Where to eat in San Fransisco?

pepperw23

Ouch, my brain hurts now
I posted this on the Community Board and did not get a reply. I am hoping you guys can help me out.

Can anyone suggest some good places to eat in and around San Fransisco? A friend of mine is going in July and she is a self proclaimed "foodie". :love: Any other suggestions for fun things to do with a toddler is also apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I wish I could remember the names of where I ate my last couple visits. I've found some good cafes on Haight St. Also down by the fisherman's warf there is a collection of street venders with Crab legs and Shrimp cocktail and other items.

Sorry I couldn't name specific resturaunts.

At the risk of seeming like I'm doing self-promotion, here's a thread that is sitting on the Other Lands section. I posted a number of things to do in San Francisco; some of which are good with kids; and in the wider Bay area. There are also about half a dozen eateries mentioned...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2451585

No trip to San Francisco is complete without a trip down to Fisherman's Wharf and eat at Alioto's if you like seafood. Otherwise there are other chain places to eat like Hooters and Hard Rock. There are a couple of other places to eat at Pier 39 that are really good with a great view of the Bay, I can't remember what it's called but it's on the top level. If you have time you may want to take the ferry over to Sausalito and eat lunch there, there are quite a few quaint places.

For something casual in the Ferry bldg there is hamburger/hot dog restaurant.It used to be call Taylor Automatic Refresher but I believe they changed the name last year.They started in Napa and are freature on Travel Network and Food Network shows.They have great garlic :thumbsup2ies

For a "foodie" that has a good-sized budget, there are some can't miss places - but make res 1 or 2 months in advance ( as soon as they open for them!):
Restaurant Gary Danko - near Ghiradelli - fabulous food. Small portions, but you'll be full.

If you have a car you have to do Alice Water's place in Berkeley - Chez Panisse. There is a more casual upstairs and a formal, one menu only (differs every night ) downstairs. World famous for good reason.

I 2nd the House of Prime Rib suggestion if you love Prime rib.
And for less-expensive, but consistently voted best Chinese in SF - House of Nanking at Columbus & Kearney.

I'll throw out a bunch of different places I've loved, different price ranges (splitting the links).

Yank Sing -- the best dim sum

http://www.yanksing. com/home.php

Slanted Door -- amazing Vietnamese in the Ferry Building. The Ferry Building is a great place for foodies and for a nice place for toddlers too -- fun to go outside and see the bay, the bridge, the boats.

http://slanteddoor. com/

Boulevard. Wonderful, French-inspired California food.
http://www.boulevardrestaurant. com/

Ti Couz. Awesome crepe place in the Mission

http://www.yelp. com/biz/ti-couz-san-francisco

Chow. Great, reasonably priced food in the Castro.

http://www.chowfoodbar. com/church_location.html

Greens. One of the best vegie restaurants in the country -- even if you aren't vegie, the view is SPECTACULAR.

http://www.greensrestaurant. com/

There are lots of fun places to take toddlers, but I often take visitors w/ toddlers to the Yerba Buena Park area. Everybody always loves it. There is a large grassy area, a few museums, a great park for kids, a bowling alley, carousel and ice skating rink. There are bunch of restaurants in and around the area. The cafe in the SF MOMA is pretty good and you can eat there w/out paying museum admission.

http://www.yerbabuena gardens.com/

Also, parts of Golden Gate Park are great for toddlers, esp. (IMO) the California Academy of Science, Stow Lake (paddle boats) and the Japanese Tea Gardens.

There are a zillion more restaurants. This is a foodie place for sure.

I posted this on the Community Board and did not get a reply. I am hoping you guys can help me out.

Can anyone suggest some good places to eat in and around San Fransisco? A friend of mine is going in July and she is a self proclaimed "foodie". :love: Any other suggestions for fun things to do with a toddler is also apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

No has mentioned the Stinking Rose, great Italian food. It has been quite a while since we ate there tho, we don't get to The City much, even tho DBF works quite close. :)

If you want some great Vietnamese food, try the Slanted Door in the Ferry Building. Right on the bay and the food is wonderful. It gets crowded, though, so make reservations. You can eat at the bar, too, I think.

Oh Wow! Thank you all for the awesome replies!!!! My friend is now happilly clicking on all of your links getting very exicted. :rotfl:

Yummy italian food and pizza YUMMMM the pizza! :lovestruc (by the slice avail too) can be found in the North Beach area of San Francisco (not too far from Pier 39/Fishermans wharf area)

My favorite restaurant in SF is Dragonfly. www.dragonfly420.com The treasure rolls and the crispy calimari are the best I've had!

The Ferry Building has some great casual eateries, including Petit Lulu, plus Hog Island Oyster Company makes the best grilled cheese (using Cowgirl Creamery cheeses). Miette makes excellent baked goods (my favorite is the old-fashioned cupcake) and there are a number of high-end chocolatiers there, too. If you go on the right day, you'll catch the Farmers' Market, too.

Bi-Rite and Humphrey Slocum make delicious ice-cream (my favorites are Bi-Rite's Mexican Peanut and Ricanelas).

Fog City News carries some interesting and high-end chocolate bars.

The best seafood in the City is at Tadich Grill on California. Ask if the sand dabs are fresh, and if they are get them. The petrale/rex soles are great also....heck, it's all good.The best pizza is Golden Boy Pizza on Green Street in North Beach. Pizza by the slice so you don't have to figure out what to do with leftovers.

I took my brother in law to Boulevard a month ago and it was AMAZING! Better than Gary Danko's and on par with Masas and the Dining Room at the Ritz Carleton. Michael Mina's is also amazing. Those would be my top 4 "food soo good it makes me cry tears of joy" destinations.

Thank you for starting this thread! I'm DESPERATE for restaurant/tour info. And thank you, PrincessinOz for the link to your informative thread :goodvibes

I will be taking my daugher to San Francisco in April, staying at the Hilton on Fishermans Wharf. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in the area that will be inexpensive? We are on a budget, as we will be going to Vegas also...

I will be taking my daugher to San Francisco in April, staying at the Hilton on Fishermans Wharf. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in the area that will be inexpensive? We are on a budget, as we will be going to Vegas also...

If you need really cheap you can find McD's or Burger King in the area. Skip the chains like Rain Forest Cafe or Joe's Crab Shack if they are inline with your prices.

I've eaten by the wharf a handful of time but not anything cheap, other than the vendors at the end of Taylor Street selling cups of shrimp and chunks of crab.

In SF the best places I've found that were cheap and good were suggested to me. When ever I asked the conceirge I was recommended somewhere fancy like the hotels they works in, so I asked the valets or doormen. They could tell me about where they went to for lunch or with friends. Sent me to some comfortable, tasty places.

Your staying in an area that is full of tourist places (Hard Rock, Rain Forest, Bubba Gumps, Pier 39). If you on a budget; I would venture out and steer clear of them. In your area there are a few fast food options (McDonalds, In/Out, Johnny Rockets), there is also Boudin for good soup/sandwiches, or seafood from the "stands" along fishermans wahrf.

Outside of that area; North Beach Pizza has the bomb pizza, China Town has some great options, Tommy's Joint is terrffic and was featured on Diner, Drive-ins and Dives. North Beach has a million great Italian places for a nice night out ranging from $-$$$. SF has great public transportation so I would just hop a trolley and explore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter