• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which HP movies?

Stinasmom

DIS Veteran
My friend is going to US/IOA in June... her 14 year old daughter has read some of the books but she (46) Husband (50) and other daughter (10) haven't.

Which 2-3 of the movies would be best to see to most understand the Gringotts ride, Forbidden Journey, and the theming in general? All 8 seems overwhelming...

Ok, by this question, you can tell I don't know a whole lot either...

Thanks for any advice!

M

They have time to read and watch them all :). They'll make a lot more sense if they don't skip.
If you made me choose, I'd choose 1, 3, 4 and 7. I was going to cut one but I just swapped one out.

Like others have said, you will definitely lose something by skipping some of the movies and may be a bit confused.

But if so, I recommend watching:

1 - introduces the main story as well asDiagon Alley, Hogwarts and Quiddich - a must see
3 - introduces Hogsmeade
4 - this is the time period that Hogsmeade Village in IOA is based in - the Spirit Rally and Dragon Challenge directly reference elements from this story
7/8 - you can't watch 8 without watching 7 as they are one story and the main story behind Escape from Gringott happens in 8

Watch them all. Seriously. The 4th movie is the weakest, but still good. Freeform channel has Harry Potter movie marathons every other weekend pretty much. Just do it :)

My friend is going to US/IOA in June... her 14 year old daughter has read some of the books but she (46) Husband (50) and other daughter (10) haven't.

Which 2-3 of the movies would be best to see to most understand the Gringotts ride, Forbidden Journey, and the theming in general? All 8 seems overwhelming...

When we visited in September 2015, neither my DD nor myself had seen any HP movies. I think my DD had read the first book. We really enjoyed Forbidden Journey and Gringotts, we also rode the Hogwarts Express. We were clueless, but the rides were still so much fun and well themed. So you don't have to see the movies to still enjoy the attractions!

For the next visit this past January, we did watch all 8 movies. Some were better than others, a lot of FJ is based on HP and the Chamber of Secrets. Then Gringotts is based on the Deathly Hallows (the last 2 movies) We are HP fans now for sure! We spent a lot more time in the HP areas this past trip too. BTW, for those that know, we were in the kitchen the other night and my husband said something about "that is ridiculous" my DD and I started swirling out fingers around and pointing..... "RID DIK KULUS"! DH and SIL though we were nuts!

I am a literature person and I say read the books. :)
The movies are good but I don't really watch them because I get angry when they change things around to fit into the movie. :)

The movies are good but I don't really watch them because I get angry when they change things around to fit into the movie. :)

I agree and have read the books and listenedd to the audio books MANY times. It's why I dislike the 4th movie so much.

The parks are based off the movies mostly, so if they can't read the books in time they can definitely get more out of it by watching them.

Yes, we have the rule that we read the book to our DD before she can see each movie - we will be finishing the final book by mid year, so perfect timing for an October visit for us!

I have read and reread the books so many times. But I love the movies too - I treat them as separate entities telling a story from different angles to get past the stuff that is left out or told differently, double the bang for your buck type thing. It helps.

I couldn't imagine skipping at all, especially since the last two are crucial to Gringotts and I would imagine if you skipped just around a little in the previous films, the last two would be awfully confusing. As there so much to previous films to understand elements of those films, as well as so much from the book that they didn't even manage to cover in the films itself. So therefore, I feel like watching those two would be pointless if you do not watch the rest of the series as it would be more confusing than enjoyable.

However, if you feel you, or them do not need to get the references to Gringotts (which is not a big deal as it's the only main thing that is connected to the last two films) I would say at least the first four films. As all of the shops and attractions that are connected to the parks have elements that were introduced, showcased, and talked about a lot more in these films. However, if you absolutely have to eliminate one of those options of the four to make it three, I would say the second film. However, I would still have to say definitely 1-4. As the park does definitely focus on the elements of all those first four films.

Yes, we have the rule that we read the book to our DD before she can see each movie - we will be finishing the final book by mid year, so perfect timing for an October visit for us!

I have read and reread the books so many times. But I love the movies too - I treat them as separate entities telling a story from different angles to get past the stuff that is left out or told differently, double the bang for your buck type thing. It helps.

Same rule here :) And my DD rereads the books every day! I ran out of books to buy including Quidditch through the ages, Fantastic Beasts and where to find them, Tales of Beedle and the Bard, etc. Wish more "textbook" ones would come out :)

I try with the movies- I really do, but I am a Shakespearean! so it's quite difficult at times to get past!

While true, the parks are based on the movies, not the books. Same with merchandise, which really only rears its ugly wrong-bird head when you identify as Ravenclaw (whose mascot is an EAGLE, and whose colors are blue and GOLD, in the books). :)

However, if you feel you, or them do not need to get the references to Gringotts (which is not a big deal as it's the only main thing that is connected to the last two films) I would say at least the first four films.

Yes.

The series is an excellent piece of literature.

With some really obnoxious plot holes, but those only become bothersome around 20 years after you start reading the books... ;)

I saw the first movie and it just wasn't for me. That said, I still can appreciate the HP areas in the park. I don't think any knowledge of HP is necessary, but none of it will hurt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter