Where to stop along I75

maiapapaya

Totally DIS-tracted!
We will be driving to WDW via the I75 route, leaving from Sarnia. Our kids are older teens and great travellers, so we're hoping to get a bigger chunk of the driving done on the first day. We're thinking of stopping around Atlanta? This is our first time driving, so any advice on where would/would not be a good place to stop would be appreciated, as well as any other tips! TIA

Depending on what time of day you get to Atlanta, it might be easier to stop north of the city and then get up early to go through downtown Atlanta. I live a little bit north of Atlanta and it takes me around 7 hours to get to Disney.

I agree with stopping north of Atlanta but be careful what time you leave to go through Atlanta. If it's a week day rush hour is a bear. Sunday morning is the best time to get through.

I agree with stopping north of Atlanta but be careful what time you leave to go through Atlanta. If it's a week day rush hour is a bear. Sunday morning is the best time to get through.
Unfortunately it will be a Monday morning. Do you know how early will help us avoid the worst of the traffic?

Unfortunately it will be a Monday morning. Do you know how early will help us avoid the worst of the traffic?
I would say on the road by six am. Alternatively since your first day driving would be on a Sunday, you could push through the city on Sunday and stop south of downtown. Hampton by Atlanta Motor Speedway would be a good place to stop. Should have plenty of Hotels in that area.

I would say on the road by six am. Alternatively since your first day driving would be on a Sunday, you could push through the city on Sunday and stop south of downtown. Hampton by Atlanta Motor Speedway would be a good place to stop. Should have plenty of Hotels in that area.
Ya, that's what I was wondering, if we would be better off just getting through Atlanta. Thanks.

We once stopped in Locust Grove, south of Atlanta after a friend who lives in Atlanta highly recommended The French Market & Tavern restaurant. We stayed at the Country Inn.

I was wondering... do you pre-book your hotel reservation for the stop? If yes, do you worry that you get too tired to reach your planned stop? If not, do you worry that no room will be available when you get into the town late, around 9-10pm?

We once stopped in Locust Grove, south of Atlanta after a friend who lives in Atlanta highly recommended The French Market & Tavern restaurant. We stayed at the Country Inn.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
I was wondering... do you pre-book your hotel reservation for the stop? If yes, do you worry that you get too tired to reach your planned stop? If not, do you worry that no room will be available when you get into the town late, around 9-10pm?
Our plan is to just estimate where we're going to end up while we're on the road and then book something before we arrive (we're going to figure out some options ahead of time). We're going on the assumption that most places won't be fully booked on a Sunday night in late August. I'm not sure what others typically do, but that's our plan at this point.

Having had to navigate Atlanta traffic more times I care to remember, I would second (or third) the advice about trying to get past the city before stopping for the night. Partly because of those issues, whenever we drive we take the "other" route, through Buffalo, which uses 95 to get into Florida. Faster and more scenic - from Toronto. But from Sarnia that's way out of the way.

We've had dozens of road trips all over the States and based on that I think you're right in not having to worry too much about getting a highway-side room on a Sunday night. And because of so many variables, most importantly simply seeing how long I feel like driving, we almost have never reserved a room in advance. What we still do (as recently as last August) is when we hit the State in which we think we'll stop, we grab copies of those red and green hotel coupon books that against all odds are still widely available in many travel plazas, welcome centres and truck stops. Not for the coupons per se, but to see the list of properties that are down the road, and what they offer, where they're located, etc.

It's kind of a family game. I drive, my wife - or daughter, who's now 15 - will read off the descriptions of upcoming hotels, and their features (free continental breakfast is a must). Once we settle on the city/area we target for our stop, my wife calls our pick(s) just to ensure they have a vacancy.

We've never not found a room this way, although it can be a bit of a gamble on holiday weekends, or if there events nearby (we learned the hard way to avoid places where a NASCAR race is happening - more than once). But it's a fun tradition.

In any event - have a blast! I'm jealous - we absolutely love love road trips. Our newest tradition is we draw names from a hat (although there's only the three of us) and then when we stop at one of those giant Pilot/Flying Js/Love truck complexes for gas or snacks we each secretly buy the most outrageous/garish/hilarious t shirt for whoever we picked, and they have to wear that on our first day driving back. Kinda takes the sting out of that day on the way home.

But we're flying this time - also last week of August (such a great time to go). But now I wish we were driving ...

Atlanta has already had their NASCAR races so you are good on that front. Totally recommend visiting the Bucees in Fort Valley GA just south of Macon. It’s like Disney World of gas stations. The restrooms are superb.

Atlanta has already had their NASCAR races so you are good on that front. Totally recommend visiting the Bucees in Fort Valley GA just south of Macon. It’s like Disney World of gas stations. The restrooms are superb.
Good to know - thanks!
we draw names from a hat (although there's only the three of us) and then when we stop at one of those giant Pilot/Flying Js/Love truck complexes for gas or snacks we each secretly buy the most outrageous/garish/hilarious t shirt for whoever we picked, and they have to wear that on our first day driving back. Kinda takes the sting out of that day on the way home.
Love this idea! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter