• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which is more accessible

Please tell me that with all the disability advancements that having to transfer isn’t necessary still, to disembark and enjoy the ports of call.

Last I knew, @Stitch'sCousin is correct about the DCL Caribbean itineraries. Generally speaking (for 7-night cruises) the Western has 4 port stops, with Grand Cayman requiring tender; the Eastern has 3 port stops and an extra day at sea. That extra day at sea will have more onboard activities planned than a port day that you opt not to go ashore. However, if you are interesting in going ashore in any of those ports, I recommend you check the excursion descriptions because there may not be accessible transportation or even pathways for someone who cannot transfer.

Please tell me that with all the disability advancements that having to transfer isn’t necessary still, to disembark and enjoy the ports of call.
The US enjoys quite a bit more accessibility than some of these Caribbean nations. In many, the port area is old and may have cobblestones or lack basics such as curb cuts and ramps at many locations.

Georgetown, GC has a huge reef that rings the wharf area, which precludes docking for deep draft vessels and necessitates tendering. The tenders will (most likely) support the transfer of a person on an EV, but as was pointed out by @lanejudy, the getting around town is more troublesome on any of the stops - either EC or WC. The Havensight area on St. Thomas is do-able, but out in town for the other ports (St. Maarten/Phillipsburg, Charlotte Amelie, Cozumel, Georgetown/GC, & Falmouth/Jamaica) the streets & sidewalks will be challenging based on my recollections

I just booked Dec. 2-9, 2022 out of Galveston, TX on the Magic. I was very disappointed to see there are no excursions me and my baby, Sarabi Pride. (She is a motorized EVC. I have mobility issues.) I don't like to break her down. I just roll and park her. Any suggestions on getting around in ports in Cozumel, Grand Cayman & Falmouth? :thanks:

I would also point out that even excursion vehicles for those involving a drive are often not handicapped ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter