Which accommodations would you choose?

SFMommy

DIS Veteran
Five travelers…me (52), DD (18), my mom (77), my niece (9) and my nephew (7). Three nights in mid-July.

My DD and I are great planners, frequent visitors and very knowledgable about DLR. My brother and SIL won’t ever bring their kids to DLR, which my DD thinks is so sad. So she wants to take them there this summer. We are bringing my mom because she knows my niece and nephew very well and we think it would be very special for her to be at DLR for the first time in 40 years with all three of her grandkids. My mom is NOT a planner and wants my DD and I to make all of the decisions, since we are frequent visitors and pretty knowledgable about traveling there.

My mom can walk, but not to the level that Disney requires. So we will be getting her a scooter rental, regardless of where we stay.

Some options…

Desert Inn & Suites Parlor Suite C2 - 5 beds, 2 bathrooms - $1,350
Candy Cane Inn - 2 premium rooms (4 beds, 2 bathrooms) - $2,314
Pixar Place Hotel - 2 rooms (4 beds, 2 daybeds, 2 bathrooms) - $3,770

I’m mostly basing this decision on what will be best for my mom, since I don’t think the kids will care. I’m torn between the Disney-bubble feel of the PPH for my mom because I know she’ll love DTD, the hotels, the shopping, restaurants, etc. And the proximity of staying somewhere like the Desert Inn & Suites. My mom will join us in the park sometimes, but she’ll take her time, spend some time resting in the room, etc. I know that she’ll like the feel and area of the PPH more than Harbor, but I worry that the distance from the PPH to Disneyland is a lot. Or does it not matter since she’ll have the scooter? And I guess she could take the monorail into Disneyland and use the new DCA entrance across the street from the PPH entrance?

I appreciate any opinions and thoughts!

I'd go with Pixar Place. DTD is just so much nicer than Harbor, so if she'll be traveling to/from the parks on her own sometimes I think it would be more enjoyable for her. Also if she doesn't want to go into the parks she could shop in DTD but then easily get back to the room.

You're right about the distance, but since she'll have a scooter it will be fine, especially if you spend any time in DCA. She can also take the Monorail.

Someone recently posted pictures of the new PP hotel and it looks very nice!

I think all your choices are great ones!

I brought my mom last year, she’s around the same age and walks fine, but definitely needed the scooter at Disneyland! We stayed at the Disneyland hotel which was so convenient. She got lost riding her scooter on her first night and was stuck behind the fireworks lines. After that she decided she would be out of the parks everyday before it got dark. She loved going to downtown Disney where she people watched and picked up dinner at Tangarosa Terrace, Blacktap and Naples Pizza. If you think your Mom will spend a lot of time in the room and out of the parks, I would definitely spring for Pixar Place.

My choice would be:
1st-Pixar Place
2nd-Candy Cane
(very distant) 3rd-DI&S...The only thing nice about it is the proximity, and I've seen a lot of people with scooters/strollers have a really hard time navigating the narrow corridors and small elevators.

I would go with Pixar if it's in the budget. It would be worlds above off site in your situation, as others have already mentioned.

ETA it's also very possible there will be a cheaper rate for your dates. July is one of the slower times at DLR. FYI July 17th is DL's birthday 😊

I am somewhat in the same situation as you. It will be me, my adult niece and my mom. I have rented a scooter for mom because there is no way she can do the walking.

We will be at DL from April 6th to 11th and are staying at Paradise Pier (soon to be Pixar Place) as i felt it was the best option to be closest to the parks. My mom will always be with my niece and I but she is nervous about the scooter (it will be her first time on one and she doesn't drive). Given this, I wanted to be as close as i could to the disney parks without breaking the bank.

So i vote for Paradise Pier for you and your family as well!

I'm cheap, so DI&S is my vote, especially with a $2k+ savings.... that's a lot of dough. When I am trying to decide on a place, I consider what I could do with that savings. That $2k would be:

6+ meals at a nice sit down restaurant
1 extra day in the parks with some left over $
20+ Spirit Jerseys (only kind of joking about this)
57 Minnie headbands
10+ Guided tours for your whole group, like the current Main Street tour thing (totally blanking on the name)
4 World of Color dessert parties for your whole family

Second choice would be CCI with their shuttle. Again, I'm considering savings. CCI is much nicer than DI&S, obviously. Our family doesn't mind sharing beds, so that wouldn't factor in for us. Looking at what you could do with that $2k savings at DI&S, you'd still be saving $1k at CCI vs PPH, so you can half the numbers of things/experiences above, and still have a lot of extras-- 2 dessert parties for he group, 25 minnie ears, 10 Spirit Jerseys, haha.

I stay at the Majestic Gardens, and using the shuttle still keeps me feeling like I'm in the bubble, because I never even see Harbor other than on the shuttle.

My choice would be:
1st-Pixar Place
2nd-Candy Cane
(very distant) 3rd-DI&S...The only thing nice about it is the proximity, and I've seen a lot of people with scooters/strollers have a really hard time navigating the narrow corridors and small elevators.
Because of tight space of corridors and elevator, I began parking my scooter in the lobby overnight. It has never been an issue and there are outlets for charging overnight.

One recommendation for PPH, especially with a scooter. The down elevators fill up easily & it can be hard to catch one with enough room left in it. In that case, hit the button to go up instead. You'll find riding the extra floors up & then back down will be quicker than waiting for an empty down car.

Are you sure that the Candy Cane's shuttle can accommodate a scooter? Last I knew it couldn't.
I totally didn't even think about if it could or couldn't. I totally assumed it would be ADA compliant. And if it isn't, shame on them.

I totally didn't even think about if it could or couldn't. I totally assumed it would be ADA compliant. And if it isn't, shame on them.
How do even larger buses (not little shuttles) get one of those electric scooters onboard? They're a lot heavier than wheelchairs, and they don't fold up.

How do even larger buses (not little shuttles) get one of those electric scooters onboard? They're a lot heavier than wheelchairs, and they don't fold up.
I stay at Majestic Gardens mostly, and they have a lift on their busses and vans for the ECVs.

I’m definitely leaning towards the PPH. But how likely are we to actually get connecting rooms? It will be a major bummer if we aren’t all together.

I’m definitely leaning towards the PPH. But how likely are we to actually get connecting rooms? It will be a major bummer if we aren’t all together.
I think they try to accommodate requests, but won't guarantee it. Have you considered one of their suites? They have 1 and 2 bedroom suites.

I think they try to accommodate requests, but won't guarantee it. Have you considered one of their suites? They have 1 and 2 bedroom suites.
Yes, a 2 bedroom suite is $1000 more total. And a 1 bedroom suite would be tight with 2 queens and 1 queen sofa bed. Still considering those as well though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter