Where in the plane do you like to sit?

Window will be #1 choice.
Towards the front of the plane. (especially if making a connection)
Exit Row if available.

Ideally, FC (occasionally get upgraded) or Comfort+ (anything over ~ 3 1/2 hours I'll book. otherwise occasionally upgraded).

If I'm by myself I prefer window, so I can lean against it to sleep. The big drawback is having to ask others to move when I need the restroom.

We usually travel as a family of 4 though, and the kids both want windows, so we usually book window/middle in one row, and then the row right behind also window/middle. If the kids would get over the window thing, we would probably book 3 in a row and then one across the aisle, but at the same time, I get the appeal of the windows, and it has worked for us for many years.

Our middle DS just booked our flights from Detroit to Charleston, SC. He knows I like the window seat either before or after the wing. I love to look out the window especially now when I can follow the plane's flight pattern :love:

DH is happy with being next to me which means middle or aisle depending on the size of the plane. :)
I prefer window. I kinda like the row behind the exit seat because I feel like the ppl. in those seats are less likely to sit back since they already have more leg room.

When my kids were little though. I always sat in the aisle because I would be worried about them falling asleep out into the aisle. Now that they're older my youngest sits in the middle and 2nd oldest in the aisle (it's what she prefers).

If my oldest travels with us, he usually prefers a window. to sleep behind us. If my dh were to travel with us (VERY RARE), he'd take the aisle of the seat with my oldest.

When they were younger and we only had 2,we always traveled with 1 adult and both kids in 1 row with the other. parent in front. - I just thought it'd be best to keep our crazy in 1 row lol.

Eta: If we're flying SW, we head to the back for a chance at empty rows so we can spread out.

Last edited:

always end up in middle seat mid plane b/c DS likes window & DH is tall a needs aisle. 🙄🤣
This is me as well. I can't let them sit next to each other or they're like two little kids. :rotfl:

If I'm flying with just one of them, though, I get the window (my actual favorite), he takes the aisle, and we hope the flight isn't full and the middle is left open.

We usually travel as a family of 4 though, and the kids both want windows, so we usually book window/middle in one row, and then the row right behind also window/middle.
Just a suggestion... book window/aisle (leave the middle empty). When you board, if someone wants to sit or is sitting in the middle, offer them the aisle. Very few people will turn that trade down, and you get the chance that no one is in the middle and you have the row to yourself.

The thinking is if someone is selecting a seat and they see the aisle available, they might willingly grab it. But if it's the middle available, they'll go to a different row for an aisle.

In sept we got back from the British isles cruise. We flew home on British air. The seat were just horrible. I paid for a bit of the upgrade to the upper deck. Unfortunately I didn’t realize we were behind exit row. The person in front with all the legroom anyone would want reclined her seat all the way back for the whole 9 hr flight. The trays were the rows that folded in half. I had the her seat in my gut the whole way. The arm rest didn’t go up so I couldn’t even slide to get in or out.
So for the whole flight I couldn’t do anything there was no way to get comfortable so I just stared ahead. When we finally got Chicago my eyeballs actually hurt.

To add even more fun the person sitting next to her for some reason woukd basically throw himself into his seat so hard the seat woukd push back and slam right into DH knees which are bad to start with. The guy did this twice not sure if he heard us talking about it but the third he sat down like a normal person

When we got home I sent a complaint letter to British and got a refund of 200$. Which was nice but man that was an awful trip.

Forgot to mention that the seats in the upper level were just 2 together

Last edited:
Just landed two hours ago from San Antonio returning to midway. Always fly southwest and take a window towards the back. We always check luggage so you’re going to have to wait any way. We were fortunate that we had no one in the middle seat on both legs of the trip. I enjoy looking out and find that I get more space.

I have an extreme phobia of flying, but I do fly every once in a while. It's almost always Southwest. I go all the way to the back, and try and sit in either the second or third to last row. I like an aisle seat, because I am up at least once or twice to use the restroom.

I have booked aisle seat for years due to mild claustrophobia. Our last flight DH and I were separated and I got a window seat. The first few minutes were uncomfortable but once I got used to it, I was fine. I guess I won't be afraid of the window seat now. Also, now that I have my turtle style scarf pillow, I can probably sleep in any seat even if I'm not next to DH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter