Where to Stay

tink9702

DIS Veteran
So for our last trip in November we stayed off site in a house with a pool. extended family members were staying with us and we all wanted to be in the same place and it saved a TON of money to split the house.

We will be returning to Disney in 2017, but it will most likely just be our direct family - myself, DH, DS and DD so family of 4. Therefore the cost of the vehicle and whole cost of the house pretty much match staying at AoA so that's not as much of a consideration. I just can't decide whether we should stay on property????

Off Site:
arriving & departing at anytime we want in our car
having a lot more room to spread out
not sharing the pool/hot tub
Easy to go shopping and bring our own snacks/food into parks

Onsite:
Immersion in the Disney Magic
fun pools with slides (thinking POFQ or AoA)
More likely to try new restaurants

I think the thing that's most holding me back from staying onsite is the bus transportation. We are Rope Drop people and I'm wondering how hard (how early) we'd need to be on the move to make Rope Drop if we are taking Disney Transportation?

We aren't likely to use EMH or use the Disney Dining Plan so that doesn't really influence the decision. I'm pretty set on staying either at AoA Little Mermaid room or Port Orleans French Quarter if I can find availability for either. I HATE the All Star resorts and have no desire to experience Pop. I can't afford the deluxe resorts! LOL

Any other benefits I'm forgetting about to staying onsite? What would you do?

So for our last trip in November we stayed off site in a house with a pool. extended family members were staying with us and we all wanted to be in the same place and it saved a TON of money to split the house.

We will be returning to Disney in 2017, but it will most likely just be our direct family - myself, DH, DS and DD so family of 4. Therefore the cost of the vehicle and whole cost of the house pretty much match staying at AoA so that's not as much of a consideration. I just can't decide whether we should stay on property????

Off Site:
arriving & departing at anytime we want in our car
having a lot more room to spread out
not sharing the pool/hot tub
Easy to go shopping and bring our own snacks/food into parks

Onsite:
Immersion in the Disney Magic
fun pools with slides (thinking POFQ or AoA)
More likely to try new restaurants

I think the thing that's most holding me back from staying onsite is the bus transportation. We are Rope Drop people and I'm wondering how hard (how early) we'd need to be on the move to make Rope Drop if we are taking Disney Transportation?

We aren't likely to use EMH or use the Disney Dining Plan so that doesn't really influence the decision. I'm pretty set on staying either at AoA Little Mermaid room or Port Orleans French Quarter if I can find availability for either. I HATE the All Star resorts and have no desire to experience Pop. I can't afford the deluxe resorts! LOL

Any other benefits I'm forgetting about to staying onsite? What would you do?

You can still drive to the parks when staying onsite. Plus you get free parking.

For rope drop, well, I don't normally do rope drop. But when we have an 8 am dining reservation, I get everyone up at 6:30 and aim to be at a bus station between 7 and 7:30.

Personally, we stayed offsite once for a quick weekend trip. Never again. It was definitely cheaper but I hated the hassle of driving into the parks, parking, trams.
We liked Pop okay. Are not fond of the All Stars. Never stayed at AoA but would. I am not a fan of the look of Port Orleans (either one) so I would not choose them. I like the look of Caribbean Beach. We love Coronado Springs and it is our go to moderate resort.

Another on site bonus: you can send your packages back to your resort instead of carrying them with you all day! I have to say that this is one of my favorite parts of staying on site.

I love staying onsite. You can also rent DVC points, if you want a deluxe for a little less. I've stayed at POR and AKL-Kidani Village and Caribe Royal and will never go back to POR or Caribe Royal. We will rent or, eventually buy, DVC points from now on. (We really liked having a kitchenette at Kidani.) We only use Disney transportation and manage rope drop just fine, and we have a double stroller. We do not do the dining plan, we figured out it was not worth it for our family.

I second renting DVC points - all the perks of a deluxe for way less money, and the only downside is that there is no daily Mousekeeping. This doesn't bother us at all so we are renting at Jambo House in AKL next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter