Which deluxe resort? Planning next trip...

rosiegmendez

Mouseketeer
We'd like to start budgeting and planning for my 40th birthday trip in January of 2015 (I know, 2 years off) but we'd like to go big and go deluxe or DVC.

Details - we are a family of 5, kids will be 12, 11, 9.

We are going this year, in April, for DH's 40th, for the first time, and will do a split stay at AoA and POR.

Since we live 45 minutes from Disneyland and we will be at WDW in two months, I think that in two years we can focus more on a resort stay (with parks mixed in) rather than parks focus. So, I'd like to stay at a great resort with amenities (pool, slide, beach, activities, etc) but have great access to parks.

Hard to say if we prefer monorail resorts vs. boat resorts. Poly looks great (like the feel of Hawaii and disney in one) but also like Beach Club Stormalong for kids but what about Grand Floridian and renting out the DVC's when available?

Please help! Must start saving little by little and hoarding my airline points

We use David's DVC Rentals (website is DVCrequest) to rent points for DVC stays. Much cheaper than booking through WDW reservations.

We stayed at VWL on our last trip and LOVED it! Loved having the boat transportation to FW and MK. Loved everything about the resort, and having 2BDR, full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and washer/dryer was great! Lots of recreational activities. We took the boat to CR one day & took my hubby parasailing. Took the boat to MK then hopped monorail to Poly for dinner on the beach. And WL is really an amazing resort.

One drawback to DVC is that the price doubles over the weekend. We do split stay, and transfer to our DVC resort on Sunday to avoid the weekend price increase.

Any of the hotels in the Epcot area. You can walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, the YC & BC have a huge pool, and have fires and movies on the beach, volleyball games, and Cape May is delicious! The Boardwalk has a ton of fun things to do, shows day and night, and a nice big pool with a slide as well.

We have DVC "bases" as the Boardwalk Villas and Beach Club Villas and have stayed at both 14 out of the 16 times we have been - we usually have a group of at least 10 each time we go. I personally prefer the BC. If you get the right room you can see the fireworks from Epcot.

In terms of DVC stays, you might want to consider resorts that have bedding for 5 versus 4 in a one-bedroom. OKW and AKL would both be good options because in a 1-bedroom you'd have a sleeper sofa and sleeper chair. At BCV you'd need a 2-bedroom, which would be a cost increase. I think the regular rooms at BC can hold 5. Poly can also. But then in either of those you won't have a kitchen, laundry, separate sleeping space, etc. DVC is the way to go if you think you'll spend time relaxing at the resort.

We stayed at OKW for the first time last October and loved it. From the main pool to the family activities, to Olivia's restaurant, it was perfect. We also stayed in a THV at SSR (where we own) and enjoyed the SSR pools. We did a non-parks stay (although we did do Typhoon Lagoon, which the kids loved) and had a car, so we didn't use bus transportation much, but we did take it to DHS (then took the boat to the Boardwalk) and it was great. The problem with deluxe resorts is that they have easy access to MK, but share buses to get to the other parks, and that can take forever. BCV might be a better choice if you think you'll spend more time at EP. And OKW is convenient to EP also.

Take into consideration the appeal of the resort and which park(s) you want access to. Not all of the themes appeal to us for the Deluxes. We have stayed at the following:

1. Poly: love the theme; we've stayed at the last 4 trips; monorail or boat to MK; walk to TTC and monorail to EP. Our last trip was June 2012 here and I have to say the cons were the types of people here this time. Rude, load, and doing work on the beach while I was trying to relax and not focus on work. I know some people do have to get some work done (my DH included) but do it away from the people trying to relax and fully escape. We also had one large roudy group that were getting out of control. They would take over a lot of space on the beach, drink a lot (but not under control) and just start SCREAMING (Woo-hoo, yea-han, etc). But you can get that everywhere.

2. GF: no interest in staying here again. Almost to formal for us, but we were there over Christmas and New Years Eve.

3. Contemporary: not us but my parents, but all of the concrete does not appeal for us since we live near Chicago and see enough of that.

4. WL: love the theming, beautiful resort. However, our family of 5 (kids now 16, 13 and 6) do not fit in this resort unless we get a suite $$$$. We love doing Deluxe, but not at that price.

5. This year BC: kids just wanted a change, even though I know I will miss the Poly. We are looking forward to the large pool, but will miss the view of the castle (Poly), the water pageant (Poly) and the tropical feel (Poly). However, I am hoping to find the pros of the BC: DD6 is looking forward to having a view of ToT (her favorite ride), walking distance to EP and DHS, plus we enjoy EP at night and are looking foward to that easy way back to the resort instead of the crazy buses back.

Sometimes you just need to choose your priorities and a resort that can meet most of those needs and wants. I'm sure you will be happy in whatever you choose and enjoy the adventure!

I LOVE both the Poly and Beach Club. We're hoping to return to the Beach Club in August 2014.

In your shoes, though, I think I would choose the Poly.

One of the huge draws for the Beach Club for my kids is Stormalong Bay-- that enormous pool complex. But you're going at a tricky time of year, when there's no guarantee that it will be swimming weather.

The Poly, on the other hand, still has a wonderful pool with a slide and a waterfall. But it also offers monorail access, so the Magic Kingdom is just minutes away. And you can walk to the TTC for the monorail to Epcot.

Your kids are young enough that Epcot and the Magic Kingdom are probably high priorities. With the Poly, you have easy access to both.

One drawback to DVC is that the price doubles over the weekend. We do split stay, and transfer to our DVC resort on Sunday to avoid the weekend price increase.

This isn't true. There is a premium for Friday and Saturday night stays, but it's usually between 10% and 20% for January stays at BCV.

The Poly is hard to beat for me. You can walk to the Epcot Monorail station, take the boat or the monorail to Magic Kingdom....you can sit on the beach and watch Wishes every night before you go to bed. We stayed in Hawaii, the concierge building and had free breakfasts and snacks. I love the feel of the resort.

I also love AKL. I like sitting on my balcony watching the animals. It is like you've gone to a whole other world while your there. We always rent a car so transportation isn't a big deal--but the Poly is more convenient to get around.

I think the Poly would be a great choice. The rooms are some of the largest on property and all rooms come with a daybed. We love the Poly not only for the large, spacious rooms, but also for the beautiful tropical atmosphere, the volcano pool with a view of the castle in the distance, the beach for watching the fireworks, Captain Cooks for quick meals/snack, being just 2 monorail stops away from MK, and being a 5 minute walk from the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. Any of the deluxe resorts would be great, but the Poly is just amazing in every way, IMO, and that would be my first choice. Good luck and happy planning :wizard:.

Well you would obviously would want one of the monorail resorts or an EPCOT area resort.

Monorail resorts give you monorail transportation to MK and EPCOT (through TTC) EPCOT resorts allow you to walk/boat to EPCOT and HS.

For monorail resorts I would pick POLY. It has a beach, great pool/slide, food, shopping, and great atmosphere.

For EPCOT resorts I would pick BC/BCV or YC. These resorts are right near the EPCOT walking enterance and boating dock. These resorts also shar SAB which is the best pool on property.

Any of the monorail/EPCOT resorts would be a great choice and your family would be happy with any of them. They are all incredible in their own way.

Have a great trip in 2 years!! :)

-FantasiaMagic princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter