• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where is Josh D'Amaro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been to Tokyo Disney twice, in 2014 and 2016, for four days each trip. While there’s definitely so great stuff there, it‘s not that much greater or a better value than WDW.

I'm surprised to hear that take. IME the food was significantly better, the prices were lower, the tickets are like half the price, the "show" quality was higher, and the resorts are at least comparable to Monorail Loop prices.

There are elements of Tokyo DisneyLand itself that are weak compared to DL and MK, where you can definitely feel the space limitations they were working with, but conversely Disney Sea is IMV in a class of its own.

I'm surprised to hear that take. IME the food was significantly better, the prices were lower, the tickets are like half the price, the "show" quality was higher, and the resorts are at least comparable to Monorail Loop prices.

There are elements of Tokyo DisneyLand itself that are weak compared to DL and MK, where you can definitely feel the space limitations they were working with, but conversely Disney Sea is IMV in a class of its own.

Plus you are in Tokyo one of the most amazing places on the planet,
Like tech go to the Akihabara and prepare to have your mind blown.

Like Toys go to the toy tower in Ginza. Ride the Shinkanzen

As compared to at DL you are 5 blocks away from the 'Hood and let's face it no one wants to be in downtown Orlando unless you have a squad of Marines with you and are riding in a Bradley.

Does anyone from the Disney family actually work for the Disney company anymore? as in descendents of Walt or Roy? I feel like Walt would be spinning in his grave if he could see what a dumpster fire the most recent CEO's have started with all the poor park related decisions they make. I know it's a business but what happened to customer satisfaction being the highest priority?
the most recent CEO's, as in you think Iger made poor park related decisions? Are you insane or you don't know who the CEO's have been?

the most recent CEO's, as in you think Iger made poor park related decisions? Are you insane or you don't know who the CEO's have been?

The most recent's CEO's the Bob and Bob show have used the parks and resorts BU as an ATM to prop up the rest of the Disney empire, There are no Disney's left as either employees or board members.

The most recent's CEO's the Bob and Bob show have used the parks and resorts BU as an ATM to prop up the rest of the Disney empire, There are no Disney's left as either employees or board members.
Iger will never be topped as far as CEO's not named Walt. They spent almost $7B on the parks in 2019. People on here really don't have a clue sometimes. When I was a kid they went a decade without a new ride. They were in the process of basically rebuilding Epcot, adding two huge e-tickets Tron and Guardians plus just finished Galaxy's Edge on both coasts when the pandemic hit. Not to mention turning Pixar Pier into something and finishing off making CFA a legitimate park.

Last edited:
Iger will never be topped as far as CEO's not named Walt. They spent almost $7B on the parks in 2019. People on here really don't have a clue sometimes. When I was a kid they went a decade without a new ride. They were in the process of basically rebuilding Epcot, adding two huge e-tickets Tron and Guardians plus just finished Galaxy's Edge on both coasts when the pandemic hit. Not to mention turning Pixar Pier into something and finishing off making CFA a legitimate park.

Under Eisner and CEO's before him approximately 20-25% of revenue from P&R was spent reinvesting in the parks themselves Eisner grew Disney's market cap 800% Eisner built AK, DLP, California Adventure DVC and HKDL. Since then The Bob's have been onboard they grew market cap 60% and have managed to replace a few rides oh and built Shanghai DL at great cost to the US parks which had huge cuts to finance the reconstruction of many buildings which were built in the usual Chinese method of 'cheap and cheerful..'

Under the Bob's BRILLIANT management 6-8% of revenue was reinvested in the parks. Under the same geniuses during their tenure anywhere from 50 to 110% of free cash flow was spent on stock buybacks. which do nothing but artificially inflate EPS and make Wall St happy.

So yeah not impressed with the Bob's they've managed to pump the stock price but Disney has nothing left in the gas tank for the NEXT management team who will probably preside over the fire sale of the DIsney empire which is built on very shaky foundations.

Exactly this. Hopefully things get better and more attractions / entertainment start being added back in again, but I'm not so sure...

I don’t think so muchof what was cut supposedly because of covid were planned to be cut anyway going forward a WDW experience is likely to be s pale shadow of what used to be.

and hey lets cut the buses because the rich people arriving on their gulfstream 7 dont like buses. In their dreams, WDW is no longer the place to be seen like it was in the 70’s when the beatles broke up.

Maybe I'm just too positive, but the last 5-ish years at WDW have been by far the most magical for me. Very much including my 2 Covid trips, as those are very high up on my list of most favorite trips. August 2020 probably being my all time favorite trip. I'm kinda glad I don't see all this negativity that others see.

Under Eisner and CEO's before him approximately 20-25% of revenue from P&R was spent reinvesting in the parks themselves Eisner grew Disney's market cap 800% Eisner built AK, DLP, California Adventure DVC and HKDL. Since then The Bob's have been onboard they grew market cap 60% and have managed to replace a few rides oh and built Shanghai DL at great cost to the US parks which had huge cuts to finance the reconstruction of many buildings which were built in the usual Chinese method of 'cheap and cheerful..'

Under the Bob's BRILLIANT management 6-8% of revenue was reinvested in the parks. Under the same geniuses during their tenure anywhere from 50 to 110% of free cash flow was spent on stock buybacks. which do nothing but artificially inflate EPS and make Wall St happy.

So yeah not impressed with the Bob's they've managed to pump the stock price but Disney has nothing left in the gas tank for the NEXT management team who will probably preside over the fire sale of the DIsney empire which is built on very shaky foundations.
literally everything you said is inaccurate, but ok. Eisner does deserve credit for acquiring Pixar after Iger burned the bridge and then also acquiring Marvel which has produced the most lucrative movie franchise in history and Lucas Film which has paid for itself 5x over. Not to mention getting the majority stake in Bamtech which drives the streaming business which kept the company from real danger the last year and the Fox acquisition. Oh wait, that was Iger, not Eisner. Other then that you make some compelling made up points about % of revenue. Hong Kong and DCA were garbage when they opened and have literally been rebuilt. AK is obviously a a gem. If you're revenue increases X fold the % of revenue reinvested may go down but the nominal dollars invested are pretty good. If you want to make up some statistics, that's fine, the financials are public record. My favorite Eisner achievement was destroying the people mover in land for a stupid race car thing that broke in a year because they were too cheap to just make a different ride. Meanwhile, the Luigi ride in CARS LAND was completely different when it opened, Iger rode it, said this sucks and they blew it up and started over.

literally everything you said is inaccurate, but ok. Eisner does deserve credit for acquiring Pixar after Iger burned the bridge and then also acquiring Marvel which has produced the most lucrative movie franchise in history and Lucas Film which has paid for itself 5x over. Not to mention getting the majority stake in Bamtech which drives the streaming business which kept the company from real danger the last year and the Fox acquisition. Oh wait, that was Iger, not Eisner. Other then that you make some compelling made up points about % of revenue. Hong Kong and DCA were garbage when they opened and have literally been rebuilt. AK is obviously a a gem. If you're revenue increases X fold the % of revenue reinvested may go down but the nominal dollars invested are pretty good. If you want to make up some statistics, that's fine, the financials are public record. My favorite Eisner achievement was destroying the people mover in land for a stupid race car thing that broke in a year because they were too cheap to just make a different ride. Meanwhile, the Luigi ride in CARS LAND was completely different when it opened, Iger rode it, said this sucks and they blew it up and started over.

Bzzt wrong, the greenlight for the DCA overhaul was given by Eisner, Iger took credit for the park as is typical for American executives to claim credit for work others did the heavy lifting for.

And there was that moment of schadenfreude when the Chinese govt kicked Iger out of the country on Shanghai Disneyland’s opening day

Iger does not visit the parks unlike Eisner who wore fur and dished up QS.

As for Star Wars well Iger’s team accomplished the impossible they killed the Star Wars brand. When ToysRUs went out of business the only unsold merchandise was the Star Wars toys. Even all the WWE stuff sold (just check out the hundreds of toysrus last day videos for confirmation) and Disney lost money on the solo movie.

As for Marvel anyone could have bought them for a used ford pinto and a gas card. At least Disney did not kill that brand but some of us dont care about superheroes. I will admit to some affinity for Tony Stark as he builds things

i’m a fan of Disney Parks and Artwork I’m not bedazzled by the Disney brand, which has become synonymous with everything wrong with American businesses and their governance.

the only thing Iger cares about is his obscene compensation package he cares nothing for the product or the people who produce it. Its just a ‘Brand’ to him.

Im pretty sure Josh is hanging out with Eric Smith to answer the original question.

As for the CP3 doubting the statistics, please provide the actual %s if they are wrong.

Im pretty sure Josh is hanging out with Eric Smith to answer the original question.

As for the CP3 doubting the statistics, please provide the actual %s if they are wrong.
So the troll can just make up numbers and we're supposed to refute his made up stats? That makes zero sense.

Look at my initial responses if you want to know my answer to this question.

So the troll can just make up numbers and we're supposed to refute his made up stats? That makes zero sense.

Look at my initial responses if you want to know my answer to this question.

Hes the only one to provide stats and most of them seem reasonable so yeah

Maybe I'm just too positive, but the last 5-ish years at WDW have been by far the most magical for me. Very much including my 2 Covid trips, as those are very high up on my list of most favorite trips. August 2020 probably being my all time favorite trip. I'm kinda glad I don't see all this negativity that others see.
You obviously weren't going back in the 80s/90s when WDW was truly a magical experience.

Just to make sure we're clear, Eisner was responsible for the dumpster fire that DCA was when it opened, right? Because he was. You have no clue what you're talking about.
The defense is strong in this one. It amazes me the lengths people will go to defend the Mouse.

You obviously weren't going back in the 80s/90s when WDW was truly a magical experience.
Lol, I'd love to know how that's so obvious (though it's 100% incorrect, but you know what happens when you assume). Just because something isn't magical for you, doesn't mean it isn't for others.

Glad to hear you've had some great trips. I'm curious to know when your other COVID trip was? The breakdown in park experiences under Josh I referred to in Post #1 have been most apparent in the last 3 months. I think most people who attended last summer like you would say they had an incredible time - because crowds were super low, as were wait times and lines. It was not next to impossible to get a park pass on short notice back then either.

I also think that those who value night time touring are the ones feeling the changes the most right now. If you aren't normally a fan of night time touring of the parks or the added shows / fireworks, etc., then it's probably not a big deal for you.

Glad to hear you've had some great trips. I'm curious to know when your other COVID trip was? The breakdown in park experiences under Josh I referred to in Post #1 have been most apparent in the last 3 months. I think most people who attended last summer like you would say they had an incredible time - because crowds were super low, as were wait times and lines. It was not next to impossible to get a park pass on short notice back then either.

I also think that those who value night time touring are the ones feeling the changes the most right now. If you aren't normally a fan of night time touring of the parks or the added shows / fireworks, etc., then it's probably not a big deal for you.
It was in late February. I enjoy fireworks, but it's far from a deal breaker for me to miss out on those.

ETA: It wasn't quite as nice as my August trip (it's hard to beat walking right on to FOP 5 times in a row). But it was still fantastic, and definitely one of my all time favorite trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter