confines of the resort. In fact, it's relatively hard to escape, much like it is at WDW. However, if you like you can easily escape by heading north on the beach, where a bit of Nuevo Vallarta is available on foot--I ended up doing that about halfway through the week, just to see it. We also did a third-party whale watching trip (that was AWESOME), and even that was taxi-to/taxi-from with no real effort on our part to make it happen.

We'd go back in a heartbeat. I'd be more inclined to go off-resort when I go back, as well. We did not feel the need to travel with armed security, but apparently we live on the wild side.
Adventure Vallarta is one of the main excursion providers - it's their brochures you'll see everywhere and their tours that are hocked out of all the kiosks. We've taken over a dozen of their tours over the past 5 years and would trust them completely.

Nice to hear your report about Vidanta. My brother bought weeks there before it was even out of the ground and we all scoffed him. Apparently he's having the last laugh - everyone who has ever been there just raves about it. :teeth:

When I was in High School (No Cal) my Dad had this brilliant idea to drive the sailboat to San Felipe in Baja California. It took us a day and a half to drive down there. Our hotel reservations got messed up, parts broke on the boat since the road was so rutted. Finally we couldn't figure out how to get the boat in the water (go find a guy who knows a guy with a big pickup, money is exchanged is about all we could figure out). We backtracked to Mission Bay in San Diego to get replacement parts for the boat - then spent the week there. It was beautiful.

So, you believe there is NO WHERE in Mexico that is "safe"? We've been to Cozumel on cruise trips a couple of times, took taxis to Chakanaab and back, and never felt UNSAFE. The AI that we went to in Cancun had enough to entertain us (party of seven ranging in age from 7-70) for a week. No need to go elsewhere.

You realize there are people (I believe one even posted in this thread) that are SCARED to visit the US. Why do you think the US is so "safe" but Mexico isn't?
Oh no, I readily concede that if you stay at a resort and take a hired car you will be as safe as you can expect to be anywhere. And comparing it to the same hotel experience at most other destinations, it will cost you quite a bit less. But your value comes at the expense of the people victimized by the organized crime your vacation is funding and that isn’t true in most similar locations.

Personally I have had fantastic vacations in curaçao and Aruba at prices similar to Mexican resorts with the advantage of being able to walk the streets even send my teenage daughter to the corner to bring back ice cream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter