Where to stay the night before?

Tawnyafitz

Earning My Ears
Our last cruise we drove in and stayed in Cocoa Beach. This time I am flying in with a friend. It seems like it might be cheaper and easier to stay a night at WDW then catch the bus to the cruise ship. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Our last cruise we drove in and stayed in Cocoa Beach. This time I am flying in with a friend. It seems like it might be cheaper and easier to stay a night at WDW then catch the bus to the cruise ship. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
Certainly that's an option. Just be aware that DCL transfers from WDW resorts typically don't pick up until later in the morning, arriving at the port usually after 12:30. Or you can stay at the MCO Hyatt and catch the DCL transfer bus at the airport. DCL transfers from the airport start at 9:00.

Or, if you are looking to save money, you can stay at another airport hotel. The Hyatt is expensive compared to other airport hotels in the area. Then, you could either do the DCL buses, hire a private car, or rent a car.

I'm wondering this too, we are planning to fly in the night before. Trying to figure out what's better, hotel at airport then shuttle to port. Or stay at a hotel near the port (but if we do that, what are the reasonably priced options for taking us to that hotel) and take a shuttle the next day to the port.

I've done both and I prefer to stay at WDW instead of Cocoa Beach since I am DVC getting a room a few days before the cruise is easy as long as I plan ahead. The only downside is that you don't get to the port as early as if you stayed in Cocoa Beach if you use Disney transportation to the port.

Stay at the Hyatt in the airport. So convenient -- everything is done for you inside and they pick you up the next morning at whatever time you sign up for in the appointed meeting place. We loved the convenience of staying there. If you have AAA, you can get a good discount.

Last time we flew in the night before and hired a private car. They allowed us one stop along the way so we went to the grocery store for liquor, water and some food/snacks. The price was almost the same as paying for the $70pp transfer. We stayed at the Marriott(I think), on the port and they ran a big shuttle to the ship the next morning.

The last time, we've stayed at Port Orleans Riverside (WDW). It was very efficient and the transportation from the hotel to PC was very nice. There was no wait when we checked-in for the cruise. Loved the experience and will definitely repeat it for our next cruise.

There are lots of new hotels on Semoran Blvd (436) right by the airport. Also they have just opened a new shopping plaza that has a Ross, 5 Below Ulta and a really nice movie theater (Epic).
All are about 2 miles from the airport entrance. It's not possible to walk from the airport but it would be an easy Taxi or Uber ride.

The airport is just beyond the bottom of this picture on the other side of the 528 (Beachline)

image.png

Last edited:
My wife and I stayed at the Radisson at Port Canaveral last year and it was a great experience. Very reasonable rate that also allowed us to leave our car parked at the hotel and gave us transportation to the ship. Will be doing this again this summer.

After trying other options, any future cruises will involve a stay at the Hyatt. So much simpler than anything else.

Another Hyatt fan here, just did this on March 12th before our Magic cruise 3/13- so easy, comfy and nice. We decided we would def stay under similar circumstances again, it was great!

We will be staying at the Hyatt MCO the day before our cruise and the debarkation day. We have a late flight out that day. This will be our first DCL cruise and first stay at the Hyatt.

We absolutely stay at WDW the night before every cruise we take out of Port Canaveral. It gets us in the mood, we have a blast visiting Downtown Disney/Disney Springs, we usually take a monorail ride and visit a resort. We get up, have a light breakfast (getting ready for a big lunch on the ship). The resort doesn't matter, sometimes value and sometimes Animal Kingdom Lodge...depends on the rates at that time of year.

Then, a pleasant, easy, and quiet one hour drive to the port. We play Disney Cruise Line trivia along the way, and the highlight of the drive is coming over that last hill and seeing the ship up ahead. Once we used Disney transportation, what a great ride!

I know some like to stay in hotels near the port for various reasons, or near the airport, but I think our vacation truly starts a day earlier because of our approach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter