Where to stay in San Francisco? Neighborhood? Family friendly

Fall1

DIS Veteran
Can anyone share where is a good neighborhood location to stay in San Francisco for 2 nights that is family friendly. I keep reading different opinions and they totally contradict one another, so I'm confused lol.
Thanks for any input!!

Stay near the things you want to do in the city. You will hear good and bad things about almost every district. I'd person stay away from Union Square, Tenderloin districts. Basically, stay North of Sutter Street.

Fisherman's Wharf area is a good spot overall.

About 5 years ago we stayed at an AirBnB in Inner Sunset about 2 blocks from Golden Gate Park. We stayed not too far from the J Line and took it downtown when we went to ride the cable cars and do a bunch of stuff downtown. We spent a day at Golden Gate Park and then half a day around the Presidio so the location was ideal for us. Uber rides to downtown weren't that difficult.

If you're planning mostly to do stuff downtown, I would just stay there.

In general the residential neighborhoods in west side of the city are going to be "safer" but they will be further away from the main tourist attractions. If you want to be closer to the tourist traps, I'd recommend staying as close to the Embarcadero as possible. Stay away from Tenderloin, SoMa, Mission, Bayview, Hunter Point especially if you are not used to urban environments.

Right now it's open season on tourists for property crime in SF, so be careful and vigilant as long as you are here.

Depends on whether or not you have a car and your budget. I think the motor lodges around Lombard Street would be pretty reasonable for a family. It’s close to the Golden Gate Bridge. The neighborhood itself isn’t touristy.

If you don’t have a car, then access to public transportation and those hop on hop off tourist buses would be an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter