Where to shop for Men's suits?

jerseygirl81

DIS Veteran
We have 2 family weddings in August and October, DH and DS24 both need suits. It's been many years since DH bought a suit so we are not sure where to shop for a good suit at a good price. We see commercials for the Mens warehouse and we were thinking about going there, Is that a good place? We don't have a lot of shopping around time to do comparison shopping but since they are only wearing suits for basically weddings and funerals it should last for years. We live in NJ.

Thanks, Linda

Last edited:
We have shopped at Men's Warehouse and my husband didn't love his suits from there buy they were typically inexpensive. Our most recent suit purchase was from Macy's and we got a great deal on it. Tommy Hilfiger suit for like $175 on sale from about $400. Macy's ALWAYS has sales. That's our go to now when he needs another but this one has held up well for over 2 years.

Second vote for Macy's. My husband needed a suit so we went to Macy's Wednesday night. The original price for just the jacket was $295 and we paid ~$87.

Since you are in NJ, I would recommend the Barneys New York warehouse sale. Get there Friday or Saturday morning on the final weekend. They have them twice a year usually in late summer and late winter. I've purchased hugo boss, hickey freeman, burberry suits there. Usually $2-3k suits for $200-$250. You have to dig, but you can get a great deal. Ditto for ties, shoes, dress shirts, etc...

Speaking of Macy's, I just got two emails: one from Macy's for 20% off and one from Ebates that's 20% back for another hour through the link provided (I guess you have to use Ebates currently for it to even work). If it doesn't fit you could always get it tailored or exchange but that's a great deal!

Macys is my go to spot for a suit. I compare ads with JCP and Kohls.
I personally stay away from the specialty stores since I wear a suit maybe twice a year at most.

Dh is a big and tall guy and found a great deal on a suit last spring. It was a Michael Strayhand (sp).

We used to shop Men's Warehouse but since they merged with Jos a Bank (or bought out or something) it seems like the prices went up but they do a lot more BOGO free sales. So if you needed 2 suits anyway, they'd wind up at a reasonable price (and what we used to buy them for anyway :) ) But the other place my husband would by suits was Burlington Coat Factory. They've got many name brands and the one in Franklin Mills mall used to have a tailor onsite, not sure if any still do. We just stopped in today but for the life of me can't think of what the prices were. Husband is a big and tall guy and their selection has gotten sparse in that department since we shopped last. So we looked for fit and didn't really pay attention to the prices, but nothing jumped out at me as outrageous. They had a good selection if you were 42 or under :)

The one good thing I'll say about Mens Warehouse is they still do free tailoring. My husband took a suit in last year to have the pants taken in and the buttons on the coat adjusted, they looked at the tag and since it was one of their brands they did it for free under their lifetime adjustments policy. We thought that was very nice and got a little bright spot considering it needed to be a adjusted for a funeral.

My husband likes his Banana Republic suits which are a more modern cut and are pretty affordable.

Jos A Banks has some suits on sale for amazing prices right now. I know they are on sale online, but I am not sure about in-store.

Nordstrom Rack is my go-to for nice suits. You might spend $400-$600 on a suit, but it will be a very nice suit.

Go to JCP the Stafford suits are actually Ralph Lauren suits (not the top line true designer ones) but the Macy's Ralph Lauren. they can be easily had for under 200 sometimes a little over 100 with a great sale

I used to work in luxury fashion. A lot of designer suits are modern or slim fits. They use a lightweight wool often to make them more comfy but the result is it was common for suits to rip at the elbows, knees, and seat when they got a good amount of wear. I would go with a department store brand for less because even if you get it at say Barneys on clearance you may pay more when it wears out in a year and needs to be replaced. My brother always used Macys and we get some of my husbands suits there. He also likes Banana Republic but they can be way overpriced.

I don't know where you are in NJ, but DH and now my sons get their suits at The Clothing Center on Rt. 18 in New Brunswick. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but they have a wide array of suits and sizes. When DH used to be a 38S, and he would have a choice of 4 suits in most stores (grey, blue, black...) Someone recommended this place, and he had a choice of about 18 different styles. He recently purchased 3 more suits (it was just time), and the salesman eyeballed him at a 40S or 42S. DH said no, he was a 38S. Well, the salesman was right. The cuts are different and DH needed to go up a size. Their tailoring is also very good and reasonable.

Best of luck!

Go to JC Penny's. I bought a Stafford 3 piece suit back in March from JCP during a sale and spent a little over $170.

We ended up getting nice suits at Macys on sale and was able to sign up for a coupon on their website which saved us another $100. Thanks for all help!!

I know you've already bought what you need, and I would have also suggested Macy's, but the last time we needed suits, we went to Century 21. I don't know if they have locations near you (we are in NY), but they had a big selection of good quality suits, ties & dress shirts for very reasonable prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter