Where have all the good shopping deals gone?

Christmas lights (indoor and outdoor) were marked down to 75% off BEFORE Christmas at Lowe's. I picked up a bunch but it's not because I was looking for them; I was there for glass stovetop and stainless steel cleaner for my new stove and just happened to luck out.

When my mom and I would look in See's Candies Mom and I would see clearance on their chocolate boxes but what I always thought See's did was recycle the Christmas chocolate boxes and rewrap them in Super Bowl themed boxes and then rewrap them in Valentine's Day themed cardboard hearts. And I think the big seller of the holiday deals in foods was catalogues like Hickory Farms. The Popcorn Factory did the same thing by putting the Christmas popcorn cans on clearance but only certain holiday popcorn cans were featured on clearance. But I can't figure out how Harry And David does amazing holiday clearance sales but it's none of the food people like and the clearance sales that Harry And David have are for food baskets and cheese baskets. But I think next year the stores will improve their holiday clearance deals to announce great deals starting in fall 2024

But I can't figure out how Harry And David does amazing holiday clearance sales but it's none of the food people like and the clearance sales that Harry And David have are for food baskets and cheese baskets

we used to live near one of their outlet stores and they would be stocked to the rafters with holiday clearance stuff so they may still be selling off allot this way. i also noticed recently that trader joes is once again selling h&d's pears so maybe they've partnered with some other vendors as well.

what I always thought See's did was recycle the Christmas chocolate boxes and rewrap them in Super Bowl themed boxes and then rewrap them in Valentine's Day themed cardboard hearts
I would be surprised by this. It would be a health code violation to repackage food product, making it seem "fresher" than it really is. Most candy doesn't have a "use by" date, it would be mis-representing the product. If you don't find a post-holiday sale, most likely the company either has a good idea of how many "Christmas" themed boxes to pack or they are donating leftovers.

I have been noticing that it's hard to find good deals on anything on clearance and I can't figure it out?
I agree with others that modern technology for inventory has helped retailers more closely determine how much of an item will sell. They really have no vested interest is buying excessive amounts of any product and then needing to put it on clearance sale. Clearance sale most likely means the business is losing money but trying to at least recoup a portion of their expense. If the store buys an item for $15, sells it before the holiday for $20, but then has to mark it down to $10 or even $5 as post-holiday clearance -- they've not only missed any profit but actually lost money in the process.

I noticed my local grocery story put Halloween Candy on sale a few days before the actual holiday. So maybe all the deals were had by the last-minute shoppers?

A more realistic answer it that stores are getting better at ordering just enough products to sell. I've seen it with airlines for years, where they are so good at pricing tickets right where you think "It's a lot, but I'll still pay it". Now I think stores have more data and tools than ever to estimate demand for popular and lesser known toys and gift items.

I am waiting for warmer weather and hoping winter gear goes on sale. I need thermal clothes for layering, rain gear, and winter coats for my kids. They have not worn coats in several years (they only wear hoodies to school) but we are going to Iceland this summer. They also need waterproof hiking boots, which only DH and I have right now. So I am crossing my fingers for good sales this spring. I might be out of luck.

I’m getting decent prices on traditional white sale items.
A new duvet set, Jacquard bath towel sets, dozen washcloths, mattress and box spring covers, and pillow protectors.

I am waiting for warmer weather and hoping winter gear goes on sale. I need thermal clothes for layering, rain gear, and winter coats for my kids. They have not worn coats in several years (they only wear hoodies to school) but we are going to Iceland this summer. They also need waterproof hiking boots, which only DH and I have right now. So I am crossing my fingers for good sales this spring. I might be out of luck.
Winter gear will probably start going on sale in the next month to make room for summer clothes.

I'd check the averages for temperatures in Iceland in the summer (I don't know which month you're going). It's warmer there than you might think. I went in August one year and didn't wear some of the sweaters I brought, never mind a coat. And I run cold.

if we are talking kids clothes then for the coats have you considered either an outlet store or even a thrift shop? when we went to alaska one year i snagged coats off season at the outlets for a fraction of the price. as far as thrift shops go-unless kids are insanely hard on clothing most outgrow them before they show much wear. when my kids were younger i got some items of clothing at thrift stores that looked like they were barely ever worn. just launder them well and if you don't live in a region where the kids will wear them (or they will be outgrown by the next winter)-see if there's some place you can donate to before you return from iceland (some lodgings will tell you to just leave them and they will route them to a charity).

When my mom and I would look in See's Candies Mom and I would see clearance on their chocolate boxes but what I always thought See's did was recycle the Christmas chocolate boxes and rewrap them in Super Bowl themed boxes and then rewrap them in Valentine's Day themed cardboard hearts. And I think the big seller of the holiday deals in foods was catalogues like Hickory Farms. The Popcorn Factory did the same thing by putting the Christmas popcorn cans on clearance but only certain holiday popcorn cans were featured on clearance. But I can't figure out how Harry And David does amazing holiday clearance sales but it's none of the food people like and the clearance sales that Harry And David have are for food baskets and cheese baskets. But I think next year the stores will improve their holiday clearance deals to announce great deals starting in fall 2024
I would be surprised by this. It would be a health code violation to repackage food product, making it seem "fresher" than it really is. Most candy doesn't have a "use by" date, it would be mis-representing the product. If you don't find a post-holiday sale, most likely the company either has a good idea of how many "Christmas" themed boxes to pack or they are donating leftovers.
Depending on the box, Sees will often use a sleeve that slides over the regular box or a wrap for the holidays. Either can easily be removed without opening the regular box at all. I have actually received mail orders with all the sleeves off the box that I then put on the box before I shipped it out to family.

memories of sees candy are floating in my brain-

as teens we would go to the mall on the day before major candy holidays (valentines day/easter/mothers day...) and get in the LOOOOOOOONG line at sees. not to buy anything but b/c the staff would periodically walk down the line handing out free samples :rotfl: :rotfl:

i miss marshmints-i used to belong to see's marshmint club:guilty:

I'd check the averages for temperatures in Iceland in the summer (I don't know which month you're going). It's warmer there than you might think. I went in August one year and didn't wear some of the sweaters I brought, never mind a coat. And I run cold.
And the first time I l went to Reykjavik to refuel (Icelandair) the maintenance crew were wearing winter coats with fur lined hoods while the passengers who began the flight in Belgium wore shorts and sleeveless tops. 🤷🏽‍♀️

While supply improved throughout last year, Even with inflation and the high prices many are complaining about, demand is still strong. As long as people keep buying things up at normal
Or slightly reduced sales, we won’t see deep discounts.

As far as I know Dillards hasn’t done 50% off red tag since pre pandemic. I used to love that sale at the end of each season.

I do check my travel board on FB because there are some local Icelanders on there. I have heard both "bring a winter coat" and "just dress in layers and bring rain gear." I watched a summer travel video for Iceland and the woman had on a coat in July and it was windy and brisk. I am ALWAYS cold so will probably need my coat, lol!

if we are talking kids clothes then for the coats have you considered either an outlet store or even a thrift shop? when we went to alaska one year i snagged coats off season at the outlets for a fraction of the price. as far as thrift shops go-unless kids are insanely hard on clothing most outgrow them before they show much wear. when my kids were younger i got some items of clothing at thrift stores that looked like they were barely ever worn. just launder them well and if you don't live in a region where the kids will wear them (or they will be outgrown by the next winter)-see if there's some place you can donate to before you return from iceland (some lodgings will tell you to just leave them and they will route them to a charity).
Great idea--thank you. We do live in a cold region but the kids like to wear hoodies instead of coats (to be fair, the school does not let them use lockers, just backpacks, but I won't get into that right now). They are 18 and 15 and could technically wear one of DH's coats. I really need thermal wear for layering and rain gear. They will wear the waterproof boots for hiking but I would love to find a deal.

As far as I know Dillards hasn’t done 50% off red tag since pre pandemic. I used to love that sale at the end of each season.
I heard at my local Dillard's that they won't have that sale again. Too many fights and too many resellers grabbing armfuls of Coach purses, etc.

Great idea--thank you. We do live in a cold region but the kids like to wear hoodies instead of coats (to be fair, the school does not let them use lockers, just backpacks, but I won't get into that right now). They are 18 and 15 and could technically wear one of DH's coats. I really need thermal wear for layering and rain gear. They will wear the waterproof boots for hiking but I would love to find a deal.

if you go online walmart has some of their men's thermal shirts on sale right now-george brand (which dh and ds wear allot-nice and soft, nice and warm) henley style are $7 each, ghb brand has a wide variety of colors in 3 packs marked from $49.99 down to $23.39 :thumbsup2

Our Costco seemed to have thermals on clearance earlier this month. Wasn't much left outside of size S tops for adults. Winter coats were largely gone before Christmas. I searched high and low locally for thermals before the winter storm and they were hard to find. Bass Pro was selling them at full price, but they were more expensive brands.

If you have an REI near you check them their clearance section for kids boots. We've scored some great footwear deals in recent months. Also look for the member coupons that are sent a few times a year. Member dividends are useful too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter