• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to stay - Boulder Ridge, Saratoga Springs, or Old Key West?

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
Had a 1-bedroom booked at the grand floridian and had to reschedule because we caught covid (yes I have the worst luck :sad:).

Looking at the positive side (after third postponed vacation) that at least there is still availability so we can actually go (in August), and also we get to try the Halloween party for the first time ever. Trying to decide on a room/resort though is the next step. The options available for our stay (that fit the points we have to use) are:

-1 bedroom Boulder Ridge
-1 bedroom preferred or 2-bedroom standard view at Saratoga Springs
-1 bedroom or 2 bedroom at Old Key West

I already booked Boulder Ridge to make sure we had something but should be easy to modify. We really don't need the space in a 2 bedroom, I'm more concerned about the resort that is better for kids, and mostly focusing on the pool (best part for us =) and transportation to the parks.

Which would you go for based on what I've said? Thanks in advance!!!

I'd stick with BRV. At least, its easy to get to MK without needing a bus. I prefer not to do buses when I can avoid them!

Boulder Ridge. Great pools, boat (and very fast bus) to MK, boat to Contemporary and Ft. Wilderness, decent bus to other places--sometimes shared with either Ft. Wilderness or Contemporary.

The Lodge decor/theme is super fun and the setting on Bay Lake is lovely.

I'd stick with BRV. At least, its easy to get to MK without needing a bus. I prefer not to do buses when I can avoid them!
Thanks! Those were my thoughts too. We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and Beach Club before and absolutely loved the boats, so assuming we would feel the same way here :)

Boulder Ridge. Great pools, boat (and very fast bus) to MK, boat to Contemporary and Ft. Wilderness, decent bus to other places--sometimes shared with either Ft. Wilderness or Contemporary.

Thanks so much! Making me feel better about changing our reservation, lol.

We love a great theme (AKL is one of our favorite resorts) and I've always wanted to try Wilderness Lodge so comments like this are helping me quickly get over the disappointment of postponing our trip this week and looking forward to August :) Feeling lucky I was able to get a reservation at all at this point.

Last edited:

Has boat service returned between Wilderness and Contemporary? It's been a few months, but last time we had checked there still was no boat service at Contemporary. Would be welcome news for our Thanksgiving trip if it is back.

Has boat service returned between Wilderness and Contemporary?
There wasn't when we were there in November.

We asked a skipper who said it was out of service indefinitely. Sounded like "forever" to me from his tone and expression. Too bad.

You never know! I feel like a lot of the Grand reservations have been booked recently with the new building opening so there's been more changes so maybe you'll have some luck. Completely unscientific just what I've seen when stalking for a future reservation.

Personally I may do a 2 bedroom standard at Saratoga. They currently have some of the nicest rooms on property while Boulder Ridge’s rooms are in need of a refresh. I know you don’t need the two bedroom, but if can be fun to have a little extra space, and SSR’s two bedroom is still fairly economical. Plus SSR has many pools, and I think some good ones - my kids really liked both High Rock and the Paddock pool. Also, boat to Disney Springs is fun! The downside is buses only, but I’ve had fairly good luck with them (although, I hear that’s not everyone’s experience), and the resort is centrally located, so not too far from any park.

That being said you can’t go wrong with Boulder Ridge either. The theming is really great as is the boat/proximity to MK. I would just rather wait until next year after the refurb.

Enjoy!! I’ve been wanting to do the Halloween party as well!

My kids love both pools but we were most recently at Saratoga and I can attest to the awesomeness of the two bedrooms. The unit was beautifully renovated and having so much space was for sure better then quick MK access for our family. Although, our kids are older and don’t mind buses.

SSR. We had a 1BR there (newly renovated) a couple of months ago and it might be the nicest I've stayed in on property. Boulder Ridge is waaayyyy overdue for a refurb. SSR is also very centrally located which is really convenient especially if you have a car (not so much so if you don't).

OKW is one of our home resorts and the rooms are very spacious. The main pool is very nice. I agree that BRV is in need of a renovation (supposedly planned to happen in the near future), but the resort itself is gorgeous and lots of fun. We enjoy SSR as well. I don’t think you can make a bad decision with any of them.

I'd also waitlist CCV or another backup choice and maybe some magic will come your way.
This advice was so useful! I really had my heart set on staying on the monorail (young kids and a packed trip). After you mentioned this I took a risk and booked a few 2-3 night separate stays as well as some waitlists (at this point didn't really have anything to lose since my points are in holding anyway) in the most available room at the Grand Floridian and can't believe my good luck that the waitlist came through. Thanks so much! I'm pretty sure it was due to the new building opening (like you mentioned) because there aren't many free nights now. I did have to go from 1 bedroom to a studio but I'm happy with that.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Definitely planning a Wilderness Lodge stay now as well but thinking Christmas will be a nice time if I can switch at 7 months out since I've heard so much about the decorations there that time of year. Also hoping to try out Saratoga Springs now on a shorter trip next year since I haven't tried many restaurants in Disney Springs and the water areas look lovely for kids.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. They are greatly appreciated =)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter