Which EPCOT are you visiting? How perceptions of world showcase have a big impact!

They ruined Test Track when they took out the hot and cold rooms and now they've ruined Soarin' by making the movie so distorted. There's nothing in World Showcase worth the long, hot, boring walk. Epcot is barely a 1/2 day park.
I agree about TT for sure. Soarin, I am not sure. I have not seen an explanation for the distortion but am wondering if it is because there are so many tall, vertical landmarks in it like Eiffel Tower and Monument Valley. Sitting in the center section is the only way for me now.

:wizard:

I'm still shocked that Disney management allowed the Soarin' video to be so distorted. Can't they fix that? The bridge didn't look distorted in the old movie. Why do all of the tall monuments look that way now?

I really liked Epcot on our first visit last year. I did not like all the drinking/ drunk adults bumping into me and my kids in the evening in the WS. There were lots of people having dramatic loud moments. It felt like being in a bar, not at Disney. Next time we will "do" the countries first before 3ish and future world after. I imagine that would help? Between food and wine and the garden festival which would you choose?

I haven’t been during any festivals and Epcot is my family’s favorite park including my 11yo. But I was so frustrated with the drunkenness last time and I feel like it is encouraged, they want people to drink around the world and attract people for 21st birthday and bachelorette party drunkenness.

I really liked Epcot on our first visit last year. I did not like all the drinking/ drunk adults bumping into me and my kids in the evening in the WS. There were lots of people having dramatic loud moments. It felt like being in a bar, not at Disney. Next time we will "do" the countries first before 3ish and future world after. I imagine that would help? Between food and wine and the garden festival which would you choose?

IMO Flower and Garden is more tame (that may change with time I guess), but I've not seen as blatantly drunk/loud behavior at F&G as I have at F&W in recent years. And a bigger difference is to avoid weekend nights there. As and adult with no kids, I don't want to be there during those rowdy times either, so have changed when I go as well.

We had one park day in Orlando Thanksgiving weekend. EPCOT was dd16s choice.

We arrived at 9:30 and left at closing and still wished we had more time. We enjoyed the Christmas extras, rode everything and visited the shops in the countries.

Still a magical part of our Disney experience.

I participate in another Disney World Forum where this topic is discussed extensively. Many of us are fans of Epcot as it once was. We scour information to see if there will be improvements. We lament the "toonification" of the park that was once "Edutainment" and has now become almost two separate parks. We detest the unending festivals to retain the relevance of what was once a inspiring park. And we ironically now refer to the park as "Ipcot" as in IP (intellectual property). We are the older, jaded, disappointed guests who remember the original Journey into Imagination. Energy before Ellen. Innoventions when the hands on exhibits were non-stop. I remember when NASA showed up with a replica Mars Rover and was demonstrating it near the fountains in Future World. Wonders of Life had at least 3 attractions and my kids were fascinated and inspired.

Now, for me, Epcot is World Showcase with a few rides. I understand OP. It is a legitimate question and observation.

IMO, as one who grew up going to the "nostalgic EPCOT," the one before the 'net existed, before cell phones, and before anyone of any number had PC's. I personally believe tech just flat out changes too fast to keep up with in any meaningful way. I remember when it was big news that you could check your email in Innoventions. Now that just makes me lol. I don't think there is a way for Disney to keep ahead of (not just keep up with but ahead of) the changing tech. So there has to be a re-imagining of Future World. The only way to truly do that is to go sci-fi... or pay Elon to come play. lol

As for WS, I believe the festivals fit. I hope fresh movies are coming. I do hope that the characters are utilized in a tasteful way, I think the absolute popularity of Frozen dictated that something was going to change. Change is fine. EPCOT is never going to be what Walt wanted it to be, and many guests complained of a lack for their kids. Now that we have the 'net on our phones, we don't need to be educated in the same way about other cultures, we can pull up any info we want, and even go there in VR. People travel more. They are going to have to do something to pull people in to WS, and right now, that's adding rides themed to Disney Characters.

I enjoyed and loved EPCOT back in the day, and I still do. I do mourn certain rides, but I totally get that they had to scrap them. They do need to change and grow or they are going to die. Situations can and do change enough that I switch how I approach parks, for example with the drinking on weekends so heavily during F&W that I won't go back to EPCOT on weekend nights... if they keep changing things and I don't like them I'll spend time elsewhere.

Epcot, a lot like AK, is a park that you allows you to slow down if you wish to just enjoy the place to stop and smell the roses.
This. My kids like Epcot. Always have. It is a chance to eat different things. Explore the countries (wonder how many who complain Epcot is 1/2 day park know how deep these pavilions go? Although Soarin is way way over rated LOL! I think AK is probably my top park-Pandora aside. There is soo much to do and see and just take in that you cannot appreciate if you are rushing from one thrill to another.
I remember when it was big news that you could check your email in Innoventions
Or you could make dining reservations day of via the video screen!
I think the absolute popularity of Frozen dictated that something was going to change. Change is fine.
Change can be good-as long as it isn't the horrible replacement the FEA is! One and done for us and we only did it because I snagged a last minute fast pass on NYE.
My love for the park is nostalgia based as well though. It does need updates, most of the IP pushed into the place is poorly done compared to what it once was. If you didn't get to see the original JII or Horizons or WoL then it is hard to understand the frustration. The rumors are flying that Epcot is FINALLY going to get the love and money it deserves so we will see...

Change can be good-as long as it isn't the horrible replacement the FEA is! One and done for us and we only did it because I snagged a last minute fast pass on NYE.
My love for the park is nostalgia based as well though. It does need updates, most of the IP pushed into the place is poorly done compared to what it once was. If you didn't get to see the original JII or Horizons or WoL then it is hard to understand the frustration. The rumors are flying that Epcot is FINALLY going to get the love and money it deserves so we will see...

I have such wonderful memories of not only seeing the original JII, but also meeting Dreamfinder walking around with Figment, and riding and absolutely loving Horizons over and over again, though I have to admit WoL wasn't a fav (interestingly that was a "new edition" at the time I didn't like and it never grew on me). So, I do get the frustration, but there is no easy fix for EPCOT, IMO. Many may find FEA horrible, but many obviously don't and that's ok. I still love EPCOT, but I'm not holding my breath that it gets all the love and attention that I feel it deserves right now. I wish it would, but I don't see that happening. I do look forward to several changes, but while that's going on, I'm just going to keep enjoying it, and it is still my favorite overall park. Disney has a challenge here trying to balance out nostalgia with change, innovation with budgets, and rapidly changing tech. I don't envy the Imagineers in this case.

Every indication I have seen is that the driving reason for the major changes to Journey Into Imagination had to do with the difficulties of separating the cars and syncing them up with the show scenes on the turntable, then bringing the cars back together. In the early 80's, with everything being pretty much analog, I could see that being a problem. Today we have microprocessors in everything. The computing power in the Test Track cars is unbelievable, and that has a reasonable amount of uptime. I can't imagine that it would be terribly difficult to make the turntable work properly for Journey now. Fixing that ride, and bringing back the upstairs area would be a huge step in the right direction.

Indeed, some of what was removed from Future World needed to be. The rate at which technology changes makes it virtually impossible for something like Innoventions to continue on the way it was first envisioned. However, some of the themes from prior attractions could still be presented today, in a way that would keep them relevant for many years. Spaceship Earth with it's story of the history of communication is a fine example.

The World of Motion could certainly be recreated, and would still be relevant today. Inside Out would be an absolutely perfect fit for the old Wonders of Life pavilion. It was quite a popular movie, giving solid IP tie in, and keeping the IP relevant would be good for any future sequel to the movie.

I don't see any reason why IP can't be introduced, and exist in harmony with the original vision of Future World. In many ways, this could enhance that original vision. Kids are more likely, in my opinion, to pay attention, and learn from an attraction that has characters they are familiar with, and love.

Let's have some of those characters tackle Energy. The Ellen and Bill Nye ride was getting pretty stale, and dated, but the subject is certainly still very relevant. There is no reason why it couldn't be presented in a new way, using existing IP.

I don't see any reason why IP can't be introduced, and exist in harmony with the original vision of Future World. In many ways, this could enhance that original vision. Kids are more likely, in my opinion, to pay attention, and learn from an attraction that has characters they are familiar with, and love.

Let's have some of those characters tackle Energy. The Ellen and Bill Nye ride was getting pretty stale, and dated, but the subject is certainly still very relevant. There is no reason why it couldn't be presented in a new way, using existing IP.
Well said. Although I did not start seeing Ellen and Bill until 2006 (my first trip to Epcot) so maybe it was not so stale for me. I loved UOE and thought it was a fabulous concept.

:wizard:

Epcot "Was" my favorite park back in the day. Test Track was a "Test Track" and I loved the whole crash test dummy part before you went outside. Spaceship earth was amazing and the end with the girl having a video chat with her brother on a space station was the best part. I know times change and spaceship earth needed to be changed but not Test Track! So much is closed now, it's only fun for a little while. We love touring around the world and my kids love all the rides. They really like the boat ride in mexico and the land boat ride. We all did Mission Space and got right back in line. We ate a lot of food at F&W but The garden grill is our favorite restaurant followed by coral reef. But ....... after this past September, we will limit our Epcot visit to early in the day since we will be there for F&W again. Never in my life have I ever been around so many rude and disrespectful adults. I know F&W is catered to adults but it's still Disney. My wife and my youngest were tired and went back to the resort, Me and my 6 year old stayed but after hearing "F" this, "F" yeah, "F" whatever by so many drunk irresponsible adults, I decided we needed to leave. I know all about the "Freedom of speech" Blah blah blah. No mater what time it is, it's still a family park and we never felt so out of place than we did at Epcot that night.

Most of my past visits have been to EPCOT since they were for school field trips. I can honestly say that as a teen, me and my friends always had a good time in the park. Riding the rides at the beginning, mixing all the coke flavors together at club cool, and then walking around WS to do our assignment and on the times I was there with my chorus class singing in the candlelight processional. As a teen we were all interested in Japanese culture(anime nerds) so we spent a lot of time in that pavilion, looking in the shops and at the art.

I do think though that what made it a more fun experience was being there with my friends and doing what we wanted when we wanted.

I guess your level of entertainment in the park really matters on what you're into and who you're with.

I like Epcot but DS15 not so much. After we ride Soaring, Test Track, and Spaceship Earth...he's ready to go. I like wandering around all the countries and picking up souvenirs along the way or buying delicious treats here and there.

I'm still shocked that Disney management allowed the Soarin' video to be so distorted. Can't they fix that? The bridge didn't look distorted in the old movie. Why do all of the tall monuments look that way now?
1212730_3.jpg

I have been going to WDW since I was a baby in the early 80s. Every year and a half or so, sometimes every year. We have never skipped Epcot, ever. We still love it. It is different than it used to be and I do miss things but I hope that my kids will love today’s Epcot as much as I loved the old Epcot growing up. They are only 3 & 1.5 but they really responded well at Epcot and we had a great day there on our most recent trip. I am not going to deprive them of experiencing the Epcot of today just because I miss stuff from the 80s/90s/2000s.
Not to mention, I still really do enjoy Epcot!

I still love every day we spend in Epcot (but what I wouldn’t give to be able to step into a fully functional Wonders of Life pavilion with an operational Cranium Command!)

Last edited:
Epcot is by far my favorite park ever since we went for the first time a few months after it opened when i was in middle school. Now it is the favorite of my entire family. No, it's not the same as it was, but I still love wandering the different countries. No, the food isn't the same quality as when you would get in the actual country (and of course, has been Disney-fied), but it's close enough. Most importantly, it's given my daughter a taste of what you can gain by traveling, and she loves WS. When she was really young, she'd sleep in her stroller while we shopped and hit a few coloring stations and the rides. Slightly older and she loved (still does) completing the passport and playing the Kim Possible/Phineas and Ferb game. She's more willing to try a new food at Disney (I look at it like "gateway foods" to introducing true ethnic variety:teeth:) , and I think she's fostered a greater interest in learning about other cultures. Kids learn about other culture in school, and she gets to experience a little bit of it in Epcot. She loves to point out details she sees there that she learned about in school (and vice versa) or that we've seen on previous trips abroad. For the adults, it's a welcome break from running around merely trying to hit the thrill rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter