Where to relax?

Hoorayforcookies!

Earning My Ears
I am having trouble deciding on a resort.

My DH, DD (3) and I will be going in January 2018 (21-27). DH is indulging me and DD on this trip (I love DW and she does too - has been 2x for brief visits to MK before a cruise). DH is not a huge fan of crowds or busy theme parks, so I am trying to pick a relaxing resort for him to enjoy. My hope is, if I plan this right, he will like vacationing at DW :)

I have been back and forth between a Poly Villa-Studio and WL 1 bedroom (probably BR vs CC). Poly wins on price and location. We really love going to Hawaii so the theme is great. I could do a studio there (which I read is one of the larger studio rooms you can get) and be quite comfortable. I also like the pull down bed for DD, and pictures look like it still leaves lots of space to walk between the two beds, even when the pull down is in use. My concern with Poly is that it could be too crowded/noisy or just not as relaxing/remote as WL because it is on the monorail and receives so many visitors. In January, the pool may be hit or miss, but we'd like to have a resort day to enjoy it if the weather cooperates. I hear it can get crowded and I am trying to escape the crowds of the theme parks on our resort day.

So that led me to thinking of a 1 bdr at the WL. I think compared to the Poly, the studio may feel too cramped? I have read that it is a very relaxing resort to escape to at the end of the day. We would lose some of the convenient transportation though. I have visited Poly so I know what that resort looks like. I have never visited the WL.

DH and I have stayed at CR (tower) and AKL (standard view) in the past. He commented that both were nice and he really liked the restaurants at AKL (we ate at the buffet for both dinner and breakfast). We were there only one night each.

Things that are important to have overall:
Relaxing vibe, escape the crowds
Location/Convenient to parks (MK will be most frequently visited)
Fridge - for those adult beverages after DD is asleep :)
King bed would be nice, but not a deal breaker

I think it is going to be about $1000 difference if we go with WL vs Poly. That's a lot to me. Doable, but still gives me pause if we could be just as happy at Poly. I am hoping that we could get a discount on the room from Disney too. I have rented DVC from David's before and think it is a great deal, but unfortunately, I waited too long to book this trip and our options are not available through them.

We stayed at Poly twice in a regular (non DVC) room. Those rooms are pretty spacious with 2 queens. But only top floor (3rd) has balcony and first floor patio. 2nd floors have no balcony. In the DVD side I know both Tokelau and Tahiti (may have name change) have balconies on all floors.
The lobby is busy because of the resorts restaurants but the grounds aren't.

GF is another great resort to consider. Large rooms, beautiful grounds, relaxing, and on monorail.

At WL we found the regular rooms with 2 queens to be enough room for 3. But a 1 bdrm would be nice as well. We loved the courtyard view. With a boat to MK, and another boat loop that goes from WL to CR and Ft W are nice options.

We stayed WL with our two year old a few years ago in January and LOVED it! We were in a "woods view" room back then and watched the boat come up to the dock. The regular room was a little small, but for 3 it was fine (though i know you are thinking of the 1 bedroom).

DH sounds just like yours and he NEEDS quiet and a place to relax. He and I would take turns staying in the room during nap time and the other would go find some quiet or shop (me). I would go read a book outside, in the room off of the DVC building lobby, or up above the front door by a fireplace. Other times, I would grab lunch and sit on a rocking chair in the main lobby and just relax, though that is not the most quiet place.

What I loved most about WL is taking the boat to MK. I thought it was such a wonderful, peaceful way to start and end your day. We stayed in a room at the end of one of the wings, so we just walked up and down the stairs and were quite close to the dock. There weren't ever long lines except to go to the MK in the morning, but one boat would almost eliminate that line. If we just missed a boat and another for the Contemporary showed up, we hopped on that (made sure it went to CR first and not FW) and walked to MK.

So, all in all, I thought it was a great place to find a place for some peace and quiet. I am really looking forward to trying the new waterfront bar next time!

For convenience to MK, I would go with Poly. You can hop the monorail, or walk over to TTC to grab the boat. If you want to go to EPCOT, you just walk over to TTC and hop on the monorail. I also enjoyed being able to watch the fireworks from the beach at the Poly.

The down-side to Poly is that it's restaurants and bars can get a little busy in the evenings. But if you are going to be enjoying your adult beverages in your room, then that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Have a great trip!

Poly DVC studios are the largest of all the DVC studios. Very spacious and comfortable. The three DVC buildings are on the side of the resort closest to the TTC and are very quiet. The Oasis pool, which is the DVC pool, is also quiet, usually not terribly busy and has a full bar and a quick service.

I find it very relaxing. You will have your balcony (or patio if you're on the first floor), and each building has a comfortable lobby area on each floor with couches and chairs. These are almost never used, so that's another quiet space option.

Bonus for staying at the Poly: you can order 'Ohana's dinner from room service (and you probably don't want to get a meal for each person as they bring a ton of food). That way you can enjoy dinner on your balcony without dealing with the crowds and noise of 'Ohana.

Reality is, once you get away from the bustle of the main lobby, Poly is really very restful.

Steve

I think WL is a more chill resort than Poly. I think that's mostly to do with the setup of the poly...the pool is kind of central and can't really be avoided when coming to the GCH from another building. Additionally, Captain Cook's is always chaos. Always.

So, my vote would be WL. Roaring Fork is actually our go to "get me somewhere quiet and out of MK" place and was just refurbed. The boat launch is very peaceful.

For relaxation, definitely WL! It is an amazing resort with some great restaurant options. That said, with a 3-year-old I may be more inclined to go with Poly. I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time at MK and it's so convenient to hop on the monorail at Poly, especially with a young child. Would be super easy to head to the room for a nap in the afternoons if needed.

We have stayed at the beloved WL many times over the past several years and always loved it. We stayed when our youngest was 2 1/2 u til he was 18. it was always wonderful. The boat to MK (our fav park) was magical and relaxing. The buses were never a problem. Roaring Forks was adequate, and then we found CL! The OLD CL! Where offerings were abundant, CMs and the CL manager became family after the first day! We ALWAYS had the perfect vacation. DH especially fell in love the moment we walked into the majestic lobby and never wanted to stay anywhere else.

This past spring, DH and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. We too honeymooned in Hawaii but did not want to return at this time. We love WDW but could not even to bear to walk into WL within the kids, so DH suggested the Poly. Never stepped foot into the Poly. Well, we heard it's supposed to be nice... I guess being even closer to MK and on the monorail would be cool... Okay, we decided to try. We went May 13-19, just, the two of us.

Let. Me. Tell. You. H-E-A-V-E-N it was. Totally different vibe. Relaxing, quiet, tranquil. We only wanted to tour MK and EPCOT so the transportation was perfect. We had a 3rd floor room in Samoa facing the Oasis pool. The Oasis pool was so relaxing and quiet. We loved renting a cabana ($42/half day) and loved the food service/drinks they offer to bring to you! Young children (5 and under) were enjoying the Oasis pool with the parents and seem oblivious they were missing the feature pool! ;) The lobby WAS crowded in the morning, and evening as people were waiting for their table at OHANA but other than that, it was pretty quiet. We took early morning and evening walks around the resort and it was always quiet. The music and the setting, the layout of the resort forces you to slow down. DH said, "Well, I can't believe I'm saying this... I think the poly wins. I've never felt so relaxed at WDW." There were little girls everywhere dressed in Moana outfits. So cute. (They sell the outfits at the Poly.)

If WL 1bed is $1000 more than the Poly, I would not hesitate to choose the Poly. The standard rooms at the Poly are HUGE. The studios are the same size, huge! The 1bed at WL CCV is 2 of the WL hotel rooms (the smallest of all deluxe rooms) and I would be hard pressed to think they are or would feel much larger than standard/studio at the Poly. The WL BRV 1bed is larger and I hear they are beautiful but I'm not informed enough to comment on those rooms, but I do believe you will have only a pull out couch for your little one (that has always deterred us from staying at a DVC.)

We LOVED WL, but DH and I love the Poly more. Early mornings and late evenings were relaxing at WL because that is when it was quiet. There are more quiet spots at the Poly, more room to roam for your little one.

I think your DH can relax at either place. Good luck on your choice!! :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I think we will go with the Poly due to the location and lower price. Sounds like we will still be able to find quiet spaces to relax there around the quiet pool and other parts of the grounds. I appreciate everyone's feedback!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter