Where to go on baby's first trip?

dledger

Mouseketeer
I am in the very beginning stages of planning a rescheduled trip for next spring (probably beginning of march). We are rescheduling because we are expecting our first LO and the timing just didn't work. We use the regular dining plan and normally my DH and I prefer to eat at resorts but understand with a LO we may not want to deal with the cumbersome Disney transportation system more than we need to. We will not have a rental car, we use ME and are staying at POR. Our baby will be around 6/7 months at the time of the trip.

So. My question. We don't want to lose food quality and will still try and work in a trip to Sanaa (our first time) and Kona (a must do for my husband). But, where would you recommend dining with a baby that young? Obviously they won't be eating much in terms of solids, and any character meals would be more for us than them. Admittedly, we aren't HUGE fans of buffets but I think we'd be willing to try.

So far I've thought maybe garden grill (we did this on our honeymoon for dinner) or crystal palace around 10:45 so we could hit breakfast and lunch (I have been but it's been a LONG time). We are probably going to skip DHS (even though we were really looking forward to sci if on our postponed trip).

Have you taken a 7mo old? What worked? Any places to avoid? Would you recommend a certain meal (b,l, or dinner)? TIA

Personally, I wouldn't do a buffet with a baby. I found when DS was younger it was so hard to navigate and someone always had to sit at the table with the baby, while the other person was getting their food. It seemed we never actually ate together. If you want to do a character meal, I would pick one where they serve the food at the table (GG, Akershus, O'hana breakfast), but the food is not great at any of these. If you aren't interested in the characters, I would probably skip them altogether.

I would eat at whichever restaurant is most convenient to where you are staying or where you are touring. Pick a park restaurant if you are in the park (I would do breakfast or lunch. I always found dinner schedules to be unpredictable when DS was younger), go to DS if you are at POR.

The first time I took my second was at 4 months. Honestly how many TS you do and at what time will depend on the kid. She was pretty laid back most of the trip but had enough after a few days of having to be held constantly. It ended up being easiest for us to eat CS because we could keep her happy in the stroller vs having to be held in a TS restaurant.

The first time my first went, he was about 16 months old. He's my old cranky man and never enjoyed stopping to sit down for meals so we did lots of CS with him too.

The baby won't care where you eat, he'll only care that you feed him when he is hungry. No restaurant will mind you bringing in a baby (except V&A). In fact, I would bet your 6-7 month old will be less grouchy (and quieter) than my 6 year old was on our last trip. ;)

Counter service is good, as PP mentioned. I would make reservations for your highest priority restaurants only. Otherwise, I'd make a reservation a short time in advance based on what is available when you are ready to eat. You won't know at 180 days what your baby's schedule will be. Heck, with a baby that young, you won't know the week before you leave what his schedule will be like. We made many "reservations" an hour or two in advance on a recent trip and it worked out fine.

You can drive the stroller right onto the monorail, so if you want to eat at a resort restaurant, the monorail resorts would be easier (coming from MK). If Sanaa is a priority, definitely do it. But otherwise, I'd plan on eating in the park where you are touring or at your resort. As you said, you don't want to be lugging the stroller on & off of buses more than you have to.

As your baby grows, figure out a good cloth baby carrier that works for both of you. You'll be able to use that in restaurants, on rides, and on the bus. Some restaurants might let you keep the sleeping baby in a stroller, but many restaurants don't have the space, so you cannot rely on them letting you bring in the stroller.

Be sure to make all of your reservations for three people.

We took our 7 month old twins last year. We booked all places that we normally would. We were going with a large group and definitely had some back up in case one of the girls started a melt down, luckily that didn't happen. We did BOG dinner, CRT dinner, sci fi, chef mickeys. I'm sure there were more. We were prepared to leave if need be or walk the baby around the restaurant. They sat in high chairs for the first time that trip. Some places had more baby friendly ones (chef mickeys) but it all worked out. You'll know your child and what will work for them. And if all else fails, just take it to go :)

Good luck !

Just remember that when searching for ADRs you'll need to include the baby in the person count. A soul is a soul no matter how small. :D

Some restaurants might let you keep the sleeping baby in a stroller, but many restaurants don't have the space, so you cannot rely on them letting you bring in the stroller.

Be sure to make all of your reservations for three people.

I definitely agree with this. We were at that weird in between faze where the babies could sit in a high chair but would probably just sleep through the meal if they were in a stroller. We were lucky and all of our restaurants (with the exception of chef mickeys - Bc they had baby high chairs) accommodated. It helped that our strollers folded up in half and were super small if we did switch the kids between the two. But I was prepared to park the stroller if they requested.

I would eat where you want -- seeing that this is your first little one you will learn a lot about that little one before your trip. You will have to be booking your TS right around the time they are born, which may make things difficult because you will have no clue what kind of schedule they will be on -- my twins were pretty clock work and took a morning and afternoon nap and would sleep for a couple hours each time, my youngest DD didn't like to sleep at all and would only take short 20-30 minute naps. So what i am saying is that it doesn't really matter what you plan now or even 6 months before your trip because you really have no clue what type of baby you will have.

My suggestion would be to book a few different reservations of where you want to go and then as you get closer to your trip you can select what will work for your babies schedule-- usually at 6 months they will need a couple of naps a day and then to bed by 7pm -- so that will restrict your dining times. The best advice for a baby is to keep them fed and well rested and they will generally be well behaved. Deter from this and you will have a child having a melt down.

You might want to forgo the dining plan so that you do not feel as though you have to do use all these TS meal credits if your little one won't handle it. The dining plan really doesn't save you money it is more of a convenience thing.

I am in the very beginning stages of planning a rescheduled trip for next spring (probably beginning of march). We are rescheduling because we are expecting our first LO and the timing just didn't work. We use the regular dining plan and normally my DH and I prefer to eat at resorts but understand with a LO we may not want to deal with the cumbersome Disney transportation system more than we need to. We will not have a rental car, we use ME and are staying at POR. Our baby will be around 6/7 months at the time of the trip.

So. My question. We don't want to lose food quality and will still try and work in a trip to Sanaa (our first time) and Kona (a must do for my husband). But, where would you recommend dining with a baby that young? Obviously they won't be eating much in terms of solids, and any character meals would be more for us than them. Admittedly, we aren't HUGE fans of buffets but I think we'd be willing to try.

So far I've thought maybe garden grill (we did this on our honeymoon for dinner) or crystal palace around 10:45 so we could hit breakfast and lunch (I have been but it's been a LONG time). We are probably going to skip DHS (even though we were really looking forward to sci if on our postponed trip).

Have you taken a 7mo old? What worked? Any places to avoid? Would you recommend a certain meal (b,l, or dinner)? TIA
We took our 1 y.o. a few times a year; she's almost 9 y.o. now.

What worked: eating in shifts and bringing a big bag with a sense of humor.

That means one parent gets to eat hot food while the other holds a crying baby outside the dining room. Lather, rinse, repeat.

No worries, it gets worse as the little ones grow.

As my dad says, "The bigger the kid, the bigger the problem."

I took my son for the first time when he was 6 months old. He was never much of a stroller kid so we carried him in a baby carrier and it made eating pretty easy because either he was asleep on me or dad OR he was alert and checking everything out comfy in his carrier on me or dad and our hands were free.

We just went where we wanted to, he obviously didn't remember that trip. I wouldn't book a character meal, your little one might be terrified and it could be an expensive mistake. I'd do some free meet and greets this time and then when your baby is old enough to care subject yourself to overpriced mediocre food.

I took my son at 6 months and went to the lounge at Sanaa, Tutto Gusto (was great before but I wouldn't go there now with an baby), 'Ohana dinner, and Garden Grill dinner. I feel like I'm missing one but it was 6 years ago. Ordered room service once or twice, ate by the resort pool in the afternoon, etc.. It was a great trip, it's nice and easy before they have opinions, lol.

Honestly, I don't think it matters where you go with a kid that age. It's really more about making sure they've been to a restaurant before then, after 3 months or so we would go out for lunch almost every other week. If they're not eating table food yet, make sure they are fed BEFORE you go eat or bring food to feed them while you're waiting for your food.

Always have an exit plan if things do go south. Be prepared to turn any meal into a take out meal.

When they were little my two kids always seemed to want to nurse when we were at a restaurant, just a few minutes before our food came. I tended to order dishes that were easy to eat one handed vs those that needed a knife and fork. I might consider restaurants that don't have tables right on top of each other because sometimes you need more elbow room for the diaper bag or if the little one wants to be held. As they got older we would chose restaurants that had a bit more ambient noise, so if they got vocal it blended in.

All of the above - traveling with DD2 was easier when she was a baby, actually. She was happier to be in a high chair when she was 6-7 months than when she got older. We also always took a cloth carrier and would pop her in there if she started fussing. DH and I would alternate meals, but if she fussed, we'd put her in the carrier and stand up and bounce for a while until she fell asleep. Then we'd sit down again and go back to eating. Using a baby carrier will also enable you to do the buffets easily, too.

Also if you are nursing, that also always calms them down.

But at that age, they can explore a little table food on their own while you are eating. We've taken our kids everywhere at Disney except for V&A, which they will enjoy with us someday (little foodies). I wouldn't bother with character meals at that age - they are too young to notice, or they'll be terrified; neither is worth the cost. LOL.

For dinners, we *still* book our ADRs around 5pm and our girls are 6 and 2. Reservations are a little easier to get, and there's always another family in the dining room to inspire you (or to inspire solidarity). We found, when DD2 was a baby, that if she fell asleep in the carrier, we could get a few more rides or attractions in without having to rush back to the room.

For dinners, we *still* book our ADRs around 5pm and our girls are 6 and 2. Reservations are a little easier to get, and there's always another family in the dining room to inspire you (or to inspire solidarity). We found, when DD2 was a baby, that if she fell asleep in the carrier, we could get a few more rides or attractions in without having to rush back to the room.

Thank you all for your advice. @kboo the above, we usually book around 5pm anyways so I was happy to read your advice. We are *planning* to use a carrier so I understand that makes travel/dining/overall experiences a little easier. However I also understand that what I plan (baby wearing, dining, anything in between) and what actually happen are two very different things. We realize we might not be able to sit and have a leisurely meal as we previously knew it, and are prepared for having to switch off eating/comforting.

We recently did Garden Grill and Crystal Palace with our 6 month old granddaughter. We were surprised and delighted at her reaction to the characters! That could go the other way too... But we had a wonderful time!

We went with our 9 month old last year. He has always been a bit more... ummm... "spirited" than his older brother was so we didn't plan too many TS in advance and instead kind of went with the flow of the day and looked to see what was available when we were ready to eat. I worked well for us and although the selection is of course limited, we tried some new places which was fun.
We actually found that buffets were easier for us because there wasn't much wait between sitting and eating. Biergarten, Boma and Trail's End worked out well for us. We had a lot of fun that trip!

My last trip was with my two adult nephews and their babies, my four great nieces who were all under the age of 3. So precious. :cloud9:

The youngest was 6 months old, and she was a happy as a clam everywhere we went. When she wasn’t napping in her stroller during meals, we took turns holding her.

We actually found that buffets were easier for us because there wasn't much wait between sitting and eating. Biergarten, Boma and Trail's End worked out well for us. We had a lot of fun that trip!

That's kind of what I was thinking in terms of buffets because we could kind of move at our own pace. If we needed a break we could spend some time indoors, or if it's not going well to just quickly eat and move on.

I think 6 months is a good age as they tend to be a little more predictable with their schedule and sleeping better yet they aren't crawling and moving around yet. I would book a few ADRS of places that you and you husband really want to go and are hard to get ADRs and leave the rest open ended. You just have no way of knowing at this point what your baby will be like, what his/her schedule will be at that time and what you as a Mom are going to feel like doing.

At 6 months they should be able to sit in a high chair at a restaurant and you could plan the meal around their normal eating times and do the jar foods and even some soft table foods. But, depending on the child and their mood that day, they might not be content for as long as you would like which results in a stressful time for you if they get fussy yet you are still waiting for food to come. So you'll just need to temper expectations and make a plan B always.

We did a trip with when our youngest was 1 and we ended up at a lot of buffets. The thing about buffets is you pace the meal. So if you need to make it quick, grab your food and go, you can. You aren't waiting to be served which makes it a little easier.

As it gets closer and you have a better idea or even when you are there and baby is happy and you decide a sit down meal would be good, use the Disney app and book it then. I would suggest for the most part staying away from dinner times and playing that time by ear. Evenings always tended to be the hectic/fussy time with my 3 kids when they were babies. You can get baby settled and asleep in the stroller and you and your husband could do quick serve and hit some shops, watch fireworks while baby sleeps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter