Which is better I-75 through Atlanta or by-pass?

Yes! The middle lanes avoid people entering/exiting toll lanes, and exits.

Marietta is great. As others suggested, McDonough is through the city and Marietta is North.
There are several hotels right off the exit in Kennesaw (Exit 269, Barrett Parkway) as well, since there is a university there.
Thanks for the info! 👍🏻

I drove through Atlanta sticking to I75 on a Monday at 11am in October and it was reasonably smooth. Only a few small clusters here and there but no real problems. Driving home after that trip I decided to travel the coast and traffic from Savannah, Georgia onwards was horrendous. I will stick to I75 after that!!

BTW, are there any areas I should watch out for speeding? Any counties that are particularly strict?

I've never gotten a ticket cruising around 130km/h (from Windsor). Of course I just jinxed myself for my Christmas drive.

Here's something interesting: my buddy was in Chicago and got a ticket for expired plate stickers. He explained that ontario had done away with them but the officer didn't change their mind.

It wasn't a big fine but my buddy is contesting it. If that doesn't work he will send the bill to Ford.

Anyways he suggested removing the stickers from the plates. Mine is good till March '23 so I left mine on for now but will take them off after March.

I've never gotten a ticket cruising around 130km/h (from Windsor). Of course I just jinxed myself for my Christmas drive.

Here's something interesting: my buddy was in Chicago and got a ticket for expired plate stickers. He explained that ontario had done away with them but the officer didn't change their mind.

It wasn't a big fine but my buddy is contesting it. If that doesn't work he will send the bill to Ford.

Anyways he suggested removing the stickers from the plates. Mine is good till March '23 so I left mine on for now but will take them off after March.
You know that while the fees for new stickers are gone that you do in fact still need to keep your plate up to date!? lots of people have been fined for driving with "expired plates" They're not sending out reminders anymore either so it's completely on us to keep them up to date. Just a heads-up for anyone who might not be aware

Last edited:

You know that while the fees for new stickers are gone that you do in fact still need to get new ones?!? Just Google it, lots of people have been fined for driving with expired plates. They're not sending out reminders anymore either so it's completely on us to keep them up to date.
No, you do not need stickers (you can't even get new ones). You do, however, still need to renew your plates (for free).

I drove through Atlanta sticking to I75 on a Monday at 11am in October and it was reasonably smooth. Only a few small clusters here and there but no real problems. Driving home after that trip I decided to travel the coast and traffic from Savannah, Georgia onwards was horrendous. I will stick to I75 after that!!

BTW, are there any areas I should watch out for speeding? Any counties that are particularly strict?

Just drive slower than others on the freeway and you won't have to worry about getting a ticket.

Just drive slower than others on the freeway and you won't have to worry about getting a ticket.
Heehee - I am a terrible speeder.

I was just wondering because people talking about driving down on the other highways are full of warnings about some towns being so strict you cannot go one mile over the speed limit.

Always straight through i75 unless gps says theres a major accident. The HOV lane is amazing; not many people use it...maybe everyone using the exits. Blew right through last Sunday. Best day of the week.

Right now 285 is under construction and it's ugly but it just depends. Generally speaking Sunday morning isn't bad but it's Atlanta. It could be bad for no good reason or any reason...
Ah, ok. Maybe we'll just fly 😁

Any idea when the construction will be done on 285? We are looking at March 2024.

Ah, ok. Maybe we'll just fly 😁

Any idea when the construction will be done on 285? We are looking at March 2024.
That's actually not a bad idea. I used to live in Detroit as well as Orlando and made that trip down many times. I usually drove through Atlanta at 4AM to avoid the horrible traffic. But now that I'm a little older, I just can't take that long drive anymore and just head to the airport.

Always straight through i75 unless gps says theres a major accident. The HOV lane is amazing; not many people use it...maybe everyone using the exits. Blew right through last Sunday. Best day of the week.
I'm nervous about the HOV lanes because we find people go even faster on them. I'm not a big city driver. I'll go with the flow but if someone's tailgating me the whole time I'll avoid it altogether.

Atlanta resident here. 285 has construction all over so staying on 75/85 all the way through is usually your best bet. Its also not at all confusing where, 285 can be to those that are unfamiliar. Thats said set your GPS and let it do the hard work.

Bumping this thread....

Is I-75 or I-285 through Atlanta any less busy on a Sunday morning? 🤔

75 through town ‘should’ be fine but I always check Waze or Google Maps just in case something is up and it recommends one over the other. If ‘morning’ could be later morning check the Falcons schedule in case there’s a 1pm home game, but even then I’d probably opt through town. In technology I trust.

That's actually not a bad idea. I used to live in Detroit as well as Orlando and made that trip down many times. I usually drove through Atlanta at 4AM to avoid the horrible traffic. But now that I'm a little older, I just can't take that long drive anymore and just head to the airport.
We live near Windsor 👋🏻 and thought we were the only ones that couldn't handle the long drive down anymore! However we are flying virgins lol We always preferred taking our time driving. Flyings a whole other animal to deal with. Sigh.

We live near Windsor 👋🏻 and thought we were the only ones that couldn't handle the long drive down anymore! However we are flying virgins lol We always preferred taking our time driving. Flyings a whole other animal to deal with. Sigh.
I just drove through Canada recently heading back to Michigan and was thrilled to grab a couple Coffee Crisps. Windsor is such a nice town. I have so many fond memories of partying there when I turned 19.

No, that's a long drive and while it is more leisurely, you lose days when you have to stop overnight or you're dead tired if you drive straight through (I've done both). But honestly, flying isn't that bad. If you cross into Detroit and depart from the McNamara Terminal at DTW (which is gorgeous), there are several flights that go to Orlando from Detroit every day and are nonstop. While MCO is a bit hectic, I've been through much worse airports (Frankfurt is insane). If you are worried about the drive or the traffic, I'd seriously consider giving flying a try.

I just drove through Canada recently heading back to Michigan and was thrilled to grab a couple Coffee Crisps. Windsor is such a nice town. I have so many fond memories of partying there when I turned 19.

No, that's a long drive and while it is more leisurely, you lose days when you have to stop overnight or you're dead tired if you drive straight through (I've done both). But honestly, flying isn't that bad. If you cross into Detroit and depart from the McNamara Terminal at DTW (which is gorgeous), there are several flights that go to Orlando from Detroit every day and are nonstop. While MCO is a bit hectic, I've been through much worse airports (Frankfurt is insane). If you are worried about the drive or the traffic, I'd seriously consider giving flying a try.
Most if not all of our friends fly out of Detroit. We're kicking ourselves now for not experiencing flying when we were younger and in better health. I'm seriously considering it but DH isn't too thrilled about it, which is why I posted this thread. If it were up to him we wouldn't be going anywhere, driving or flying but some of us still need a change of scenery once in awhile. 🤷‍♀️

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I really do appreciate it!

Most if not all of our friends fly out of Detroit. We're kicking ourselves now for not experiencing flying when we were younger and in better health. I'm seriously considering it but DH isn't too thrilled about it, which is why I posted this thread. If it were up to him we wouldn't be going anywhere, driving or flying but some of us still need a change of scenery once in awhile. 🤷‍♀️

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I really do appreciate it!
Well, however you get there, I hope you all have a nice time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter