• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which is worse: crowds level 10 — or — heat and humidity at peak temps?

Which is worse: crowds level 10 — or — heat and humidity at peak temps?

• Avoid Heat, go to WDW when crowds are high

• Avoid Crowds, go to WDW when temps are high

Results are only viewable after voting.

youknowscott

WDW fan father of four with a Fantastic wife!
We’re trying to decide whether to go this month for a fun week in WDW... or wait and go December 27 - Jan 4. What would you do?

These are the two times of year we've gone most often...summer and Xmas. Which we'd do is purely subjective. The heat isn't that bad if you know how to handle it, for example don't do Tomorrowland Speedway in the middle of a sunny July afternoon. The Xmas to NYE crowd is fine if you've got a pleasant attitude and don't expect to get on every ride without a wait (or get endless FP+ for anything you want).

If I had to pick one, I'd probably say summer. It can get cold at Xmas and a cold WDW is not fun, IMO. We were there for Xmas to NYE this past year and a few nights it was chilly, and damp. We were freezing. Didn't enjoy that at all.

We have done trips all year around but the last time we were there in the summer, I decided it would probably be our last. No point of our afternoon rest time and showers because as soon as we stepped back outside to go to the park, we were drenched in sweat.

I would much rather be in cold (and dress for the weather) and have more energy than the sweltering, tiring heat and worry about thunderstorms.

If you have a good game plan, you can deal with the crowds.

That's my opinion! :teeth:

Btw, we went one year at Xmas week and it was warmer than when we went a few months later during spring break. You never know how it will be except during the summer months, of course - HOT!! HOT!! HOT!!

I'd wait just so I could plan more... but if I was just choosing based on crowds vs. heat, I can actually cope with heat better than crowds. It's a subjective thing though. Now if you asked for just time of year (and not NYE territory), I'd rather go in the fall, winter, or early spring.

I'd also probably wait until I could plan for both lower crowds and temperatures, but if those were my only options I'd go with the 10 crowd level and lower temps. But I personally can't take the heat. It makes me feel ill pretty quickly when it's humid at high temps. It's also not usually a crowd level of 10 in all parks on any given day. Our December trip in 2016 we had a level 9 on our MK day and I remember thinking wow, I'd never do this again, but all in all we still had a good time and did most of what we wanted to do. But I'd manage that again to go when the weather is nicer.

As I get older, I'm finding that while I can deal with heat just fine, the humidity just about does me in...I get cranky and nauseous and weak, regardless of the steps I take to mitigate it. Those aren't things I enjoy anytime, and especially when I'm on vacation, so I'd rather deal with a crowd-level of 10.

You can't fix crowds, but you can adjust for the heat.

I would choose heat over crowds any day. Get to park early, take a break in afternoon, stay up late in the parks when they are cooler and look great.

Dan

Lol, see I usually feel the exact opposite, but again it depends on the person. We went to Dutch Wonderland a couple summers ago and it was 90s and humid. I never would have chosen to go to an amusement park in that weather but it was preplanned and wasn't supposed to get that hot. I used frog togs and drank lots of liquid, took breaks and stayed in the shade. Had lunch in the car with AC because there was no indoor dining, and just hung out and watched the kids play in the water after lunch. By mid-afternoon I still had symptoms of heat stroke and was sick for the next 48 hours. Since then I don't even bother trying to manage anything outdoors when it gets that hot.

But if you are someone who can manage the heat well, lower crowds are nice. When crowds are big we eat at off peak times and make other adjustments to our day to manage.

I wanted to add something - it depends on whether you are a ride, ride, ride person or a cruise through the parks people-watching person. I can ride more rides on a single day the week after Labor Day, even with the shorter hours, than I can ride in a full week during spring break. But as I get older the rides become less important to me, so crowds are not as much a problem - to a point.

We have done both, but Christmas is still our favorite time of year to go to the parks. The crowds are manageable if you plan right and the heat is manageable if you plan right. 2017 was the first time in five years at Christmas where we were actually cold ...and even then it wasn't until after the 25th when it got cold. Previous years the weather was wonderful ... even leaning more towards hot that cold ... like days in the 80s and 90s. Both times of year we schedule table service meals as good breaks ... gets you away from the crowds or the heat for an hour or so.

We were always early September Disney folks, but the last trip nearly killed us with the humidity. We can handle the heat part; we live in Texas :-) but combined with the humidity, it was just too much. I would much rather have to wear a jacket and deal with some crowds than melt and feel sick all day long.

Heat and crowds are equally horrible! But, I'm a planner, so I'd wait and go in December.

There are times when it’s not hot and it’s also not super crowded. We go after thanksgiving and it’s great, but getting more crowded like every other time of year. That being said, I’d take crowds over heat any day. You can plan around crowds, not much you can do for heat, but suffer and be miserable.

Heat for sure. It was 40 degrees last January in Orlando. We were the only ones rushing for Splash Mountain. Everyone else was wearing stocking caps

If you are a good planner and don't mind to stick to a schedule, I would go in December. We have been both times. The last time we went for a week in the summer, I swore it would be the last. I couldn't take so many sweaty strangers so close to me. Too many people grumpy and stinky...including my own family and myself...:D

This last year I have been in high heat/fair crowds (august/june) heat and crowds (October) nice temps/mod-high crowds (thanksgiving) and FREEZING/crowds (NYE-although NYE day itself wasn't bad it was literally freezing and drizzly rest of week), gorgeous weather and moderate crowds (hit a sweet spot in March between Spring break crowds).

If I had to pick one, I'd probably say summer. It can get cold at Xmas and a cold WDW is not fun, IMO. We were there for Xmas to NYE this past year and a few nights it was chilly, and damp. We were freezing. Didn't enjoy that at all.
Cold and crowds-no stinkin way. After freezing tootsies off NY week I vowed to never complain about heat again. Actually didn't find Thanksgiving week to be too bad, but we only did 1/2 day parks and stayed offsite at a gorgeous resort where pools etc were uncrowded. It is far easier to find ways to cool down at WDW than warm up!

If I had to pick - early May-after spring break, before heat and crowds would be the best time to go!

Definitely Dec. Summer is disgustingly hot. It sucks the energy and joy right out of you. Everyone is shuffling around like zombies. I love the cooler temps for park touring. Plus, this summer is NOT going to be slow. The new TS land is having people flock to Disney this summer.

Last time we went in summer we were crammed on the train with everyone. Everyone was hot and sweaty and smelly. It was so gross. One guy held up his arms to air out his pits and everyone behind him was treated to a vile odor. Blech.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter