• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to eat lunch in Hollywood Studios with kids?

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
Our first day in the parks will be at Hollywood Studios. We are driving up early in the morning so should be getting in around 11am depending on how early we can get the kids up (two girls 9 and 13) It's my first trip with kids and so far we've decided on the fast passes we want and restaurants. But for this day we don't have anything booked for lunch. I'm worried we might end up getting there a lot later than planned and miss a reservation. But we do need to eat lunch somewhere. I feel like TS restaurants are easier with kids (although never been with one so could be wrong) Are there any places there that are easy to make a day of reservation? If not, which quick service would be a good option?

We are staying at Bay Lake Tower. Should we just eat at the quick service there before heading to the park?

If the concern is only for the kids, TS is sometimes easier with small kids, but your kids are older and should have no trouble winging it at a QS.

Now, we prefer TS for a nice break, especially in hot weather - but on your arrival day, I would eat QS (at your resort - HS QS is terrible) and head to the park.

Before you settle for QS try the lounge at Hollywood Brown Derby right next to the restaurant, you don’t need ADR and the food comes from the same kitchen as the Hollywood Brown Derby

With the uncertainty in your arrival time, I would not do an ADR for lunch, but for dinner instead and grab a quick bite at your resort for lunch when you check-in. Sci-Fi is my go-to at DHS and we go there every trip.

I'm with PP- have a snack and do an early Sci-Fi dinner. That's our family's must-do at DHS.

If the concern is only for the kids, TS is sometimes easier with small kids, but your kids are older and should have no trouble winging it at a QS.

Now, we prefer TS for a nice break, especially in hot weather - but on your arrival day, I would eat QS (at your resort - HS QS is terrible) and head to the park.
Since it's my first time with kids I feel like they are little lol. And I agree the quick service at Hollywood Studios that I've tried was not very good.

Before you settle for QS try the lounge at Hollywood Brown Derby right next to the restaurant, you don’t need ADR and the food comes from the same kitchen as the Hollywood Brown Derby
I've never eaten at a lounge before. How does it work, do they have actual tables you sit at and its first come first get a table kind of thing? I do like their menu so that might be a good option.

With the uncertainty in your arrival time, I would not do an ADR for lunch, but for dinner instead and grab a quick bite at your resort for lunch when you check-in. Sci-Fi is my go-to at DHS and we go there every trip.
I'm with PP- have a snack and do an early Sci-Fi dinner. That's our family's must-do at DHS.

The only way we'll be able to do Sci-Fi is a lunch. We have an ADR scheduled for Narcossees around 7pm. When we get there I'll check and see if any Sci-Fi reservations are available.

I would try to get a TS with a Fantasmic Pkg- Then you don't have to get seats early for Fantasmic if you are planning on seeing that night. so I think that is Brown Derby, Mama Melrose of Hollywood & Vine.

Kae

Although we prefer TS at DHS, when we don't want to plan ahead, we enjoy Backlot Express. My kids, who are 16 & 12, really like the chicken and waffles and I like the caprese sandwich.

I'd eat at the Contempo Café at the Contemporary before leaving for HS. Its a really good QS and you'll be right there after checking in to BLT.

If you don't know what time you are arriving, I wouldn't schedule an ADR, especially since you are arriving later and won't have a lot of park time. All of the DHS QS is equally mediocre, but if you are having a big, signature TS later at Narcoosee's maybe it doesn't matter. When you get to BLT, see how you feel. Contempo Cafe at CR has some good options. We've eaten at Backlot Express and it was fine. Pizzerizzo has servicable pizza and salad. You could also do the mobile ordering (if you aren't on the DDP) and make the entire ordering process a lot quicker. I would just arrive, see how you feel and go from there.

You are right. With smaller kids QS can be really tough, but not with a 9 and 13 year old!

Your kids might like the Sci-Fi its one of our go to choices. For counter service my girls like the Backlot. The chicken and waffles there are among their favorites,

If you have a 7:00 Narcosees already booked then I would just do backlot express when you can fit it in around your fastpass times. I don't think my daughter would have wanted to have a TS lunch as soon as she got into the park. The other option is just to grab something at your resort before you head to the park or even grabbing something before you check in (outside of Disney). I wouldn't make an ADR for lunch!!!

I agree with eating at Contempo Cafe. I schedule meals there the same way I do ADRs because I love it that much! Just thinking about it makes me hungry for the pot roast!

I would simply either pack a lunch or plan on counter service. Don't remember the name, but it seems like there is counter service in the area of Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Star Wars Star Tours (and the Star Wars kids experience) that has be burgers and chicken fingers the kids usually eat.

All lounges have limited menus obviously, most have like coffee tables and smaller furniture, first comes. Tiffin’s Lounge is very popular. Don’t forget to check menus on the internet

I would simply either pack a lunch or plan on counter service. Don't remember the name, but it seems like there is counter service in the area of Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Star Wars Star Tours (and the Star Wars kids experience) that has be burgers and chicken fingers the kids usually eat.

This is Backlot Express. We usually eat here a few times per trip and enjoy it, and it has refillable sodas.

Is it ok to take kids, specifically a toddler, to a lounge? I had the impression they were for adults with ambiance and stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter