Where to eat in San Fransisco?

Your staying in an area that is full of tourist places (Hard Rock, Rain Forest, Bubba Gumps, Pier 39). If you on a budget; I would venture out and steer clear of them. In your area there are a few fast food options (McDonalds, In/Out, Johnny Rockets), there is also Boudin for good soup/sandwiches, or seafood from the "stands" along fishermans wahrf.

Outside of that area; North Beach Pizza has the bomb pizza, China Town has some great options, Tommy's Joint is terrffic and was featured on Diner, Drive-ins and Dives. North Beach has a million great Italian places for a nice night out ranging from $-$$$. SF has great public transportation so I would just hop a trolley and explore.

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions! Where is Tommy's Joint, and what is the best way to get to China Town?

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions! Where is Tommy's Joint, and what is the best way to get to China Town?
From the Wharf you can get to China Town by Walking, a cab, cable car or check out Muni.

Our favorite restaurant in China Town is the Washington Street Bakery and Restaurant - its on Washington St. :)

How far a walk is it from the Hilton to China Town? I think I would like to check it out!
I believe the walk is about a mile.
MapQuest does awesome walking maps BTW
I am not sure where the Hilton is (I didn't look it up specifically) but from Ghirardelli area to the center of China Town it is a little over a mile

A mile up hill in SF can be a long mile. :lmao: The cable car drops you off directly in front of China Town thou and is really inexpensive/fun to ride.

A mile up hill in SF can be a long mile. :lmao: The cable car drops you off directly in front of China Town thou and is really inexpensive/fun to ride.

Not by a long shot. A one way ride on a cable car is $6 one way. The number 30 Stockton bus runs right through North Beach and to Stockton right through China Town. The bus fare is, I think $2.00 and transfers are good for 90 minutes.

The best deal, depending on how long you will be in town, is a 3 day Passport which now goes for $21/person. The Passport allows unlimited rides on Cable Cars, F-line trolley, MUNI subway....not BART...and all MUNI buses. The F-line trolley loops through Fisherman's Wharf and downtown down Market Street to the Castro area and back. The trolleys themselves are quite historical, coming from a number of different countries and a number of U.S. cities.

So true - we hiked up and down Lombard last year - thought I was going to die ;)

However, Columbus from the Wharf area to China Town is only a very slight incline in a few places, it is not strenuous at all.

If you are coming to San Francisco don't forget to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum. The chili is good especially on a foggy day.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!

So true - we hiked up and down Lombard last year - thought I was going to die ;)

However, Columbus from the Wharf area to China Town is only a very slight incline in a few places, it is not strenuous at all.

Good to know! Thanks!! :goodvibes

For inexpensive, go the food court on the bottom floor of the Westfield at 5th and Market. Not your typical mall food court! Lots of really great restaurants there. Also, I doubt you want to take a toddler to Slanted Door - their "cheaper" restaurant called "Out the Door" is on that bottom floor food court. You can sit in, or take out. Cheaper, yummy! :) And more casual.

Some others in various parts of town...
Ton Kiang, Nopalito, B Star and Burma Superstar, Park Chalet out by the beach (nice if it's sunny!), Starbelly, A16, Gialina's, Delfina, ... if you end up near the park, Pacific Catch and Park Chow are good casual choices at 9th and Irving.

I'll try to think of some more!

Here are a few places to eat in the Bay area:

1. Commonwealth
2. Fifth Floor
3.Zero Zero

All are delicious! Yum Yum

At Fishermans Wharf we love http://www.scomas.com. Generally we don't care for the restaurants around this area because they're rather touristy, but Scomas isn't at all. Slightly off the foot path of most tourists I find it has better food and atmosphere than the others.

Another great place to dine, especially Sunday brunch is http://www.cliffhouse.com/home/index.html. A very old structure built in 1909 (two earlier versions were destroyed by fire). Next door is the Camera Obscura. A giant camera that you can go inside of. The image of the beach area is reflected onto a large circular dish inside.

No trip to San Francisco is complete without a trip down to Fisherman's Wharf and eat at Alioto's if you like seafood. Otherwise there are other chain places to eat like Hooters and Hard Rock. There are a couple of other places to eat at Pier 39 that are really good with a great view of the Bay, I can't remember what it's called but it's on the top level. If you have time you may want to take the ferry over to Sausalito and eat lunch there, there are quite a few quaint places.

I SECOND Alioti's. There's also the Slanted Door which get booked one month in advance. Make sure you review the restaurant on Yelp before you book on OpenTable or make a reservation.

Personally, I like Ti Cous (a French Crepe place near the Mission).

I will be taking my daugher to San Francisco in April, staying at the Hilton on Fishermans Wharf. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in the area that will be inexpensive? We are on a budget, as we will be going to Vegas also...

We stayed at the Hyatt nearby. We ate at the Buena Vista good pub grub food & the home of Irish Coffee:thumbsup2
Boudins at the Wharf was where we had breakfast and also grab a lunch. They have nice restaurant upstairs.Checkout the Ferry Building (take the F line)We ate at Gott's for lunch. There is outside seating.Good burger and hot dogs plus some chicken sandwhiches. Great garlic fries:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter