Which is better? EMM or Dessert Party

TheMick424

DIS Veteran
Our family would like to try one of these during our upcoming trip but cannot decide. Which one do you think is better and why? Hoping to get the most enjoyment for our money, understanding it isn’t an apples-to-apples comparison. For background there will be 4 of us (me, DH, DS 12 and DD 10). TIA!

Which EMM (MK/Fantasyland or DHS/Toy Story Land) and which dessert party (MK/Happily Ever After, Epcot/Illuminations, DHS/Star Wars, or AK/Rivers of Light)?

Or are you asking about all of them?

Which EMM (MK/Fantasyland or DHS/Toy Story Land) and which dessert party (MK/Happily Ever After, Epcot/Illuminations, DHS/Star Wars, or AK/Rivers of Light)?

Or are you asking about all of them?
I guess all of them except the AK/Rivers of Light Dessert Party (not interested in that one).

This is also part of my struggle, narrowing down within the categories.

My kids are the same ages. We’ve done the MK dessert party twice and really enjoyed it. However, they prefer the rides more than fireworks. Our upcoming trip in January, we are trying EMM at DHS so they can get their fill of Toy Story Land.

I would choose HEA dessert party (garden view) over MK EMM.

But we are a mother/daughter duo and my DD is in her 20’s. The rides offered for EMM aren’t worth the $$ for us but the view, the convenience of not having to deal with crowds to find a spot prior to the fireworks and the dessert over breakfast (were not big AM eaters) is worth it for us.

Can’t speak to DHS EMM/parties as we haven’t done those yet.

Just my .02

I personally think either EMM is more “bang for your buck” than a dessert party. If you are ride focused and don’t mind early mornings, then EMM is my vote. If you aren’t motivated by the rides, then it might not be ‘worth it’ from your perspective.

I’ve always been fond of the MK EMM (which has a format change starting 12/2). We did the DHS EMM a few weeks ago - and while it was a larger guest count - was an enjoyable morning and a great way to experience TSL is a in unique way.

I think I'd pick EMM over dessert party because being able to loop a ride like SDD or 7DMT is not happening unless you spend 45-90 minutes in between rides whereas you can take an extra hour and stake out a primo fireworks spot. Also i like that EMM comes with a real meal too.

I personally think either EMM is more “bang for your buck” than a dessert party. If you are ride focused and don’t mind early mornings, then EMM is my vote. If you aren’t motivated by the rides, then it might not be ‘worth it’ from your perspective.

I’ve always been fond of the MK EMM (which has a format change starting 12/2). We did the DHS EMM a few weeks ago - and while it was a larger guest count - was an enjoyable morning and a great way to experience TSL is a in unique way.

do you think the change in format is to enable them to increase the guest count there as well and do you think it will impact 7DMT wait times since most people are NOT doing it for the added rides?

The HEA DP was the highlight of our wedding trip. However, I hate being elbow to elbow with people watching fireworks and would have paid the amount I paid for the dessert party just to not be sharing my personal space with other people during the fireworks.

They are completely different things. Are you wanting to enjoy food and have a good view of a show? Then do a dessert party; however, some of the food at the dessert parties, particularly MK, is not that great. The goal of EMM is to ride rides. The food is just an added bonus. Also, you need to be sure that you can get to the park early enough for EMM. If you are driving, then getting the monorail or ferry from TTC early enough has been a problem before. We experienced once:(

When will you be there? That could affect which dessert party.

EMM. Walk-on rides are a rarity these days and especially non-existent for headliners. You can’t really replicate that experience without paying for the event. Plus, getting your fill of Mine Train, Peter Pan, etc. that early in the day frees up a ton of time for the rest of the park’s attractions later on.

Dessert parties are convenient, for sure, but you could arguably replicate that experience (for way less money) if you’re willing to stake out a viewing spot and sit there for a while with your own snacks (Worth noting: no one in my family is wild about overdoing it on desserts besides my 3-year-old, but we wouldn’t really allow him to, so the appeal of dessert parties is only the guaranteed fireworks viewing spot for us.)

Which one do you think is better and why? Hoping to get the most enjoyment for our money, understanding it isn’t an apples-to-apples comparison. For background there will be 4 of us (me, DH, DS 12 and DD 10)
Having done the HEA dessert party - unless you are going on an insanely busy day I don't think the event lives up to the cost- desserts are mediocre, viewing can be tough when you have a pretty packed garden area and everyone stands or people put kids on their shoulders.

We are going to do the frozen dessert party and the EMM magic at TS land at the end of the month. They are splurges because they are certainly expensive. We chose them because the Frozen dessert party seems more themed, you have a great viewing spot for Illuminations (everyone seated at their own table) and you get a ride on frozen -- So i feel that it is a 3 for 1 deal. EMM at TS land was a decision because we could not get FP for SDD, we have not actually ridden TSM and this essentially frees up FP for us to use at another park after the event. Plus we will have breakfast (maybe 2 hitting it a little something at the beginning and then our actual breakfast at 9:30 or so)

EMM for sure. You get to walk on some rides, and experience the park with extremely low crowds. You also get a nice breakfast and a head start to other rides in the park.

The dessert party is fine, but not worth the money compared to EMM.

Thanks for all the great feedback! I am always interested in hearing the experiences of others and what they have liked or disliked.

At first I was leaning towards the HEA Dessert Party because we have never seen the show, but then I started to question whether that was the right call given other options and reviews of the food. My husband would probably prefer one with alcohol included, but we’ve seen Illuminations and don’t know much about SWGS.

The early access to rides with EMM is definitely tempting. We haven’t been to WDW in a few years, and will be visiting the last week of Feb (arriving the Saturday of the Princess Half). On the flip side, I also don’t like the idea of camping out for an hour before a fireworks show just so I can see, but I suppose we could make it work.

Any thoughts on the value of the MK EMM after the change in December? I worry it will be more crowded and the breakfast definitely won’t be as conveniently located.

Wow, that's a tough one. With kids that age, I probably would not do MK EMM, but I guess it depends on the child. My DS11 would not be interested, at this age, in riding any of the Fantasyland rides multiple times, but, certainly if you were planning on riding them, it would be a quick, easy way to get almost all of Fantasyland done. IMHO, Cosmic Ray's is still convenient to the rides included in EMM as it's right by Winnie the Pooh and the teacups.

IMHO, the HEA Plaza Gardens fireworks party is excellent as you really get a great view of the castle projections and fireworks without the stress of the crowd. And the Frozen party in EP gets you on FEA without a FP+. I think I would ask your family what is most important and go from there. I, personally, would probably pick HEA plaza garden as my DS11 and DH will not stay in MK to watch fireworks without the convenience of the plaza garden viewing area.

With kids that age, I probably would not do MK EMM, but I guess it depends on the child. My DS11 would not be interested, at this age, in riding any of the Fantasyland rides multiple times, but, certainly if you were planning on riding them, it would be a quick, easy way to get almost all of Fantasyland done. IMHO, Cosmic Ray's is still convenient to the rides included in EMM as it's right by Winnie the Pooh and the teacups.

I agree, I think the only ride my kids would want to do more than once in Fantasyland is SDMT, and would probably do most of the others once (although probably not my DS12 who is too cool for school, and doesn't like princesses). My DD on the other hand...

Out of the EMM options, I think we'd choose HS just because Toy Story Land is new (plus they love TSM the most)

Last edited:
I agree, I think the only ride my kids would want to do more than once in Fantasyland is SDMT, and although would probably do most of the others once (although probably not my DS12 who is too cool for school, and doesn't like princesses). My DD on the other hand...

Out of the EMM options, I think we'd choose HS just because Toy Story Land is new (plus they love TSM the most)

LOL! Sounds like my DS11! DS11 really enjoyed TSL and SDD is now his favorite ride. He definitely would have ridden that over and over again if he had had the chance!

As someone who just returned and did both MK EMM and the Happily Ever After Dessert Party in the same trip, let’s talk about pros and cons of both:

EMM PROS: If you’re an early rising family, this is a no-brainer. Access to several popular MK rides (including 7DMT) in a very limited ticket event, plus breakfast included. With the the expanded offering of rides in December, you can cover a lot of ground early and devote your FastPass reservations to other rides. We were also able to basically walk on, or wait less than 15 minutes, for three rides between 9-10AM.

EMM CONS: It’s an early start. And if you’re not close (we stayed at Contemporary, so we walked), it’s even earlier to allow for transportation. We were worn down by 12:30PM and had to head back for rest. I would temper your afternoon plans and allow yourself some downtime.

DESSERT PARTY PROS: Having a reserved spot for Happily Ever After, especially during peak crowds or seasonal party months, is a true premium. The dessert party isn’t anything extravagant, but it allows you comfortable time off your feet before the party with snacks/drinks, and you can enter the garden when you wish. It’s a pretty unobstructed view of HEA.

DESSERT PARTY CONS: If you’re a large family, it’s a significant cost. For a family of five, you could legitimately spend another night at the resorts, or other entertainment options. (This is true with EMM, also.) If the castle projections are not a priority, there are several other places to view the fireworks at for no added cost and less hectic crowds.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter