Which contract to sell?

NSL

Mouseketeer
We have three DVC contracts. We have a 100 point contract direct through DVC, and we have two resale contracts, one for 75 and one for 50. We no longer need the number of points we have. Our kids are going to college, and we are looking at purchasing a condo by a beach. My question is what are the benefits of keeping one over the other. We have had the resale contracts for a while, so I don't know if that makes a difference on limitations. Honestly, the 50 or 75 point contract would be enough for us, but I wasn't sure if keeping the direct contract would be a better option. TIA!

I'd sell the resale right now, can't believe how high AKl is right now!!!

I assume your 100 point contract is grandfathered into Blue Card. I would keep that one. You can gratuitously transfer to it your adult kid at some point and they will keep Blue Card. Or, maybe Blue Card is worthless in ten years and you sell.

It shouldn't be hard to rent out 100 points every other year to keep the Blue Card, if you think it would be useful to your kids. Another option is to gratuitously transfer Blue Card to one of them now, and let them handle the hassle of renting it out. At least then you know they would get a Blue Card under current rules.

Last edited:
I would hang onto the direct contract. One day DVC park parties will return. One day you may want to go to Disneyland and stay at the new tower. If 50 points is enough, you could rent out half to pay the dues. BTW, you could just start staying in bigger villas. SWMBO and I like staying in 1 bdrm villas for the kitchen and W/D. (I've reached an age where the extra bathroom at BLT and AKL are a real consideration for me.)

You know... the kids do seem to find the time to join you on vacations! I keep thinking the last 6 large trips were going to be the last family trip. Nope! They both kept saying 'sure we can come' (They were a mix of locations and types of vacations). Keep the points and have some larger family vacations at WDW. ....OK there is the money issue.

Sounds like you would be good keeping the 50 points and sell the rest. The advantage is the annual dues are lowered quite a bit.

I would hang onto the direct contract. One day DVC park parties will return. One day you may want to go to Disneyland and stay at the new tower. If 50 points is enough, you could rent out half to pay the dues. BTW, you could just start staying in bigger villas. SWMBO and I like staying in 1 bdrm villas for the kitchen and W/D. (I've reached an age where the extra bathroom at BLT and AKL are a real consideration for me.)
When did you buy the resale? If long ago, they may qualify for direct benefits.

When my "kids" were in college and then starting their careers....I sold my VWL contract - thought I had too many points. Now here we are with spouses and 4 grandchildren and I am looking at adding on. I never should have sold that contract! Big mistake!!!

When my "kids" were in college and then starting their careers....I sold my VWL contract - thought I had too many points. Now here we are with spouses and 4 grandchildren and I am looking at adding on. I never should have sold that contract! Big mistake!!!

I have a lot of friends (adults with families) whose parents take them on vacations even now. It's something that never happened for us but we decided we want to do for our adult kids, too. We rarely traveled early in our marriage and with young kids. (Always had other things to pay for or save for). But we feel vacations together are very important and want to take the stress of finding the extra money to travel off of them. Plus, we're then guaranteed to be included. lol

Us too-I’m in my 50s and we still do vacations with my folks-and sometimes they pay for the entire lodging-and we do the same with our adult daughter and her partner. I feel very blessed to have a family that wants to travel together!

I would keep the smallest contract that gives you the blue card benefits. If your resale contracts are grandfathered, bought prior to April 3 2016, there is only minor differences to you direct points, like cannot be used for the Disney and Concierge Collection. They are poor value for your points anyways. If the blue card benefits are no use to you (discounts on food, merchandise, Epcot lounge or Annual pass). Do what’s best for you.

We have three DVC contracts. We have a 100 point contract direct through DVC, and we have two resale contracts, one for 75 and one for 50. We no longer need the number of points we have. Our kids are going to college, and we are looking at purchasing a condo by a beach. My question is what are the benefits of keeping one over the other. We have had the resale contracts for a while, so I don't know if that makes a difference on limitations. Honestly, the 50 or 75 point contract would be enough for us, but I wasn't sure if keeping the direct contract would be a better option. TIA!

In this case, I'd sell your two resale contracts and keep the 100-point direct contract.

If you think you'd travel as a family again, perhaps with grandkids, you could consider renting out your extra points in the interim. The flip side to this is selling off your extra points, and rent points at the time you need extra above what you decide to keep.

When did you buy the resale? If long ago, they may qualify for direct benefits.
All of our contracts were purchased before 2016. I know that we cannot use those points for the Concierge Collection, but is that the only thing we are not able to use them for? Can they change the rules on our contracts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter