• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where/how do you keep a personal bag safe at Castaway Cay?

TooBoyz4us

DIS Veteran
What is your method for keeping a personal belongings bag safe at Castaway while you swim and are away from your beach chair?
I have purchased a waterproof phone case w/lanyard for ID, phone, KTTW card and a small amount of cash that we will probably just keep around our necks, so nothing majorly important will be in our bag (.Just sunscreens, water bottles, books, change of clothes possibly) But, I still wonder how everyone handles this?

:beach:

I leave it in a bag on the chair. My only valuables are my KTTW card (and ID) and phone. I might throw a shirt over the bag so my phone doesn’t get too hot in the sun if there’s direct sunlight. I’ve never had anybody take any of our stuff on any of our sailings. People are generally not there to steal.

Honestly only on one sailing has anyone even touched our stuff and that was when a couple wanted one of our two chairs (for the two of us) so they moved our stuff on to one while we were at lunch. I asked for our spot back and the begrudgingly gave it while complaining about lack of chairs.

What is your method for keeping a personal belongings bag safe at Castaway while you swim and are away from your beach chair?
I have purchased a waterproof phone case w/lanyard for ID, phone, KTTW card and a small amount of cash that we will probably just keep around our necks, so nothing majorly important will be in our bag (.Just sunscreens, water bottles, books, change of clothes possibly) But, I still wonder how everyone handles this?

:beach:
People have different comfort levels with this, but I have never felt a need to secure a bag at CC. Like you, I would not have anything of real value in my beach bag - towels, changes of clothes, book. Just not concerned.

Never felt the need to secure my stuff. Phone is buried deep in my beach bag. No need for cash on island.

FWIW, whenever I go to the beach here I never secure my belongings either. I lock my wallet in the glove box BEFORE I leave, my beach bag really only has my keys and phone. (I'm not too worried about someone going after my sunscreen, book or towel.)

The only thing I have of value is my phone. No one wants my sunscreen or my library book. I shove the phone deep into my bag and don’t give it a second thought. Once I left my phone in the restroom and it was already en route to the customer service kiosk after having been turned in instantly.

The only thing I have of value is my phone. No one wants my sunscreen or my library book. I shove the phone deep into my bag and don’t give it a second thought. Once I left my phone in the restroom and it was already en route to the customer service kiosk after having been turned in instantly.

Never had anything touched on CC, but someone did walk away with my bottle of sunscreen I left on the side table next to my lounger at Satellite Falls on The Fantasy.

@Calantha told me once about a Reliance SafeGo portable safe that sells on Amazon for about $40-50. Looks good size and seems to have options for number lock or a key.
Yes, I use it on Castaway and up on the pool deck if it is just me and DS. It holds my stuff, but not my mom’s iPhone 8, so larger phones probably won’t fit.

I always leave my stuff out, but I don’t take cash on CC since there isn’t any need. Though last time someone moved all our things off one of our loungers onto our other one (we had 3 since we were three people) and took the lounger while we were at lunch. I didn’t appreciate that, but they didn’t steal anything at least

I always leave my stuff out, but I don’t take cash on CC since there isn’t any need. Though last time someone moved all our things off one of our loungers onto our other one (we had 3 since we were three people) and took the lounger while we were at lunch. I didn’t appreciate that, but they didn’t steal anything at least
We had something like this happen. We had a very minimal amount of stuff in a little mesh bag that we left on a bag while we did the snorkel trail. It was on a Lounger in like the 5th row with tons of empty loungers around it. When we came back I could not find it! I was starting to freak a bit because I knew right where we left it. I found it on the same chair but someone had also put their towel/clothes on the chair. It was weird because there were still so many empty ones and we werent gone that long.

We just go in with some faith and trust (and knowledge no one is going to want our junk if I'm frank). The only folks around are fellow guests and staff, anyway. We tucked our phones and KTTWC into the sling bag and tossed the towels on top so our hats and my sundress wouldn't blow away. Who would be foolish enough to steal an iPhone these days? They're encrypted and its not like Apple is going to unlock them for anyone but the owner. An old hairbrush, mostly used tube of sunblock, sandals, and my husband's shirt rounded out our bounty... hardly anyone's windfall on our lounger! :laughing:

It's a good question. We don't take anything of value onto CC. There is a safe in your room.
Phone and key card is in a waterproof pouch around someone's neck or zipped in a waterproof pocket. So the only thing at our spot is a beach bag with Sun lotion and snorkeling gear (but mostly thats being used). The towels belong to Disney and there are plenty. So there really isn't anything to steal from anyone.
Someone mentioned they lost a bottle of lotion. But it may not have been stolen. For example. A cast member could have picked it up as lost and found item.

No known history of thefts on the island is one of the selling points of visiting Castaway Cay. Even with all the matching Disney bags and towels, cruisers don’t end up with stuff inadvertently going missing.

I’d go with a clear waterproof camera bag/holder if I didn’t feel safe. I don’t take my iPad to any beach (sand).

In the old days, the Bahamian goods kiosk only took cash; did it come back after Irma? Tips for bartenders can be added to the charge receipt. Effectively a cashless island.?.

I don't keep anything of major value (or can't be replaces easily) in my beach bag. Just a towel, maybe some clothes, water bottle, sun screen, etc.

I wear one of those water proof phone cases around my neck when I'm there. It was my phone, passport, money, tickets for excursions, etc in it. I never take it off except for excursions that require it when I have a locked locker

We keep almost everything in our in-room safe and just get off with our KTTW at CC. Almost no need for anything else at CC.

@Calantha told me once about a Reliance SafeGo portable safe that sells on Amazon for about $40-50. Looks good size and seems to have options for number lock or a key.
I'm cruising solo on the Wish this weekend and bought this to use for CC. I know my stuff would probably be just fine, but this give me extra peace of mind. And if I want to go in the water I won't feel like I have to keep looking back to make sure it's still there.

It'll fit my phone, my kindle (out of the case), and my KTTW card, which are the only valuables I'd bring. Sunscreen/water bottle I can leave in my drawstring and if that were to get taken it wouldn't be the worst thing.

We don't take anything onto CC except room key and towels. We don't take our phones but I'd probably do a waterproof phone pouch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter