• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where is the FOP line when you should skip it at RD?

donalds friend

Earning My Ears
I plan on rope dropping AK. However, I am not one that wants to run and push to get to the front of the line. I plan to "Walk with purpose" without running. So, is there a particular spot you would say that the line would reach that is too long once you get there? I have FOP fastpasses and want to make sure I get on Navi. I would like to do FOP twice, but not at the expense of eating up that first hour at the park by standing in line.

FoP is kind of different than other rope drops, in that they will let people into AK, and then hold people at the entrance to Avatar as well in a crowd. And then even if you're the very first in line, you are not going to be in and out of FoP in a few minutes and then be able to run to Navi. It takes about 20 minutes just to walk thru the queue without any line, and then add in the attraction time, you're at 35-40 minutes to experience FoP, like I said even if you're in that very first group.

Having tried various rope drops before, I personally would stick with the FP and if you want to ride a second time get in line about 5 minutes prior to park closing. The actual wait time will be less than what is posted and you don't have to deal with the morning madness.

And yes, the buses back to your resort will still be running when you get off the ride, that is a question I see a lot, but they know when there are still guests in the park.

Having tried various rope drops before, I personally would stick with the FP and if you want to ride a second time get in line about 5 minutes prior to park closing. The actual wait time will be less than what is posted and you don't have to deal with the morning madness.

And yes, the buses back to your resort will still be running when you get off the ride, that is a question I see a lot, but they know when there are still guests in the park.

Plus, the area looks totally different at night so you'll get to enjoy the atmosphere in two different ways. In the day so you can see the details, and at night where the details are obscured by darkness but illuminated with beautiful colors.

I also think doing it close to park close is the way to go. I do this usually a couple of times per trip. The posted wait time is always exaggerated and, as a bonus, the people you'll be waiting in line with are all in a great mood. My most recent experience, in December, was a posted wait time of 120 minutes and an actual wait time of about 40 minutes. Not bad, and the queue area of FoP is wonderful.

There is yet another strategy, which is after you've used your 3 FP+s for the day, try and try again and again for FoP to be your 4th FP+. It does happen. Sometimes it's easier than you could hope for. Sometimes it's impossible. But try.

I plan on rope dropping AK. However, I am not one that wants to run and push to get to the front of the line. I plan to "Walk with purpose" without running. So, is there a particular spot you would say that the line would reach that is too long once you get there? I have FOP fastpasses and want to make sure I get on Navi. I would like to do FOP twice, but not at the expense of eating up that first hour at the park by standing in line.

When you say, "rope drop AK," do you mean getting there at rope drop or getting there about 45 min to an hour BEFORE rope drop? They will open AK earlier than the stated rope drop time. If you're there at the 45 min before mark, you won't have to run and can walk with purpose with everyone else. You'll likely be on the ride before the park actually opens.

I do rope drop at AK every chance I can; it's not stressful, and I don't run, I've never been shoved. Get there an hour early, head straight to Pandora and straight into line. No one can really judge by where the end of the line is as they line you up a bit different depending on day, and you can't trust the posted wait time. I ride FoP then straight onto NRJ, FoP by itself won't eat up the hour, but FoP and NRJ together will, but when that puts you done by depends on when they open the park and when they start the ride. It takes time to walk the queue, line up in the holding pens, go through pre-show and ride the ride.

Whatever way you choose to ride FoP, hope you have a lot of fun!

I have done the “walk with purpose” style of rope drop at AK 6 different times. It works so well that I have always walked off FoP at the same time the park was scheduled to open. Navi was only a 15 minute wait after riding FoP. Get to the park 75 minutes before scheduled park opening, they will let you in the park at about 45 minutes before the scheduled opening, and they will open the FoP ride 30 minutes before scheduled park opening. It works!

We arrived via Disney bus 45 min before opening. They scanned us into the park only a few mins after arriving. We did walk very fast after being scanned in. When we got to the rope we had a lot of people in front of us, see picture. The line seemed crazy long and posted time was 60 min. In actuality it took 20 min and most of that was walking through the queue. We did Navi right after and it was a walk on. We had FP later in the day and enjoyed it even more the second time around. Good luck and have fun!!

[GALLERY=]20190324_072457-1209x1612.jpg [/GALLERY]

I found the AK RD walk to FOP less "crazy" than my HS RD walk to SDD on my last trip. I think the narrower pathway through Discovery Island kept the crowd in better order. And the longer walk slowed down some folks. Yes - some folks that were behind me made it to the ride in front of me because they walked faster. But I felt the weaving by and bumping was less aggressive at AK than HS. I'd recommend AK RD for FOP - especially for those of us who aren't night people, but morning people. But yes - you have to be there EARLY!

There is NO WAY you can miss the path to Pandora whether you are walking with purpose or not. It is a sea of humanity. You get in it and just flow.

We arrived via Disney bus 45 min before opening. They scanned us into the park only a few mins after arriving. We did walk very fast after being scanned in. When we got to the rope we had a lot of people in front of us, see picture. The line seemed crazy long and posted time was 60 min. In actuality it took 20 min and most of that was walking through the queue. We did Navi right after and it was a walk on. We had FP later in the day and enjoyed it even more the second time around. Good luck and have fun!!

[GALLERY=]View attachment 394415 [/GALLERY]

Wow, look at that line at RD above. Makes me glad I paid the $$$ for CLFP+ and made my selections at 90 days from checkout. Now after my 8:00 AM Tusker House ADR and at RD, I'll just head over to EE and ride that a couple of times without any lines and then head over to FOP and Navi' for my FP's. I originally thought I'd do this and walk with a purpose (LOL), ride FOP, then use my Navi FP and then do FOP again but with the FP. I'll pass on that initial crowd. LOL

In September I arrived with my parents at the AK gate about 10 minutes after the scheduled opening time, waited for my mother to make a restroom visit, and then casually walked to FOP. From getting to the end of the line to walking out through the gift shop was about 70 minutes.

Advice for RD Na’vi? We have a FP for FOP at 11am but want to RD and go to Na’vi first. Is there an alternate route to Na’vi somehow or do you have to wait with all the FOP people? I’m sure we don’t have to be there 75mins before opening though... thoughts?

Advice for RD Na’vi? We have a FP for FOP at 11am but want to RD and go to Na’vi first. Is there an alternate route to Na’vi somehow or do you have to wait with all the FOP people? I’m sure we don’t have to be there 75mins before opening though... thoughts?

You can definitely let the herd heading to FoP go back and they keep right-ish after crossing the Pandora bridge. The NRJ peeps keep left. It's worth still showing up around 30 min early because many times they open Pandora and the rides before the park opens, so if you have other things you want to do after NRJ but before FoP, you'll have plenty of time to go do that.

You can definitely let the herd heading to FoP go back and they keep right-ish after crossing the Pandora bridge. The NRJ peeps keep left. It's worth still showing up around 30 min early because many times they open Pandora and the rides before the park opens, so if you have other things you want to do after NRJ but before FoP, you'll have plenty of time to go do that.

Thank you so much :) We have a FP for Kilimanjaro with our later-arriving family (with little ones) for 10-11 window so that's perfect. We'll plan to get the bus from our resort an hour before park open then! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter