• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to go in America?

South Carolina mountains near NC border
North Carolina mountains
North GA
TN
KY

My favorite form of recreation is eating! :)

Well then I would really concentrate on tourist and university towns.

And for me if I liked the cold I would want the snow. And you don't always get the two together in some areas. I am downtown in Toronto and although it can be cold we don't get a ton of snow.

Also, for me even though I like the cold, I would prefer the spring to come earlier and the winter cold much later. That is very important to me. You?

There are areas in the southern part of New England that have that specific perfection of lovely winters and the ability to greet spring at the perfect time of year.

I alluded to this earlier, but the cold in the south - including Virginia - is very different. It is damp and can seep into your bones and feel like it is never leaving (I don't know what part of Florida you are residing, so possibly you've already felt the damp cold). I really prefer the cold in the north.

Last edited:
Well then I would really concentrate on tourist and university towns.

And for me if I liked the cold I would want the snow. And you don't always get the two together in some areas. I am downtown in Toronto and although it can be cold we don't get a ton of snow.

Also, for me even though I like the cold, I would prefer the spring to come earlier and the winter cold much later. That is very important to me. You?

There are areas in the southern part of New England that have that specific perfection of lovely winters and the ability to greet spring at the perfect time of year.

I alluded to this earlier, but the cold in the south - including Virginia - is very different. It is damp and can seep into your bones and feel like it is never leaving (I don't know what part of Florida you are residing, so possibly you've already felt the damp cold). I really prefer the cold in the north.

I have to agree about the southern cold. I'm in Northern VA, and when I've visited northern Wisconsin (highly recommend!) and Maine (another winner), I don't feel as cold even if it's 20 degrees lower. That said, I'm not sure that university towns really qualify for better food. Some do, but smaller ones, maybe not so much!

I have to agree about the southern cold. I'm in Northern VA, and when I've visited northern Wisconsin (highly recommend!) and Maine (another winner), I don't feel as cold even if it's 20 degrees lower. That said, I'm not sure that university towns really qualify for better food. Some do, but smaller ones, maybe not so much!

DD19 born and raised NE Indiana and right now she is stationed at Ft Lee VA and she has been complaining about how cold she is and we are like it's not even winter yet. She has been telling us that it's so much different than back home.

Buffalo, New York! A major city but still with a small town type of feel, four seasons, relatively low cost of living, and ranked among the top in the country for unique architecture (Frank Lloyd Wright homes/buildings in the area and Frederick Law Olmsted designed park system).

That said, I'm not sure that university towns really qualify for better food. Some do, but smaller ones, maybe not so much!

You're absolutely right my university town was certainly not the bastion of fine dining. Laughing.

But I would absolutely want the town to have the ability to sustain a wide variety of dining choices, as mine did. Tourism and an influx of students make that possible. Especially a wide variety of ethnic choices in dining.

Plus OP, I would want a tourist area/university town for the better chance of having cultural options, festivals etc.

Last edited:
Louisville, CO Money Magazines #1 place to live in the US. Small town with lots of character, outstanding schools, beautiful views of the Rockies, lots of dining options but close to Boulder, Denver and the beautiful ski towns of Breck, Copper, Vail for more options, great weather.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right my university town was certainly not the bastion of fine dining. Laughing.

But I would absolutely want the town to have the ability to sustain a wide variety of dining choices, as mine did. Tourism and an influx of students make that possible. Especially a wide variety of ethnic choices in dining.

Plus OP, I would want a tourist area/university town for the better chance of having cultural options, festivals etc.

I was definitely thinking "tourist", not so much on university. One of the things I like about Lake of The Ozarks is the mix of people you get there. The area has a low cost of living, but is also home to many 7 figure weekend homes. So, dining options are terrific for such a small town and traffic's not bad either (well, it's crazy ON the water on Summer weekends LOL). Definitely not as touristy as say Branson or Wisconsin Dells though. So, maybe something like this - a lake town that's close enough to at least one big city for a heavy weekend influx of people so there's plenty of places to eat.

Co ..you still get the sun with the snow . Makes a huge difference , esp if you enjoyed the sun in FL. You are also a days drive to TONS of places and National Parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter