Where is the worst place you have ever slept?

Hostel in Moab, Utah. We had planned on camping but all the campsites were full. No hotels available and the B&Bs wouldn't take us because we had a child.
This was not a youth hostel, but an old house that housed quite a few men (never saw any women or children). When we walked in, everyone sitting in the large living room, turned from the tv and stared at us. The room was packed with men sitting on benches along the walls and sofas in the middle. They watched us as we checked in and as we ascended the stairs to our room upstairs.
We had to share the hallway bathroom, which had a hole where the previous doorknob had been. We got up to leave as soon as it was light. Discovered then that we could see through the floor into a room downstairs! As we came down the stairs, the tv watchers were still there, staring at us as we left. It appeared they had all slept there.
Really strange place.

LAX. Every 15 minutes came the announcement “ attention passengers please do not leave your bags unattended.....” in an empty airport it was so loud and echoey. This was after traveling already 20 hours from Singapore via stop in Taiwan. Took us another 20plus hours to get home to Chicago. That was a loooong trip back home.

or in a car. We toured Ireland and the 3 of us slept in a small compact. some parking lot near the beach in Galway. We left our shoes outside overnight, mine were gone in the morning. Poor college kids who had no hotel money. 😩

Done that too, overnight due to missing a flight weather related, no food (other than vending), no blanket and no hotel rooms. I remember the cleaning machines banging into the two plastic chairs I made into a "bed" with my laptop bag as a pillow as a sort of torture to keep me awake. Brutal.

The airline did give us some snacks, blankets, and a little kit with some toiletries. I tried sleeping in a chair, but they all had armrests so there wasn't any room to stretch out. On the floor with my backpack as a pillow worked best.

In the jump seat of a fire engine coming back from fire calls at 3am. Did it many times. In some of our older fire apparatus back in the day the back jump seats were open to the weather. Imagine doing this when it was 20 degrees out side. Some how I did it.

I was gonna say a hotel in Trinidad, CA (the far north coast) except I didn't "sleep" there. I was there. I laid in a bed. But, there was no sleeping possible. Dirty. Disgusting. Most uncomfortable beds ever. It was a "cabin" and cute from the outside. The bed was a double (and DH and I are both tall people, and he's a big muscular guy), which was a huge strike to start with. But, it was the ONLY place that wasn't full (which was a shocker to us....it was September, well beyond tourist season, and mid week) so we took it. The bed was in a room barely big enough for the double bed. And, the floors sloped badly. Very badly. I kept rolling into my husband (no way to avoid doing that) and he was scrunched against the wall. Ridiculous. So, I abandoned ship and went to the "pull out" couch. No bedding for it whatsoever. I pulled a sleeping bag from the rear of the car and attempted to get comfortable. Uh. No. We "got up" at 4:30 and said "screw it" let's move on. We did manage to hit Lady Bird Johnson Grove just as the sun rose, so that was the side benefit. That was glorious. But, never ever ever stay at the Ocean Grove Lodge. Unless you are looking for a good place not to sleep.

My parents were big into camping when I was a kid. They tell me the most uncomfortable night ever was a night in Lassen NP when I was about 2. It was just cold well beyond what they were prepared for.
From my personal memory, I slept in a folding chair waiting in line to get my son signed up for after-school care when he was going into Kindergarten. A whole group of us that had kids that had all gone to the same preschool did it. REALLY uncomfortable, but the worst part? The kids all hated it. Within a couple of years we all made different arrangements.

Red Eye flights - HATE them! I cannot sleep on planes. The seats are just at the wrong pitch and I've never found a pillow that can keep my head in a comfortable position. My first red-eye was LAX-Boston on my honeymoon with my new wife. I could not sleep and we could not check in to our hotel until afternoon. We walked the Freedom trail and when we got to the benches in front of Faneuil Hall I begged her to let me sleep for 15 minutes. We sat down and I slept with my head on her shoulder - best 15 minutes of sleep ever! The trip was saved - and maybe our marriage? Been married 25 years now.

When I was 8 I went on a road trip with my parents. This was the 80s before internet and cell phones. We would just stay the night at whatever hotel we were near. One night there were no rooms to be found. Some sort of convention in town or something. After driving and stopping at several hotels it was after midnight. One hotel manager had pity on us and let us sleep on the pull out in his office! My dad is not a small man, but there the 3 of us slept that night on a pull out couch in a hotel managers office. Luckily being 8 this didn’t bother me and I fell right to sleep. My parents remember it being much worse than I do 😂

LAX. Every 15 minutes came the announcement “ attention passengers please do not leave your bags unattended.....” in an empty airport it was so loud and echoey. This was after traveling already 20 hours from Singapore via stop in Taiwan. Took us another 20plus hours to get home to Chicago. That was a loooong trip back home.

or in a car. We toured Ireland and the 3 of us slept in a small compact. some parking lot near the beach in Galway. We left our shoes outside overnight, mine were gone in the morning. Poor college kids who had no hotel money. 😩
Your airport story is worse than mine!

I also fell asleep like this in a train station in London. We'd been on ferry from Dublin to Wales, then a cold as ice train from Wales to London all night. My friend and I fell asleep like this waiting for the train to Paris. Part of my face fell asleep.

20200720_215311.jpg

Although I responded up-thread with a couple of "worsts" I will add that the one hotel chain I will NEVER stay at is TravelLodge. I have stayed in 3 different TLs in 3 different states and they have all been equally disgusting. Never again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter