• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Airport?

BowlingAriel

Wishin Upon That Lottery Star
Trying to plan summer trip in July.

Which airport is the closest to DL? Here in FL there's one choice - Orlando Airport. When I was checking flights there are like a dozen!!

Thanks

Here are the best choices (keep in mind, these are my preferences, others may vary):

John Wayne Airport (SNA) - Santa Ana, CA - Closest, but probably most expensive - 20 min drive without traffic - less if using carpool lane

Long Beach Airport (LGB) - Long Beach, CA - Small airport, not a lot of flight choices - 30-35 min drive depending on traffic

Ontario Airport (ONT) - Ontario, CA - Large airport, but still easy to get in and out of - 45 min drive depending on traffic

Burbank Airport (BUR) - Burbank, CA - Medium aiport - 60-70 min drive depending on traffic

Los Angeles (LAX) - Los Angeles - largest and probably cheapest, but also can be a pain to get in and out of - 75-90 min drive depending on traffic

Hope it helps...depending on my budget, this is the list I follow when making airline reservations.

These are my order of preference:

John Wayne Airport (SNA) - Santa Ana, CA - Closest, but probably most expensive - 20 min drive without traffic - less if using carpool lane

Long Beach Airport (LGB) - Long Beach, CA - Small airport, not a lot of flight choices - 30-35 min drive depending on traffic

Los Angeles (LAX) - Los Angeles - largest and probably cheapest, but also can be a pain to get in and out of - 45-90 min drive depending on traffic
(I've driven this many times, and it can take 40 minutes with light traffic)

If LAX is considerably less $, then I would recommend that, even with the traffic, over the other airports.

Ontario Airport (ONT) - Ontario, CA - Large airport, but still easy to get in and out of - 45 min drive depending on traffic

Burbank Airport (BUR) - Burbank, CA - Medium aiport - 60-70 min drive depending on traffic

I am still playing with all the different combinations for our flight from NYC area to DL for August. I want to incorporate the price of transportation from an airport to DL with the price of airfare to make my final decision. It will only be two of us. I would guess a towncar is better then a taxi. What are the average prices of a towncar from the different airports (or a website I can read through) as well as any adivce on a reliable company? Thanks!

-Matt

Thanks, price is not the first choice although it is an important one.

I prefer to fly non-stop. So that is where I look first. Since everyone seems to be having airfare wars again, I figured we'd get tickets now.

Suggest renting a car or hiring car service. I feel so vulnerable not knowing ANYTHING about DL and Cali.

Here in FL the theme parks are all together for Disney and even Universal and Sea World have transportation shuttles to most hotels.

Which transportation option to pick depends on the airport.
Your typical choices are :
rent a car

take a taxi (about $30 from SNA, too much $$ from LAX)

Airport Bus (big motor coach with a set schedule for pick up) www.airportbus.com
LAX
Adults One Way : $16.00 Children(3-10) One Way : $9.00
Adults Round Trip : $25.00 Children(3-10) Round Trip : $16.00
Children under 3 are Free

SNA
Adults One Way : $11.00 Children(3-10), One Way : $8.00
Adults Round Trip : $18.00 Children(3-10), Round Trip : $13.00
Children under 3 are Free

Super Shuttle ( or similar) (shared van service/can be exclusive for additional fee) www.supershuttle.com

SNA
Shared Ride Van Service (Up to 7 Passengers) $10.00 each
Exclusive Van Service (Private van up to 7 passengers) $47.00
Exclusive Van Service (Private van up to 9 passengers) $67.00
ExecuCar Sedan Service Meet and Greet (Up to 4 Passengers) $66.00

LGB
Shared Ride Van Service (Up to 7 Passengers) $33.00 1st passenger then $9.00 each
Exclusive Van Service (Private van up to 7 passengers) $69.00
Exclusive Van Service (Private van up to 9 passengers) $89.00
ExecuCar Sedan Service Meet and Greet (Up to 4 Passengers) $66.00

LAX
Shared Ride Van Service (Up to 7 Passengers) $15.00 each
Exclusive Van Service (Private van up to 7 passengers) $92.00
Exclusive Van Service (Private van up to 9 passengers) $112.00
ExecuCar Sedan Service Meet and Greet (Up to 4 Passengers) $98.00

We usually go with Super Shuttle as it is easy to call and set up - or just walk out to curb at airport and ask someone in a blue coat to help you.

This next trip we will rent a car. Flying into SNA (same price as LAX this time ! :earseek: And DH will need some mode of transport to get to dialysis from our hotel for two days of the trip - decided it would be easier for him to drive himself just as he does at home.

how far is it to drive from san diego to disneyland and how far a drive from john wayne airport to san diego thanks
maria

OK, so SNA appears to be the cheapest. Since Direct flights are not an option.

And of course the one airport I'd rather avoid - ATLANTA - is the only connection option. Figures huh!

Thanks for all the shuttle info. We've use supershuttle before, in NYC and Vegas. They are pretty affordable and easy to get.

Maria395712~
SD is really big and spread out, so it truly depends on where you're going in SD. Driving between John Wayne and San Diego can take 1.5 to 2.5 hours, depending on traffic and where you're going in SD. It is a simple drive, though - south on I-405 which turns into I-5 in El Toro. Lots of the drive is along the coast, so it's pretty in some areas. You'll also go right thru Camp Pendleton Marine Base, so you could see troops doing training maneuvers (nothing quite as startling as driving merrily along, coming over a rise and suddenly seeing a dozen tanks rumbling along right next to you with helicopters overhead . . .)

Driving from Disneyland to San Diego, add another 1/2 hour or so (stay on I-5 the whole time - super simple). Again - it all depends on traffic.

Just remember - there's no such thing as Rush "Hour" in So Cal. It's much longer than that. :sad2: Weekdays, 'Rush Hour' is typically from 5-9am and 3-7pm - extend those times on holiday weekends. And don't be shocked at traffic any day at any time. Road repairs can really honk it up, too.

Hope this helps! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter