Which All Star Resort For An Adult Solo Traveler ?

PennConn

Mouseketeer
Which All Star Resort should I stay at when I return to WDW for my fifth solo trip in early February 2004 ? I have already stayed at Music twice and was very happy there. It seems to me that both Sports and Movies are geared more for kids. Should I stay at Music again, or maybe try Pop Century (if and when it ever opens!)

to draw from. Personally I liked music the best. Disney will surely allow you to transfer over your ressies IF they have opened POP by then

:)

Hi....I made 5 solo trips now and have stayed 4 times at the music and once at the sports. I found myself to have more fun at the music. The staff of course is all the same, but the adults just seemed more fun.

My vote would be music, but if pop century is open I would diffently give that a try.

Have Fun...... :)

I haven't stayed at Music, so I can't comment on that Resort, but my vote goes to Movies ot Pop Century.

Deb

I've stayed at all 3 All-Stars solo and I also believe that from now on my choice will be Music. It's not as popular as Movies (easier to book) and I like the decor better than Sports. I'd definitely try Pop Century if it's open, just because it's new.

Thanks Everyone

I guess when I make my reservations this fall I will pick Pop Century if its open, or stick with Music (However, I REFUSE to pay the extra $10 for the "Preferred Building" which I believe is Calypso, is that right ?)

is the one closest to the Food Court which some how makes it the "preferred" bldgs.

I've also stayed at the Music many times. It's the only one of the All Star's I've used. I like the fact it's in the middle of the bus loop.

Roberta

I, too, would choose Music, unless Pop Century opened. Sports and Movies do seem to be more popular with the kids and crowds.

We were in Jazz last year (one in from the preffered building) and found it to be very close to the main building - no need to spend the extra $.

Ah, but the "preferred" building price is worth it if you are stuck in one of the buildings furthest from the front!
Trust me... I know. Before this trip I would have said the same- no way I'd pay $10 more a night just to have a building a little closer! But after 9 days of trucking my butt that far (and thus also not using my refillable mug that much and instead buying $1.00 12oz cans of soda from the nearby machine) - when I made my "bounce back" reservations.. I opted for the preferred building!
It can really make a difference- unless you enjoy walking such a long distance to the buses, food court, etc. back and forth. It was such a pain to carry around my refillable mug all day at the parks also- otherwise having to walk such a long distance to take the mug back to the room.

Jazz probably would have been okay. But they can't guarantee you that and I learned that the hard way! :(

I would also choose Music and did so for our next fall trip. I might change it to Sports though. Not sure. If my husband and/or husband and kids are coming on the next one- I will probably switch to Sports. Just because the "males" in my family would probably prefer it and the busing situation is such that Sports is picked up first and dropped off first. It didn't seem all that "busy" with bus-goers either. Movies? no way... I will probably never do Movies... ESPECIALLY if it's a couples get away or solo trip. Lots of lots of children and the lines always huge -well, almost always. And it's the last place to pick up/drop off- so they usually had to stand or sometimes even wait for another bus!

Another vote for Music here. There on 8 solo trips and will be staying there next visit. This past December got a AP rate and CRO had a very easy time talking me into the extra $10 per night for preferred.

Hi all,

One more question on this subject.
You write that it is a far walk when your room is at the back of the All star Music resort. My question is how are we talking about. Can you walk it in say five minutes, or do you need 15 minutes?

If it is a five minute walk or a little bit more then it will be OK with me, but if you have to walk over 10 minutes then it is indeed a long way.

So I would ask the people who have stayed at this resort to tell how long it really takes from the room to the busstop and in what building you room was.

I will be staying at All Star Music from 29 april till 12 may.

Thank you much.

Marcel.

LOL
I think that is all in relation to how fast you walk- especially before or after being at the parks walking all day.
I'm a fast walker- so it's definitely not a 15min walk for the most part. But it sure FELT like a 15min walk whenever it was afternoon or late evening after walking at the parks all day! I only wish I had a pedometer so I could see exactly how much I actually walked each day there. LOL

My room was in Boardwalk, far end 3rd floor. If not for being close to the elevator it would have been unbearable for me. Especially once the blisters on my feet started. LOL

That last day I was there- I counted "steps" from the back of the building (so it was actually further to get INSIDE the food court or all the way through the building and to the bus stops) all the way to my door. Account for how many "feet" my actual steps are and adjusting it into miles- it turns out it was just over a quarter of a mile from the back of the building to my room.

So it doesn't sound like much.... just felt like it at the time I guess.

I stayed at AsMusic in November and got lucky... I got the Calypso (preferred) building as a free upgrade! It was definitely nice to not have to walk so far! I would most certainly stay at the Music again, it was a great place as a single traveler.

I also brought a pedometer with me just for fun.... I ended up walking at least 5-6 miles a day!!! More exercise than I'd had in a while!

I stayed at the Movies and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend staying here or trying Pop Century. Stayed in the Toy Story area at the Movies and found it very close to the main building, foodcourt, bus stop and parking lot. The food at the foodcourt was very good and it's a quick walk to the Fantasia pool. If you can swing a little more, I would strongly recommend Port Orleans French Quarter. I LOVE this resort!!! The pool is great and it is very compact compared to other resorts. Even if you are at the farthest building, it is still less than a 5 minute walk to the main building, foodcourt and bus stop.

I too would consider POFQ as it is nice and compact. I am considering staying there on my next solo venture. However, if one is only looking at the All-Star resorts, I recommend Sports. I like the layout there better than Music or Movies because the walk to the main building from any of the buildings is not very long. I stayed in Touchdown which is not the preferred building and was at the food court as quickly as if I had been in Surf's Up. And the other buildings aren't that much further. I also did enjoy all of the activity, but as a teacher I have a very high tolerance level for children. :D

That is really good information, mathgeek. I've never stayed at any of the All Stars and have wondered which one would be the best choice for me. Now I know to choose Sports, even though I'm not a sports fan, simply because it may be a little more convenient.

Katholyn

I have stayed at All Star Sports and All Star Music. I prefer Sports for a couple of reasons. As mathgeek pointed out, ASSp is less spread out than ASMu. I stayed in the last Hoops building and in Surf's Up on the same trip. It was maybe a 5 minute longer walk to the Hoops location than Surf's Up. I also like that the bus picks up and drops off at ASSp first. That means that you get a direct trip to the parks in the morning when they're running a bus per resort and you get dropped off first when you return home. That's an advantage if you're stuck standing. Also, if you go to the parks mid-day you will get a seat while the bus may fill up by ASMu or ASMv. Lastly, I like the Sports theme better than the Music theme.

More great info for me. Thanks for the info about the bus drop off/pick up, Robin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter