Which is better, mid-Jan or Feb 2020?

NikkiDP

DIS Veteran
I know it hasn't been announced for 2020 yet, but keeping a positive mind DH and I are considering a trip to be able to experience the Festival of the Arts! We haven't been yet and it is something I have been dying to do since it debuted. We have been to Disney but this would be the first time we planned a trip that is under a year away so I'm trying to gather as much information as I can!

I know that last year it ran from mid January to late February, but is there a benefit to going early vs. late in the run? I'm a huge fan of Broadway anything so I won't be planning around seeing specific performers and most likely won't plan around specific demonstrations, but this will be our first time going during this time of year so need a little advice.

The last time we were in World in January it was amazing! We were there for 4 days in 2016 right around the middle of the month and the crowds were fantastic. I know that this year January saw heavier crowds, but did it affect how crowded Epcot felt? January is cheaper so that would be best but if February is necessary, is President's Day the only thing I have to keep in mind?

There is a lot of rambling and random questions in this post, but I appreciate any and all advise!

Last edited:
In 2018 I went in January to DHS and it was phenomenal. I know since Epcot has a festival going on it will be more crowded but I just in general enjoy being there in January, the weather is nice and the crowds are light. (Staying clear of the new years and MLK day crowds though!). I think going earlier would be better, but that's just personal opinion! I hope you enjoy your trip!

In 2018 I went in January to DHS and it was phenomenal. I know since Epcot has a festival going on it will be more crowded but I just in general enjoy being there in January, the weather is nice and the crowds are light. (Staying clear of the new years and MLK day crowds though!). I think going earlier would be better, but that's just personal opinion! I hope you enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the advise! I am hoping that The Festival of the Arts will be extended a bit this year which would make going in the beginning of January potentially possible but we will see how far a wish gets me haha

January is our favorite month to visit due to weather and crowds, and low DVC points costs don’t hurt either. Marathon weekend increases resort occupancy but not so much park crowds whereas MLK week can increase park crowds, so we aim for the last ten to fourteen days of the month. Love the Festival of the Arts!

January is our favorite month to visit due to weather and crowds, and low DVC points costs don’t hurt either. Marathon weekend increases resort occupancy but not so much park crowds whereas MLK week can increase park crowds, so we aim for the last ten to fourteen days of the month. Love the Festival of the Arts!

Last 10-14 days would probably be where we would fall too! The low DVC points is a big proponent of why we were considering January in the first place. I'm hoping that once 2020 ticket prices come out (hopefully next month) that the festival will be announced shortly after. IDK if my husband has this plan but I plan on booking a room within the next month and modifying as necessary :upsidedow

Last 10-14 days would probably be where we would fall too! The low DVC points is a big proponent of why we were considering January in the first place. I'm hoping that once 2020 ticket prices come out (hopefully next month) that the festival will be announced shortly after. IDK if my husband has this plan but I plan on booking a room within the next month and modifying as necessary :upsidedow

Given the way the Festival expanded this year (longer, concerts not limited to weekends, etc.) I’m confident that it will be going on those last two weeks of January and into February. We’re booked to arrive January 26!

I think it really will make some difference when the second Star Wars ride opens as to how close that is to January or February.
In January, avoid the marathon weekends 1/8-1/12.

The low DVC points is a big proponent of why we were considering January in the first place.

FYI Whether you’re a DVC member or planning to rent points, I’d book ASAP, before the 7-month window opens, for best choice of accommodations especially if you plan on a studio and/or a near-Epcot resort (BWV, BCV or Riviera). I expect SWGE to increase demand for DVC bookings for 2020 (and for the other Disney resorts too).

FYI Whether you’re a DVC member or planning to rent points, I’d book ASAP, before the 7-month window opens, for best choice of accommodations especially if you plan on a studio and/or a near-Epcot resort (BWV, BCV or Riviera). I expect SWGE to increase demand for DVC bookings for 2020 (and for the other Disney resorts too).

Thanks! We are closing on our contract Monday so I am chomping at the bit to have access to the website lol. I am willing to waitlist or scrounge together days if need be but I'm hoping that we will be able to get at least a long weekend booked before the 7-month window to be safe.

Given the way the Festival expanded this year (longer, concerts not limited to weekends, etc.) I’m confident that it will be going on those last two weeks of January and into February. We’re booked to arrive January 26!

I have the same confidence so hopefully we are right! Enjoy your trip and your planning!

Currently the free info on undercover tourist is saying the very best dates to visit in January - February 2020 are:

Jan 6-9, Jan 13-16, Jan 27-Feb 13, Feb 25-Mar6. - not sure I agree with the last dates.

I have personally visited the last 4 days of Feb. and it was great. Weather was perfect, crowd levels decent. I'd go again at that time if I could.

I'd avoid Mardi Gras week which is Feb 25 next year I believe, Race Weekend which is Feb 20-23 and Presidents Day week.

Currently the free info on undercover tourist is saying the very best dates to visit in January - February 2020 are:

Jan 6-9, Jan 13-16, Jan 27-Feb 13, Feb 25-Mar6. - not sure I agree with the last dates.

I have personally visited the last 4 days of Feb. and it was great. Weather was perfect, crowd levels decent. I'd go again at that time if I could.

I'd avoid Mardi Gras week which is Feb 25 next year I believe, Race Weekend which is Feb 20-23 and Presidents Day week.

Awesome, thanks! I guess we will have to see how those alter once Galaxy's Edge opens. I'm trying not to worry too much about that since it will draw crowds no matter what time of year it is so oh well lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter