Which age is preferable?

Chrislovesdisney

DIS Veteran
I know DCL has tons of options for all ages. We went last year with a 4.5 and 1.5 yo, both girls.

For cruise #2, do we go at ages 3.5 and 6.5 (positive, I’m thinking they will still be into the same stuff at the younger kids club together and the older one will still be into some of the princess magic, negative is that the little one won’t remember much)

Or wait til 4.5 and 7.5. Younger one will get more out of it, but will older one be “too old” to be in the younger part of the kids club for them to be doing things together, and will she still be head over heels for the princesses or past that phase?

My 8yo is super excited for everyone on our cruise that leaves tomorrow - princesses included and she’s never been a very princess-y girl. My middle dd is 5.5 and also super excited as is my 3yo (though he doesn’t really get it)... so I don’t think 7.5 is at all too late!

What is this older and younger part of the kids club you speak of? Did they once upon a time have the oceaneers club separate from the oceaneers lab?

Now it’s all ages 3-12.

Go when it's good for you. Your kids will barely remember any of it as adults but you will.
I barely remember our WDW trip when I was 7.5, over Christmas break 1973. All I recall now is that we had a late night flight through a thunderstorm which made my mom cry and get motion sickness on the plane. It didn't help that we kept asking her what will happen to us if the plane gets struck by lightning. My older sister wore her pajamas on the plane and I thought that was silly. I also remember riding being able to stay up until after midnight and as I rode Dumbo I thought, "Wow, it's actually tomorrow right now but somehow it still feels like today." One last memory was a ride that is no longer there which was something like 2000 Leagues Under the Sea, not sure of the exact title. It was a submarine ride and I don't recall seeing much in the water but it turned 1974 while we were underwater and everyone was counting down to midnight and the whole thing shook with everyone clapping & cheering which made me afraid it would spring a leak.

So, this is the kind of stuff little kids remember. Sheesh, I hardly remember my trip to Italy when I was 23 simply because it's been over 27 years now. It all gets hazy after a while. :scratchin

Go when it's good for you. Your kids will barely remember any of it as adults but you will.
One last memory was a ride that is no longer there which was something like 2000 Leagues Under the Sea, not sure of the exact title. It was a submarine ride and I don't recall seeing much in the water but it turned 1974 while we were underwater and everyone was counting down to midnight and the whole thing shook with everyone clapping & cheering which made me afraid it would spring a leak.
It was 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. I miss that ride.

IMO, if you're counting on the kids spending time in kids club (so you guys can enjoy yourself too), I'd wait another year. There's a big difference between in 3.5 and 4.5. But, if you're planning on more family time and not using the club much, then go when it's best for you.

IMO, if you're counting on the kids spending time in kids club (so you guys can enjoy yourself too), I'd wait another year. There's a big difference between in 3.5 and 4.5. But, if you're planning on more family time and not using the club much, then go when it's best for you.

I agree with this. I'd wait till 4 and 7. Mine will be 4, 9 and 12 on our next cruise and they are ALL excited. I don't think 7.5 is too old at all and the 4.5 year old will get to hang out in the big kids club!

My daughter was still into Princesses in March on our last trip at 10 years old.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. They wouldn’t been in the club a lot, just here and there. And yes, I know the areas of the kids club are “linked” but I was referring more to them wanting to be in the same area based on age-preference themes they have going on. I don’t know if they’d want to separate, but then I don’t know if my older one would find the activities too young at one end and my little one find the activities too old at thr other end if they stuck together!

In my opinion - a bit older if you are thinking about the club/lab activities & also depending on the ship - aqua duck.
When we went with a 3 YO in our party,he was not tall enough to ride it even with an adult which made him extremely upset.
Under 7 my kid was really into the kids clubs. At 9... yes - but I noticed a bit less. I think he will probably find it super again when he can go to the tween club. The kids clubs on Disney may say 3-11 but (in my opinion) they are best for 4 or 5 to 7 or 8.
You may think the girls will be in the clubs here and there and they may never want to leave ;)

A childhood is shorter than you think. My daughter is 18 and those early years went so fast, too fast. Open a new tab right away and make those reservations as fast as you can.

Soon to be empty nester.

PS why are you still reading this? Make that reservation!

What is this older and younger part of the kids club you speak of? Did they once upon a time have the oceaneers club separate from the oceaneers lab?

Now it’s all ages 3-12.
Yes, at one time Oceaneer's Club (ages 3-7) was separate from Oceaneer's Lab (ages 8-12). But, bowing to the inevitable "But I want my kids to be together in the club" group, DCL put them together. So now it's Oceaneer's Club/Lab for ages 3-12. There are (sort of) separate areas within the larger area set up for the younger set (3-7) and the older set (8-12), but any child in Oceaneer's can participate in whatever activities appeal to them (regardless of age).

My dd wasn't as crazy about the princesses when she was 7 yrs like she was at 4 yrs old. However she still wanted to go to the princess gathering at 8yrs and wanted me to get tickets for our next cruise now that she's 9 yrs old. She also still likes the Oceaneer's club, especially when they have Pluto's pj party.

Last edited:
My dd wasn't as crazy about the princesses when she was 7 yrs like she was at 4 yrs old. However she still wanted to go to the princess gathering at 8yrs and wanted me to get tickets for our next cruise now that she's 9 yrs old. She also still likes the Oceaneer's club, especially when they have Pluto's pj party.

My 11 (will be 12 yr) is excited about this again, LOL.

Yes, at one time Oceaneer's Club (ages 3-7) was separate from Oceaneer's Lab (ages 8-12). But, bowing to the inevitable "But I want my kids to be together in the club" group, DCL put them together. So now it's Oceaneer's Club/Lab for ages 3-12. There are (sort of) separate areas within the larger area set up for the younger set (3-7) and the older set (8-12), but any child in Oceaneer's can participate in whatever activities appeal to them (regardless of age).
Hey, we did sloppy science in the lab on our WBTA and we are in our 70s. It was an open house, but we had a lot of fun...and, at my age, I still remember it.

I would suggest taking lots of pictures and making a memory book. I made a book on Shutterfly using one of the free 20 page book coupons. We read the book every now and then. My daughter still recalls things she did in the club 2 years later, she's 6 now and was 3.5 on the cruise.

I say travel whenever you're comfortable to. We're going on another cruise this year and our kids will be 1, 4 and 6.

Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter