Which "Duplicate" rides are better/worse?

dm35

Earning My Ears
I've been to Disneyland once and in September I'm making my first trip to WDW.

I know that there are several rides at Disneyland that are also in one of the 4 WDW parks. Off the top of my head I can think of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, splash/space/big thunder mountains,Peter Pan, and I know there's more as well.

My question is which ride is better at each park? Are some identical? For example I've heard that Pirates at Disneyland is significantly better and Splash Mountain at MK is significantly better.

We've been to DL once and wdw many times. I will preface my comments by saying that IMO you should try everything at wdw (couldn't tell if you are just comparing or thinking of skipping anything)

What I recall after DL/DCA trip:

PoC at DL - queue is smellier. I think I like DL slightly more despite that

IASW - I like the building and mixed in Disney characters at DL

Tea cups - wdw (didn't like the openness of DL as much)

BTMRR - same

Wdw RR - like the diarama at DL

TSM - same (though I think the lines are more manageable at DL)

PP = better at DLR
POC= better at DLR
HM-better at WDW
Space M = better at WDW
Splash= same
Pooh= same (long lines at WDW)
IASM = better at DLR
Soarin'= same
GRR vs. KRR= GRR
TSM= better queue at WDW and has FP
Dumbo= same
Jungle Cruise = same
BTMR = same
ST = same
TOT=same
RR vs. Screamin' = tie
AO=same
SW= almost the same

Just my opinion

My Premier Passport expired last spring, but while it lasted, it was fun to compare both WDW and DL so close together. My thoughts:

Haunted Mansion - relatively similar - can't pick a favorite.

Pirates - both ride and queue way better at DL. It's difficult to describe. The outside of the building is just more interesting at DL and the Blue Bayou restaurant is very fun for Pirates fans!

Splash Mountain - much better at DL. I love the single file log boats at DL, and for some reason, it seems like we spend more time outside on the ride at DL. Great views of the park! At WDW, Splash is nowhere near my favorite ride. At DL, it's probably second to ToT.

Space Mountain - now, better at WDW because of the queue and because they added the music. The DL queue is outdated compared to WDW.

Tower of Terror - this is my favorite ride at both parks. I can't decide which is better. I think the queue is better at WDW. I kind of like the view of DL on the DL version. Too close to call.

Big Thunder - they seem very similar. Maybe slight edge to DL, given the central location in the park.

TSM - better at WDW based on the inside, detailed queue and FP. Can't ride this without a significant wait at DL unless you arrive before rope drop, and as a result, we can't repeat the ride at DL with our pre-schooler while our older boys are on other rides.

Peter Pan - better at WDW. Just seems more up-to-date.

Hope you have a great WDW trip!

Peter Pan - I prefer the one @WDW
Pirates - The ride itself is better @ DL but the queue @ WDW is better
Haunted Mansion - The are both interesting and have a lot of subtle differences
Space Mountain - they are both fun but I'm getting too old to climb out of the ride vehicles @ WDW so I prefer to ride it @ DL. Dual track @ WDW or single track @ DL and totally different queues. Side by side seating @ DL vs single seating @ WDW.
Splash - I can't really comment on because I haven't been on either for a long time. Side by side seating @ WDW vs. single seating @ DL.
Pooh - I avoid at both parks
Small World - way better at DLR
Soarin' - Different queues but the ride itself is the same. I prefer the DL queue
Grizzly River vs. Kali River - Both are fun.
Toy Story Midway Mania - Interesting indoor queue @ WDW & FP or Single Rider Line & Outdoor queue @ DL, the ride itself is the same other than the loading zone
Dumbo - same
Jungle Cruise - mostly the same but some differences toward the end
Big Thunder - They are very similar with subtle differences and the rockwork is slightly different, one looks like Monument Valley & the other looks like Bryce Canyon
Star Tours - ride is the same but there are two more Star Speeders @ WDW
TOT- mostly the same
Astro Orbiter - entrance at ground level @ DL, Elevated platform @ WDW gives a totally different perspective. I prefer the higher one @ WDW
Buzz Lightyear - I score better @ WDW but the Laser Guns are not mounted to the vehicle @ DL
Snow White - Better @ DL
Indiana Jones (DL) vs. Dinosaur (WDW) - Hands down Indiana Jones. It is my absolute favorite Disney Ride. I avoid Dinosaur like the plague. Same ride vehicle & track system but totally different experiences. Perfect example of great vs. awful theming.
Tiki Room - The DL original.
Tea Cups - Out in the open @ DL, covered @ WDW
Tom Sawyer Island @ WDW vs Pirate's Lair @ DL - Pirate's Lair

Peter Pan - I noticed no real difference.
Pirates - DL--the ride is longer with additional scenes and a better drop---I also like how the ride begins near the Blue Bayou restaurant
Haunted Mansion - Also would choose DL---just because I think the section between the stretching room and where you enter your doom buggies is better themed
Space Mountain - DL--it's smoother and I prefer the seating
Splash - WDW---I prefer the boats to the logs; it's also a longer ride
Pooh - WDW---DL lacks the bouncing during the Tigger portion of the ride
Small World - DL---better theming
Soarin' - the ride is the same, but I guess I'd choose it in DL as the ride itself makes more sense in DCA than in EPCOT
Grizzly River vs. Kali River - Kali River Rapids, purely for the greater need to cool down in the sauna that it DAK
Toy Story Midway Mania -WDW---better queue; ride is otherwise the same
Dumbo - same
Jungle Cruise - don't remember any significant differences between the two
Big Thunder - I felt the WDW version was better---seemed longer and faster there; also feel that the safety spiel at WDW is better (I know, a bit weird, but DL doesn't put as much emphasis on Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!)
Star Tours - haven't been on new Star Tours yet, but old ones were the same
TOT- WDW is better---prefer moving out of original shaft right before you drop as opposed to right after you're finished loading
Astro Orbiter - WDW because of the elevation (though the line moves quicker at DL because you don't have to take the elevator)
Buzz Lightyear - WDW because I feel the mounted guns are easier to point and shoot with
Snow White - well definitely DL now that it's closed in WDW
Indiana Jones (DL) vs. Dinosaur (WDW) - Indiana Jones---I prefer the theme over that of Dinosaur (though I also love Dinosaur)---also love that Indiana Jones has slight variations in the ride (at the beginning you could be searching for various different things)
Tiki Room - haven't been on recently enough to comment
Tea Cups - DL---like being out in the open more than the enclosed WDW one---also at DL, you're more likely to get a character to ride with you than at WDW
Tom Sawyer Island @ WDW vs Pirate's Lair @ DL - WDW

Space -- DL is SO, SO, SO much better, so much smoother. WDW's Space is more comparable to the matterhorn.
Buzz -- DL is better because you can hold the gun, move it around, shoot behind you! Also you get to email yourself your photo when you're done.
Indiana Jones (DL) is a far superior ride to Dinosaur (WDW) -- better themeing, experience.
Toy Story Mania -- queue at WDW is better by far.
Tower of Terror -- slightly better at WDW because the car moves
Rock N Roller vs Calif Screaming -- slight edge to Rock N Roller due to music and theme and overall experience
Fantasmic -- DL has a better show, while WDW has better seating
Small World -- I like DL better due to the facade and the Disney characters within, but I do like that the dolls feel closer in WDW, the ride feels more cozy and the queue is out of the blazing sun
Splash Mountain -- I don't notice much difference
Pirates - DL is better, longer, better drop
New Orleans Square -- DL better, oh wait, it's only at DL. :)

We've been to DL once and wdw many times. I will preface my comments by saying that IMO you should try everything at wdw (couldn't tell if you are just comparing or thinking of skipping anything)

What I recall after DL/DCA trip:

PoC at DL - queue is smellier. I think I like DL slightly more despite that

IASW - I like the building and mixed in Disney characters at DL

Tea cups - wdw (didn't like the openness of DL as much)

BTMRR - same

Wdw RR - like the diarama at DL

TSM - same (though I think the lines are more manageable at DL)

It's your opinion and I respect it but POC slightly better at DLR, I think it is much much better!

Space -- DL is SO, SO, SO much better, so much smoother. WDW's Space is more comparable to the matterhorn.
Buzz -- DL is better because you can hold the gun, move it around, shoot behind you! Also you get to email yourself your photo when you're done.
Indiana Jones (DL) is a far superior ride to Dinosaur (WDW) -- better themeing, experience.
Toy Story Mania -- queue at WDW is better by far.
Tower of Terror -- slightly better at WDW because the car moves
Rock N Roller vs Calif Screaming -- slight edge to Rock N Roller due to music and theme and overall experience
Fantasmic -- DL has a better show, while WDW has better seating
Small World -- I like DL better due to the facade and the Disney characters within, but I do like that the dolls feel closer in WDW, the ride feels more cozy and the queue is out of the blazing sun
Splash Mountain -- I don't notice much difference
Pirates - DL is better, longer, better drop
New Orleans Square -- DL better, oh wait, it's only at DL. :)

We thought DLR Splash lacked the story and immersion into it compared to the one at WDW. Also, maybe we're crazy but just seemed more rushed like we were moving from scene to scene alot quicker at DLR than we do @ WDW.

Well, my last trip to Disneyland was back in 2003, but I was just at WDW. Here are my thoughts:

WDW has the better version:
- Tower of Terror (have never actually been on it, but that's what I've heard)
- Jungle Cruise (it has an indoor section, sort of)
- Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse (not a fan of the Tarzan version, even though Tarzan is much more updated for today's kids..)

Disneyland has the better version:
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Indiana Jones (v. Dinosaur)
- Haunted Mansion
- It's a Small World
- Splash Mountain (I prefer the seating arrangement more, plus Florida's water smell like sulfur)
- Space Mountain (prefer the seating)
- Teacups (not a fan of them being covered)

The same:
- Soarin'
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

PoC - much better at DL -beginning has bayou set and Blue Bayou restaurant.

ToT - much better at WDW - approach to the attraction, lobby, ride itself, building, gift shop it's ALL better at WDW.

Tiki room - better at DL

Grizzly River Run (DL) MUCH better than Kali River Rapids at WDW.

Indiana Jones (DL) better than Dinosaur (WDW) although I like both, Indy wins.

Pooh - better at WDW - bouncing cars (and better vehicles)

Fantasmic! - WAY better at DL!

Let me note Pooh is much easier for me to get into at WDW. I am 6'5 and had a heck of a time fitting my knees inside Pooh @ DLR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter