Which hotel is best for our needs - Contemporary or Polynesian?

traveler_t

Earning My Ears
Visiting in February with 2 kids (5, 7). Main attraction in MK but will visit all other parks as well. No car.
Our main considerations are convenience going to parks and hotel attractions during afternoon break. Theme / food is less priority (though still nice).

Contemporary - we can walk to MK. Is this realistic to do it back and forth with kids this age? Or would it be better to save energy. Seems this would be the most convenient way to get early (with short security), come back mid-day, and stay late. And just walking to monorail from Poly might take a few min anyway so we might as well be on our way to the park.

Poly - has better water play for those afternoon breaks. Though in February not sure weather would allow kids to enjoy it?

The contemporary option is a theme park facing view on bay lake tower while Poly is standard view (away from construction).

What would you recommend for our needs?

Visiting in February with 2 kids (5, 7). Main attraction in MK but will visit all other parks as well. No car.
Our main considerations are convenience going to parks and hotel attractions during afternoon break. Theme / food is less priority (though still nice).

Contemporary - we can walk to MK. Is this realistic to do it back and forth with kids this age? Or would it be better to save energy. Seems this would be the most convenient way to get early (with short security), come back mid-day, and stay late. And just walking to monorail from Poly might take a few min anyway so we might as well be on our way to the park.

Poly - has better water play for those afternoon breaks. Though in February not sure weather would allow kids to enjoy it?

The contemporary option is a theme park facing view on bay lake tower while Poly is standard view (away from construction).

I would go for Contemporary. Walk to the park in the morning and take the monorail back to the resort in the afternoon. I also like the convenience of the restaurant options being in the same building as the rooms. Feb can be iff-y for weather and it's nice to not have to walk outside to go get a meal at your resort.

My son and daughter were in that range once and we have stayed at both...I would say Poly personally...while that walk to Contemporary is pretty sweet I think that pro is offset by the proximity to the TTC at the Poly for Epcot.
..and during midday breaks we would take the monorail to Contemporary sometimes anyway since there are little crowds then.
Don't worry about the pool temperature as they are kept warm all year...and the Poly pool is much better than the Contemporary pool..plus you can get dole whips...with rum inside if you so desire at polynesian.
Don't get me wrong...I loved the Contemporary. But the TTC being within walking distance, the pool, the themjng, captain cooks coconut rice meatballs...dole whips...ohana. trader sams...I would go with Poly.
FYI when they were that old we still had a double stroller in the room just in case...when they crashed in the evening it came in super handy a couple times when we were bouncing around the world showcase or Pandora. Happy planning!

Contemporary. You will appreciate the short walk to/from MK. I believe you said BLT. If so, that is an even shorter walk to MK than the Contemporary itself. Security is along the walkway and pretty quick to get through. You will take the covered walkway from 5th floor of BLT to 4th floor of Contemporary. All dining options are as soon as you walk onto the 4th Floor. I will say the BLT pool is not a key attraction, especially compared to the Poly pool. However, pool in February isn't a guaranty with weather so I would choose BLT for ease of going to MK. The upside of Poly is you can walk to TTC and catch monorail to Epcot. I am still a fan of BLT. I have a 4 1/2 yo and MK is the most visited park.

Okay, Contemp beats Poly on walking convenience. Is it walkable for your children? Only you know. My traveling kiddos are used to walking in an urban setting and none squawked or whined when we stayed at this resort.
Where Contemp loses is on room size. Pretty sure these are the smallest deluxe rooms on property and for us it showed. The terraces are too high and narrow to sit on comfortably. We stayed here once and no more. Never stayed at the tower so the experience may be different.

We stayed at Poly several times for easy transport, lovely surroundings and of course the pools. In many ways it’s the best family resort in the MK area. Only our growing love for Epcot and Hollywood Studios caused us to leave Poly. Oh right and the realization that CL at BWI is sooooo much better.

You really cannot go wrong with either, I would suggest you look at video tours of the resorts and decide on which one appeals to you. Look at the food options and menu also. I cannot help with afternoon breaks since we tried it a couple of times and really hated it so never did it again. LOL I will say that on days that you do not stay at the parks late, being able to see the MK fireworks from your room in your PJ's is a BIG plus and is great to see.

I think the WL (and AKL?) has the smallest hotel rooms of the deluxe resorts (but the resort is so wonderful otherwise, it hardly matters ;)). And I’m pretty sure the garden and tower rooms at the CR (we’ve stayed in both) are the same size - a bit smaller than the Poly rooms. We love the great variety of restaurants at the CR (Chef Mickey’s, California Grill, Steakhouse 71), but unfortunately the pools are not very exciting. The walk to the MK is an easy one, but many kids do enjoy the monorail too. The garden wing rooms are less expensive than those in the tower, but they are in a separate building. BLT is another option, although the studios are small and there are no restaurants in the building (but there is a bridge that connects to the CR). And the pool there is kind of bland too (and too small IMHO).

I personally would avoid any hotel undergoing construction/renovation, but that’s just my opinion. Otherwise the Poly is a lovely resort with a fantastic ambience. Great eating and pools and location is wonderful as well. The “Moana” room theming is very nice as well. Proximity to the TTC is a plus too. I think, but can’t say for certain, that most of the bathrooms have only showers (no tubs), so you may want to check into that. And the Poly has DVC studios as well if you’d like more space.

Both are great resorts. My preference over the years has switched to the WL, but it is somewhat less convenient (no MK walkway, no monorail, fewer dining options), especially when traveling with kids.

We always love walking back and forth to MK better than waiting for the monorail if there's a line! Usually ride the monorail on the way and walk back to skip the monorail line!!! CR is our absolute favorite, we love waking up the the castle every morning and watching the fireworks from our balcony every night.

My vote goes to Poly as well.

BLT is great and unlike some others, i truly enjoy the aesthetic in the rooms and resort.

Poly is just better though lol. You’ll get a bigger room. You’ll have a full bathroom just like BLT, but Poly also has the bonus extra Rainfall shower room with sink.

As far as transportation there are many great options from DVC side. If you’re mid-resort (getting a bite to eat, etc) you have choice of resort monorail in GCH or the smaller resort boat that circles between Poly/VGF/MK. If you see the ferry coming the TTC is right there next to DVC rooms (3 to 5 minute walk), or you can do the express MK monorail there as well. That same very short walk can get your family directly on the EP monorail at TTC. From BLT you’d need to transfer and becomes much more of a hassle.

Since the points for TPV at BLT are right in line with standard Poly, this would be a very easy decision for us even with young children. I’d only suggest BLT if you were very interested in looking at MK, seeing fireworks from room, or wanting to try something new after doing Poly. I just think Poly has more pros that outweigh the BLT to MK walk, and it’s easy to get to MK from Poly.

Poly improves a trip more than BLT imho.

I would usually suggest Poly, simply for theming, but in your case, I would do CR. I would take the pool out of the equation for February. The weather is just too unpredictable. I've been in February when the highs have been in the mid-50's - even with a heated pool, it's just way too cold to swim. IMHO, it is definitely realistic to walk to CR/MK with a 5 and 7 year old and, if you get tired, you can still take the monorail there. The room category at CR is also incredible - you can relax on your balcony and enjoy the fireworks!

My vote goes to Poly as well.

BLT is great and unlike some others, i truly enjoy the aesthetic in the rooms and resort.

Poly is just better though lol. You’ll get a bigger room. You’ll have a full bathroom just like BLT, but Poly also has the bonus extra Rainfall shower room with sink.

As far as transportation there are many great options from DVC side. If you’re mid-resort (getting a bite to eat, etc) you have choice of resort monorail in GCH or the smaller resort boat that circles between Poly/VGF/MK. If you see the ferry coming the TTC is right there next to DVC rooms (3 to 5 minute walk), or you can do the express MK monorail there as well. That same very short walk can get your family directly on the EP monorail at TTC. From BLT you’d need to transfer and becomes much more of a hassle.

Since the points for TPV at BLT are right in line with standard Poly, this would be a very easy decision for us even with young children. I’d only suggest BLT if you were very interested in looking at MK, seeing fireworks from room, or wanting to try something new after doing Poly. I just think Poly has more pros that outweigh the BLT to MK walk, and it’s easy to get to MK from Poly.

Poly improves a trip more than BLT imho.
thanks everyone for the answers! I'll also add that we're aiming for the busy presidents day week. could we find ourselves waiting 30+ min for transportation when coming back from MK (or when going in the morning)? in such case BLT could potentially unblock us.

thanks everyone for the answers! I'll also add that we're aiming for the busy presidents day week. could we find ourselves waiting 30+ min for transportation when coming back from MK (or when going in the morning)? in such case BLT could potentially unblock us.
Yes, sometimes you’ll wait 30 minutes or more for Disney transportation - even at less busy times of year. Leaving MK after fireworks means you can count on waiting in a very long line for the monorail, the ferry, or the boat (to Poly), whereas if you’re staying at BLT the walk is the same 10 minutes it always is.

PS Due to the walk from the monorail station in CR to BLT, I’d plan on walking back from MK to BLT. Taking the monorail means walking up the ramp, waiting to board, riding, disembarking at CR, riding the escalator down, then walking past the stores at CR to the bridge to BLT. Taking the walkway from MK to BLT is more direct and often faster.

One question - are you comparing a Deluxe Studio at BLT and a Deluxe Studio at Poly? The Poly studio will be much larger and have a queen bed, a queen Murphy bed, and a bunk size Murphy bed, not to mention two bathrooms (only one toilet). The BLT studio will be smaller (some would say tiny) and have a queen bed and a double pullout sofa, and just one bathroom. You may or may not have already considered those differences but if not they might be important.

thanks, I'm comparing the available rooms for my dates which would be Deluxe BLT (theme park view) and Deluxe PS (view unaffected by construction, not theme park). Thanks for the added data points.

btw in Hollywood park, can I expect similar long wait to transportation after Fantasmic (for a day with only one show at 8pm if that matters). Since we might need to arrive directly from HS to MK after the show to make it for extended hours (9pm-11pm). will an uber help or would it be hard to get?

Yes, sometimes you’ll wait 30 minutes or more for Disney transportation - even at less busy times of year. Leaving MK after fireworks means you can count on waiting in a very long line for the monorail, the ferry, or the boat (to Poly), whereas if you’re staying at BLT the walk is the same 10 minutes it always is.

PS Due to the walk from the monorail station in CR to BLT, I’d plan on walking back from MK to BLT. Taking the monorail means walking up the ramp, waiting to board, riding, disembarking at CR, riding the escalator down, then walking past the stores at CR to the bridge to BLT. Taking the walkway from MK to BLT is more direct and often faster.

One question - are you comparing a Deluxe Studio at BLT and a Deluxe Studio at Poly? The Poly studio will be much larger and have a queen bed, a queen Murphy bed, and a bunk size Murphy bed, not to mention two bathrooms (only one toilet). The BLT studio will be smaller (some would say tiny) and have a queen bed and a double pullout sofa, and just one bathroom. You may or may not have already considered those differences but if not they might be important.
(previous comment is reply to this)

thanks, I'm comparing the available rooms for my dates which would be Deluxe BLT (theme park view) and Deluxe PS (view unaffected by construction, not theme park). Thanks for the added data points.
Sounds like the DVC Deluxe Studios, so look at the floor plans. The Poly studios are close to the largest at WDW, BLT are close to the smallest!
btw in Hollywood park, can I expect similar long wait to transportation after Fantasmic (for a day with only one show at 8pm if that matters). Since we might need to arrive directly from HS to MK after the show to make it for extended hours (9pm-11pm). will an uber help or would it be hard to get?
Lines for Disney transportation will be long after Fantasmic. I’m not sure about the wait for an Uber, but they’ll be in-demand too.

I can't imagine trying to hop with a 5 and 7 year old after a fireworks show at 9pm. We aren't hoppers, but we are all cooked at that hour after being in the parks all day, even with a break.
I agree with this. If Fantasmic is at 8 then it will be over at 8:30, by the time you get to MK you will be "lucky" to have 90 minutes inside MK. If you do not have something like a sit-n-stand, where your kids can "take a load off" and you can make faster time, then that will be a lot of extra "fast" walking on your kids. One of the biggest mistakes parents do is trying to cram everything in. Now if you are just going to MK to stroll around and maybe do a ride where you did not have to rush there then that may work. Just because you can hop doesn't mean it's a good idea. LOL
Can you clarify that you "are" using DVC points or are you just looking at basic rooms through Disney's site?

Uber will drop you off at the TTC and you’ll have to take the monorail or ferry over to the MK. I don’t think it’s worth it to try and get into the MK after DHS, especially with young children and being in a crowded DHS all day. President’s week is very busy due to all the school vacations and they may be at meltdown point by then. You, too! Good luck with your decision. My two cents would be if MK is your priority, during a busy vacation week, the ability to walk a short distance and be back in my room with young kids would win for me, so as much as I love the Poly, I’d choose the CR/BLT.

I'd reccomend Poly because it has more of a "kid-friendly" vibe to it. Whenever my family went to Contemp, we all felt that it was very business-y.

Where Contemp loses is on room size. Pretty sure these are the smallest deluxe rooms on property
Definitely not the smallest deluxe. Smallest is Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge (both at 344 sq ft), increasing in size to Boardwalk (371 sp ft), then Yacht/Beach Club (381 sq ft), then Contemporary (394 sq ft), then Polynesian (415 sq ft) and then Grand Floridian (440 sq ft). All averages, of course, and there are some differences between rooms in each resort. If you've ever stayed in WL or AKL, you'll definitely feel the size difference of 50 sq ft between those and the Contemporary, whereas the difference between CR and Poly is only about 20 sq ft.

I'd say that the pool at Poly is better than CR, mainly because there is absolutely no shade at all. It's just a concrete hole in the middle of an open area. Unless you're talking about BLT, in which case I'd say that the pool is definitely better, as is the play area.

CR is better for location, IMO. While the walk may be an issue for a 5 and 7-year-old, especially after a long day in the parks, it's also no picnic standing in line at the monorail for a potentially substantial period of time. At least with walking, you feel like you're making some kind of progress, and you have the monorail as an option. The only options for MK to Poly are monorail or boat or walking to TTC to take monorail or ferry, which means lots of standing and waiting. The other benefit to CR is that it's a relatively short walk to the bus station at MK, which has buses to all of the other resorts, whereas the buses at CR or Poly only go to the parks and Disney Springs. That can give you a lot of options for dining or visiting other resorts more quickly. CR is not my favourite resort by a long shot, but there are some definite advantages to it location-wise. Plus Steakhouse 71 and California Grill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter