Which is best to do first?

Tikitoi

DIS Veteran
We want to do GC and Vegas, but not sure which we should do first. Thinking of flying into Vegas (from NY state) then either driving or somehow (not sure of that either) getting to Grand Canyon and maybe staying a couple days? It seems better to save Vegas for last? :confused3 But at the same time nervous about Vegas at night with a 10 year old. I'm prepared to eat dinner every night while in Vegas at 5 and retire to the room (I think). Am I being too paranoid? Don't mean to offend any Vegas lovers, just want to take care of my dd. Anyway, I'm thinking fly into Vegas airport, get a rental car drive to GC then back to Vegas after a couple of days at GC. Any ideas? Thanks. :wizard:

Last February, we flew to Las Vegas (from R.I.) and the next day, we rented a car and drove to the Grand Canyon. The drive takes you over the Hoover Dam and takes about 4-5 hrs. from Vegas. We stayed at one of the Grand Canyon lodges (Maswik Lodge) and drove back to Vegas the next day and stayed in Vegas for a week. I think your plan sounds good. If we had children with us, we probably would've stayed two nights. There's just not a lot to do at night there but that may have been because it was February. I wouldn't worry too much about being out at night with a child in Vegas, especially if you stay at a hotel like MGM or NYNY. There's lots to do with children, even at night without ever leaving the hotel. There are also a lot of shows in Vegas that are appropriate for all ages that you and your daughter might enjoy at night. If you don't feel comfortable walking the strip at night, you could take a taxi, door to door. I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!!!!

I would rent a car to drive to GC. It is about 5-5 1/2 hour drive to the South Rim. Try to stay inside the park, or in Tusayan. Visit nps.gov for more information on the park.

As for Vegas, you do not have to lock yourself up in your room. Stay at MGM Grand or Mandalay Bay, both have great pools and are nice places. We will be at MGM in 4 days with our 12yo.

There is a lot for you and your kid to do at the MGM, plus NYNY & Excalibur are across the street.

I'll let you know how my trip was when I get back.

My sis and I just got back this past sunday night. We left June 10 from DC and flew into Las Vegas. We stayed at Treasure Island until Friday and then checked out and then drove to Grand Canyon for the day/night. Just a heads up that they are doing construction around the Hoover Dam, so it will take you 5 hours to make the drive to Grand Canyon...possibly more if you don't drive 85 like someone I know... :rolleyes1

We go to GC around 5 and stayed overnight. We stayed at El Tovar. SUCH a cute place. We weren't interested in doing hiking, camping or mule riding, we really just wanted to see it, so we left around 11 the next morning to head back and stayed the sat night in Vegas and flew home on Sunday.

Kimya

I would rent a car to drive to GC. It is about 5-5 1/2 hour drive to the South Rim. Try to stay inside the park, or in Tusayan. Visit nps.gov for more information on the park.

As for Vegas, you do not have to lock yourself up in your room. Stay at MGM Grand or Mandalay Bay, both have great pools and are nice places. We will be at MGM in 4 days with our 12yo.

There is a lot for you and your kid to do at the MGM, plus NYNY & Excalibur are across the street.

I'll let you know how my trip was when I get back.

I think we will do the GC part first. Haven't decided yet, but maybe for 2-3 days. Then onto Vegas! Thanks a lot. Looking very much forward to reading about your trip, have a great time. popcorn::

My sis and I just got back this past sunday night. We left June 10 from DC and flew into Las Vegas. We stayed at Treasure Island until Friday and then checked out and then drove to Grand Canyon for the day/night. Just a heads up that they are doing construction around the Hoover Dam, so it will take you 5 hours to make the drive to Grand Canyon...possibly more if you don't drive 85 like someone I know... :rolleyes1

We go to GC around 5 and stayed overnight. We stayed at El Tovar. SUCH a cute place. We weren't interested in doing hiking, camping or mule riding, we really just wanted to see it, so we left around 11 the next morning to head back and stayed the sat night in Vegas and flew home on Sunday.

Kimya

WOW, that's funny. But we definitely don't drive like that. We will be too afraid of missing our turn. I hope it's a straight route. :wizard:

WOW, that's funny. But we definitely don't drive like that. We will be too afraid of missing our turn. I hope it's a straight route. :wizard:

VERY straight....all straight, no civilization, no houses, no nothing! There are a couple stretches that are like 70 miles with NOTHING, no gas stations, so gas up before you go! Make sure you get gas in the little Boulder City area before getting to the Hoover Dam on your drive from Vegas. The worst stretch was from Hoover Dam to Kingman, AZ.

And make sure you stop and pee there too! :rolleyes1

Kimya

VERY straight....all straight, no civilization, no houses, no nothing! There are a couple stretches that are like 70 miles with NOTHING, no gas stations, so gas up before you go! Make sure you get gas in the little Boulder City area before getting to the Hoover Dam on your drive from Vegas. The worst stretch was from Hoover Dam to Kingman, AZ.

And make sure you stop and pee there too! :rolleyes1

Kimya

OMG, I will keep that in mind. NO CIVILIZATION! So we will definitely gas up as well as even have some food items with us. It's kind of exciting in a scary way. :eek: Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter