Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hilton Head

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Amelia Island

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
We need a vacation this summer and are thinking of going to a beach instead of Disney. Narrowed it down to 3 drivable places, haven't been to any. DH, myself, 2 teenage DDs. Looking for nice area, things to do, good resorts, and most importantly, the ability to go out to eat IN a restaurant. I'm not sure of the state rules but we're from IL and it has to be better than here. Any thoughts on which to do? Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Amelia Island.

I am not being political but like you I want good vacations, make sure you are going to a state with a Republican Gov, they seem more likely to have everything opened (which is good or stupid) but thats your best bet for an open vacation

I've never been to Amelia Island, but between the two Carolina beach towns, I personally prefer Hilton Head because it is a little quieter and more natural. But if you're looking for lots to do, Myrtle Beach is more a typical tourist beach town with a boardwalk, arcades and shops, etc. so that might be a better fit for a busy vacation with lots of the activities we've all be doing without. I'm not sure about where you are, but the outdoors are pretty much the only thing we've still been able to enjoy recreationally here in Michigan so I'm not in a big hurry to travel just for the same outdoor activities we do near home.

Normally this would be where I plug my home state of Michigan. We do have some beautiful beaches, especially on the Lake Michigan side of the state, and lovely waterfront towns with lots to do. But while most of the northern part of the state has reopened for shopping, dining and outdoor activities... lodging is still shut down so while you can find some nice vacation rentals, enjoying good resorts isn't an option.

@low-key is right about which states to look to for more things being open, but it is also worth keeping local restrictions in mind because some cities and counties are keeping tighter measures in place even as their states relax the stay-at-home rules. I'm not sure if that applies to any of the places you mention but it is worth looking into to avoid any surprises.

I have never been to Amelia Island, but I have been to both Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach. Personally, I liked the quieter and more laid back Hilton Head area. And Hilton Head isn't too far from Savannah, and we took a day trip there one day of our vacation. But since you are visiting with teenagers, Myrtle Beach may be a better bet with all the attractions there.

Hilton Head does have a Disney resort that you may want to check out: Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. It will be reopening on June 15:

https://hiltonhead.disney.go.com/
We stayed at a house at the Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort in Hilton Head and really enjoyed it.

In thinking about Myrtle Beach, be sure to look at North Myrtle. I think it's nicer than Myrtle Beach itself and there is still plenty to do and Myrtle is very close to drive to. My boss is in Myrtle right now. She is swimming in the hotel pool, going out to eat (in the actual restaurant!) and said she saw at least a couple of putt-putts open. I'm wanting to convince DH and our kids to go in a couple of weeks.

My brother has a place on Myrtle Beach, and restaurants and lots of other places are open for business.

It will be a longer drive but it’s worth it.
We went to Englewood Fl last weekend. It’s on the west coast of Fl about an hour south of Tampa.
Beautiful beach, tons of shells, small sleepy town. Most restaurants were open.

B4AE2455-5AA0-4759-A9CF-9E95DA4B1FBC.jpeg771B33A5-043D-4BCC-98F9-3C7E64F8DE4C.jpegBB1371DB-6E33-420C-97DA-2CA3A8F4DE3C.jpegC92E608C-392A-49AF-A5B0-0328FE4FB3E5.jpeg5EBD139A-3FC0-45A3-998F-4EC0E8903C61.jpeg0FCAF67C-AE8E-4E88-90E1-AF3B9085B2B6.jpeg

Been to all 3. Amelia Island hands down. More laid back and more to do (if things were open) than Hilton Head. Jacksonville is about 40 minutes away, so in normal times, you'd have the zoo and sports. The town of Fernandina Beach, just on the north part of Amelia, is charming with lots of architecture, shops and restaurants.

Nice photos Weedy! I am going to be in Ft. Myers next week, was kicking around a day on Captiva/Sanibel and now I think I will!

St Augustine is about 90 minutes south of Amelia Island if that's not too far for you. I'm a NE Florida native and that would be my choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter