• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Hotel would you stay at?

Which Hotel would you stay at?

• Grand Californian - Standard view room

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Disneyland Hotel - Standard view room

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Disneyland Hotel - Premium view room

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
I keep flipping back and forth on my decision and almost just booked something, but then started second guessing myself. I've narrowed down my hotel choices to Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian. It'll be my boyfriend and I's first time here and probably won't be coming back for a long time since we live in Florida.

Originally I was pretty set on the Disneyland Hotel, but I think the Grand Californian will be finished with the renovations by the time we are there in February and it would be nice to have a brand new type room. I also like that it's really close and has it's own entrance. We'll be spending most of our time at the parks, but would be relaxing at night at the hotel since the parks will probably be closing early.

If I do the Grand Californian it'll probably be a standard view. If I do the Disneyland hotel I would either do standard (since it's cheapest and we won't be in the room much) or a premium view (I like that the room will be high up, I always feel like lower floors are noisier)

Is there one hotel over the other that will be nicer to relax at?

Which would you pick?

I have done GCH premium view and standard view, as well as DLH premium view.

I would choose a DLH premium view over the GCH standard which will likely look out over the hotel entrance and driveway (which is what we got that time, but the rate was super low). If you will not be spending much time at the hotel like you said, then the extra cost for GCH just does not seem worth it to me. DLH standard view may be the best option then.

:wizard:

I don't spend much time in my room, but it's really nice to get back to the Grand so quickly. It's especially nice if you are soaked from Grizzly Rapids and want to change your clothes. Depending on where your room is, it can be pretty loud during the day. That doesn't matter if you are out all day, but if you are looking for some quiet time in the room during the day, you may not get any. The rooms do have a small balcony, which is nice.

I don't spend much time in my room, but it's really nice to get back to the Grand so quickly. It's especially nice if you are soaked from Grizzly Rapids and want to change your clothes. Depending on where your room is, it can be pretty loud during the day. That doesn't matter if you are out all day, but if you are looking for some quiet time in the room during the day, you may not get any. The rooms do have a small balcony, which is nice.
I personally would not ride GRR in February. Splash Mtn? Maybe.

The location of GCH especially to DCA is of course pretty awesome. Whether it is fact closer to DL or not depends a lot on where you room is at the GCH. And DLH for that matter.

I always choose the DLH so I can't believe I'm saying this, but if it were just me and my boyfriend........I might maybe choose the Grand. It really depends on what you're interest are. For us, we love the DLH because the rooms are larger, the grounds are a little more "Disney" but we travel with the whole family. For two people the rooms size at the Grand would be fine, if the remodel is complete the rooms will be extra nice. What are you interested in.......I think the Grand is more of a "grown up" place and the DLH is more of a "were here for Disney fun" place.

Either way they are both great places and you will so enjoy your trip......but I wouldn't wait much longer to book!!

Depends. You are a WDW person. GC is basically a scaled down version of WL- beautiful, but if you have ever stayed at the WL, it is not going to feel like someplace totally new to you. For us, because we have stayed at WL multiple times, we prefer the DLH. The rooms are bigger, and Trader Sams is there. Plus, by WDW standards, the walk to the park is nothing, and we enjoy walking through DTD and stopping at stores here and there. It is nice to have your own entrance to and from CA (except for at the morning rush) at GC. DLH has 3 views, standard, deluxe and premium. We typically do the deluxe- that is interior pool views but from the lower floors. We have always been happy with that view. They are both great places. I think for an adult trip where you are talking about being back at the resort earlier at night having Trader Sams at DLH would probably tip the scale for me.

I personally would not ride GRR in February. Splash Mtn? Maybe.

The location of GCH especially to DCA is of course pretty awesome. Whether it is fact closer to DL or not depends a lot on where you room is at the GCH. And DLH for that matter.

I think we'll probably avoid water rides if it's cold out, but I did read a couple reports from last year where it was rainy and hot so if that's the case we would. When you stayed in the standard room was your room location good to the parks?

I always choose the DLH so I can't believe I'm saying this, but if it were just me and my boyfriend........I might maybe choose the Grand. It really depends on what you're interest are. For us, we love the DLH because the rooms are larger, the grounds are a little more "Disney" but we travel with the whole family. For two people the rooms size at the Grand would be fine, if the remodel is complete the rooms will be extra nice. What are you interested in.......I think the Grand is more of a "grown up" place and the DLH is more of a "were here for Disney fun" place.

Either way they are both great places and you will so enjoy your trip......but I wouldn't wait much longer to book!!
The trip is a surprise to celebrate my boyfriends birthday. I think we fit into both, wanting a romantic couples trip, but also Disney fans. It's why I'm so conflicted lol. If my stay was longer I'd split my stay between the two, but one night at one place seems like a waste and too much effort.

Depends. You are a WDW person. GC is basically a scaled down version of WL- beautiful, but if you have ever stayed at the WL, it is not going to feel like someplace totally new to you. For us, because we have stayed at WL multiple times, we prefer the DLH. The rooms are bigger, and Trader Sams is there. Plus, by WDW standards, the walk to the park is nothing, and we enjoy walking through DTD and stopping at stores here and there. It is nice to have your own entrance to and from CA (except for at the morning rush) at GC. DLH has 3 views, standard, deluxe and premium. We typically do the deluxe- that is interior pool views but from the lower floors. We have always been happy with that view. They are both great places. I think for an adult trip where you are talking about being back at the resort earlier at night having Trader Sams at DLH would probably tip the scale for me.
I stayed at the Wilderness lodge when I was a little kid, but I don't remember it. My boyfriend has never been. We are staying there in December, but I don't want to wait until then to pick a place. I can always modify my reservation after booking right? My boyfriend's reaction to that hotel could make me change my mind down the road. I was thinking of walking to the hotel I don't stay at to see what it's like. The walk from any of the hotels will probably feel super close, but I do like how the Grand has that unique park entrance that you can't find at WDW. With the DLH deluxe view do you find the room is noisier because you're at a closer level to the pool? I had read about reviews from people who stayed facing DTD that said it was pretty noisy on the lower floors.

For the Grand Californian it mentions you could get bunk beds, they wouldn't give that to a room with only two people would they?

If you're staying for more than 3 nights, then I think it might be worth a split stay if you think that this is the only time you'll stay on site, you essentially double your experience. If you think you're going to use the pools, I'd pick DLH for the better slides and proximity to Trader Sam's. The rooms at GCH are kind of small, and the best part is really the lobby, which you'd be able to experience while staying at DLH. DLH is the classic hotel, there's a lot of nostalgia there. On the other hand, if you're going to do midday breaks, I'd consider club level at PPH. Rooms are decent size and you'd have the lounge access. Worth the slightly longer walk and you'd still have the option of a premium view of DCA.

I'd choose DLH because that's my fave of their 3 hotels. I've stayed at all of them. The Grand was nice when DD was little and needed nap breaks but we like the feel of DLH better and the pools are nicer IMO. Wherever you stay, I'm sure you'll have fun :)

If you're staying for more than 3 nights, then I think it might be worth a split stay if you think that this is the only time you'll stay on site, you essentially double your experience. If you think you're going to use the pools, I'd pick DLH for the better slides and proximity to Trader Sam's. The rooms at GCH are kind of small, and the best part is really the lobby, which you'd be able to experience while staying at DLH. DLH is the classic hotel, there's a lot of nostalgia there. On the other hand, if you're going to do midday breaks, I'd consider club level at PPH. Rooms are decent size and you'd have the lounge access. Worth the slightly longer walk and you'd still have the option of a premium view of DCA.
We're only going for three nights so I think a split stay will be too much of a hassle. I'd like to stay club, but it's too far above my price range. Do they heat their pools? We'll be there in February so it might be really cold out.

I'd choose DLH because that's my fave of their 3 hotels. I've stayed at all of them. The Grand was nice when DD was little and needed nap breaks but we like the feel of DLH better and the pools are nicer IMO. Wherever you stay, I'm sure you'll have fun :)

Stayed at the DLH in January. Water slides were under refurbishment, so I'm not sure about pool temp. The hotel is beautiful, and those light-up headboards are magic.

Staying at the GC next trip. It's also beautiful, but that's not really why we're staying - we want the proximity. The walk back to DLH, while not exactly long, gets to be a struggle if you're going back and forth multiple times for toddler naps. Since you're not, I fully agree with this:

I think for an adult trip where you are talking about being back at the resort earlier at night having Trader Sams at DLH would probably tip the scale for me.

But of course GC has the Hearthstone and Napa Rose! You can't go wrong either way.

Oh, AND. I don't know if you care, but the Coffee House at DLH has Dole Whips with rum. I do care about that, enough so that I am going to stroll right down there and get one even though we're staying at the GC!

Oh, AND. I don't know if you care, but the Coffee House at DLH has Dole Whips with rum. I do care about that, enough so that I am going to stroll right down there and get one even though we're staying at the GC!
I do love the Dole Whips, never tried it with rum before.

I have never stayed at either but we are going in October of next year and are planning on staying at DLH. Our main reasoning was that it had more of a Disney magic feel while GCH is more luxurious. We just aren't going to be in the room enough to care a ton about luxury and would rather be surrounded by cute kitchy Disney stuff! Hope you have a great trip, ive heard the rum whips are fantastic!!

I can always modify my reservation after booking right? My boyfriend's reaction to that hotel could make me change my mind down the road. I was thinking of walking to the hotel I don't stay at to see what it's like. The walk from any of the hotels will probably feel super close, but I do like how the Grand has that unique park entrance that you can't find at WDW. With the DLH deluxe view do you find the room is noisier because you're at a closer level to the pool? I had read about reviews from people who stayed facing DTD that said it was pretty noisy on the lower floors.

Yes, you can modify after booking but any special rate might not transfer.

We stayed at the GCH on our last trip, but had dinner at Steakhouse 55, so we got to stroll a bit of the DLH grounds on our way to and from.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Consider it a good problem to have!

PHXscuba

p.s. and the bunk beds are supposedly being taken out during the reno. Even if not, they are the extra bed in a room with a queen/king main bed.

PHXscuba

For the Grand Californian it mentions you could get bunk beds, they wouldn't give that to a room with only two people would they?
The bunk bed rooms are being phased out with the renovation (Which is supposed to be complete this fall I believe).

I have never stayed at either but we are going in October of next year and are planning on staying at DLH. Our main reasoning was that it had more of a Disney magic feel while GCH is more luxurious. We just aren't going to be in the room enough to care a ton about luxury and would rather be surrounded by cute kitchy Disney stuff! Hope you have a great trip, ive heard the rum whips are fantastic!!
It's funny because I want both luxury and lots of Disney stuff all around me. I'm definitely going to try the rum dole whips regardless of which hotel I pick.

Yes, you can modify after booking but any special rate might not transfer.

We stayed at the GCH on our last trip, but had dinner at Steakhouse 55, so we got to stroll a bit of the DLH grounds on our way to and from.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Consider it a good problem to have!

PHXscuba

p.s. and the bunk beds are supposedly being taken out during the reno. Even if not, they are the extra bed in a room with a queen/king main bed.

PHXscuba
It's definitely a good problem to have ::yes:: I was considering doing the Steakhouse 55 dinner so it would allow me to see both hotels that way if I pick Grand Californian. That's good to know that the bunk beds are going away. I really like having a king and if there are two queens I sometimes boot my boyfriend to the other, which would be impossible if the other bed was bunk beds.

The bunk bed rooms are being phased out with the renovation (Which is supposed to be complete this fall I believe).
Thanks! That's good to know. It seems odd to have them all grouped into the same booking category. I know at WDW there are two resorts that have them, but it's a separate category to get them.

The Grand Californian is ideally where we'd stay when we go back, it's gorgeous and very close to the parks. It has it's own entrance to CA park, we went through it at Christmas and it was amazing. That would be my first choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter