Where to eat at with at trip to the Atlanta Aquarium?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Going to visit the World of Coke and the Atlanta Aquarium tomorrow for the first time, so where she we eat in Atlanta, or the surrounding area? Somewhere really good, maybe unique and fun? Me, husband and two girls. I looovvvvee desserts, so somewhere with great sweet items? Thanks.

We were in that area last year. We ate at the Varsity, Municipal Market, and had appetizers and drinks in the Sun Dial Lounge at sunset. There seemed to be lots of good places. In the past, I’ve also gone up to the Little Five Points area.

ETA The only dessert I remember was from the restaurant in our hotel, the Marriott Marquis. It was a huge nacho-like concoction made with cinnamon chips, vanilla ice cream, fudge, cherries and who knows what else.

Last edited:
I live in the Atlanta area, but don't have much to offer on suggestions for restaurants...we don't eat out much. I know The Varsity is supposed to be the popular place in Atlanta, so maybe try that.

We just went to the World of Coke a few months ago. It's pretty neat. Interesting history and artifacts. The Coke sampling area is insane...go in with an empty bladder. :D

I lived in Atlanta for a while, and if you're into sweets you might try Cafe Intermezzo. They have a huge, fresh selection every day that was well known as a great dessert spot.

Locke St and Marietta St right by the aquarium seems to have a plethora of restaurants to choose from. At least that's what Google Maps says.

Fandangles seems to be the highest rated downtown restaurant on tripadvisor.

Last edited:
I lived in Atlanta for a while, and if you're into sweets you might try Cafe Intermezzo. They have a huge, fresh selection every day that was well known as a great dessert spot.
I will look up that Cafe. The Varsity, been there, done that. One place I like in Marietta is the Marietta Diner. Cool theme and amazing desserts.

Lived in Atalanta since 2001 and I work a block from the Aquarium. I think the Varsirty is disgusting but it seems to be loved by the tourists. What kind of food do you like? Tons of touristy places around aquarium, but there is also tons of foodie style restaurants in the downtown, west end, and midtown areas. Name a type you’re after and I’ll point you that way.

Lived in Atalanta since 2001 and I work a block from the Aquarium. I think the Varsirty is disgusting but it seems to be loved by the tourists. What kind of food do you like? Tons of touristy places around aquarium, but there is also tons of foodie style restaurants in the downtown, west end, and midtown areas. Name a type you’re after and I’ll point you that way.
Any "themed" type restaurants? I'll say this, if they hadn't just built my favorite restaurant in the world up in Chattanooga, The Cheesecake Factory, we would be eating there today.

We were there this past December and had a wonderful time at the aquarium, but felt that World of Coke was a complete waste of money. Unfortunately for us our kids were not into straying too far form the aquarium to eat so we just ate at a chain restaurant (Chipolte or Moes, can't remember which). But it was practically across the street. We did splurge for dinner and ate at Ruth Chris and that was a nice treat.

We were there this past December and had a wonderful time at the aquarium, but felt that World of Coke was a complete waste of money. Unfortunately for us our kids were not into straying too far form the aquarium to eat so we just ate at a chain restaurant (Chipolte or Moes, can't remember which). But it was practically across the street. We did splurge for dinner and ate at Ruth Chris and that was a nice treat.
Never tried a Ruth Chris. Might have too one day.

Pounce city market is pretty close and a great place to visit. Tons of restaurants and upscale shopping all in the renovated old sears building.

Going to visit the World of Coke and the Atlanta Aquarium tomorrow for the first time, so where she we eat in Atlanta, or the surrounding area? Somewhere really good, maybe unique and fun? Me, husband and two girls. I looovvvvee desserts, so somewhere with great sweet items? Thanks.

Tip from experience, if you're using your phone to map the route to get there, DON'T plug in the Atlanta Aquarium, that'll get you an aquarium supply store about 30 minutes from the Georgia Aquarium, which is where you want to go. :)

We were there last March and we had a great lunch at Der Biergarten.

We were there on a Saturday so lunch was available--I don't believe lunch is served through the week. Really cool place with indoor and outdoor dining options.

Any "themed" type restaurants? I'll say this, if they hadn't just built my favorite restaurant in the world up in Chattanooga, The Cheesecake Factory, we would be eating there today.

Walking distance - There's a German themed bier garten near by(mentioned by Tess), if you like beer and German food and it has a great rooftop deck. And a BBQ place called Twin Smokers. There's also a high end sports bar called STATS. Chain wise there is a Mccormick and Schmick's(In CNN Center), the Ruth's Chris that was mentioned and a Ted's Montana Grill (the best of the chains in the area IMO).

Slight drive -

If you like Mexican this place is pretty unique - 5 minute in car

https://www.nomascantina.com/

Ponce City Market - huge food hall - 10 minute car ride

https://poncecitymarket.com/food-hall/

Atlantic Station - outdoor mall with lots of food options - 10 minute car ride

http://www.atlanticstation.com/dine

Cafe Intermezzo has the cray desserts if thats what you're after

http://www.cafeintermezzo.com/

Walking distance - There's a German themed bier garten near by(mentioned by Tess), if you like beer and German food and it has a great rooftop deck. And a BBQ place called Twin Smokers. There's also a high end sports bar called STATS. Chain wise there is a Mccormick and Schmick's(In CNN Center), the Ruth's Chris that was mentioned and a Ted's Montana Grill (the best of the chains in the area IMO).

Slight drive -

Ponce City Market - huge food hall - 10 minute car ride

https://poncecitymarket.com/food-hall/

We loved Ponce City Market--something for everyone and a lovely area to stroll around and walk to the park (Piedmont?). Lovely area and lots of food options!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter