Which is worse: crowds level 10 — or — heat and humidity at peak temps?

Which is worse: crowds level 10 — or — heat and humidity at peak temps?

• Avoid Heat, go to WDW when crowds are high

• Avoid Crowds, go to WDW when temps are high

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know with school it is really hard but if you can ever do it try first week or two of December. Not overly crowded and the weather is usually decent. Christmas time at Disney is something extremely special.
I wish I could. I'm a teacher and would only have weekends to go. If flights magically became cheaper, I'd definitely go for just a weekend! I'm sure at some point we'll suck it up and go down around Christmas. I'm dying to see the decorations in person!!

I wish I could. I'm a teacher and would only have weekends to go. If flights magically became cheaper, I'd definitely go for just a weekend! I'm sure at some point we'll suck it up and go down around Christmas. I'm dying to see the decorations in person!!

We went one year for New Years Eve and it was so crazy that day but still very magical. We found the week after to be really nice and crowds start to get lower as the week goes on. Most of the Christmas stuff is still up. Maybe your schedule could work out during that time.

I despise the heat.

But give me hot and better crowds anytime!

You haven’t lived misery until you’ve been cold and wet in a packed MK. At least wet in August feels refreshing(ish).

It was freezing this past December at Disney World and it was the best time I have ever been there. I will take the cold minus the rain please :)

We’ve been during busy times that had beautiful weather. It was great! We went during busy time and froze our butts off. It was still great! My daughter and I don’t handle cold weather well. We had the sniffles and coughs when we left.

We are doing Labor Day thanks to great prices this year. If it comes with less crowds then even better. We’ve always gone when it’s busy. Wouldn’t mind a change from that. It’s our last chance at this mysterious “low crowd time,” so we are trying it. We have no intention of staying in the parks all day. I’m just glad we don’t need an extra suitcase full of layers. Tank tops take up less space. :)

We’re trying to decide whether to go this month for a fun week in WDW... or wait and go December 27 - Jan 4. What would you do?
I moved to Georgia 2 years ago. I thought I was prepared and could handle the heat and humidity...I was wrong. It just wears me down. It would be unbearable for me to go to DW in even worse heat and humidity. I wouldn't enjoy my vacation at all. I'd go in December.

If I went during the heat (which I voted for), I’d plan to visit the parks at night. During the day you could swim, do indoor stuff, etc. It’s still hot at night but staying out of the sun makes a big difference.

I ageee with those who suggested it depends on your family and how you handle the heat. I’d take heat over crowds any time. However, I wouldn’t consider July low crowds. End of August is great if you can deal with the heat. Most schools in the south are back in session so the crowd levels are bad at all.

Crowds without heat, humidity, and rain. You get crowds in the summer too.

Read the Theme park closure information under the refurbishment link on the home page for full capacity rules. There are exceptions to entrance, like dining reservations. Worth reading if planning to go at Christmas. Didn't DL have major problems last year at this time?

It is worth noting some pool closures when you are selecting which resort rooms for your stay also.

Last edited:
Or those your only two choices?

Can you go Thanksgiving week. It’s usually great weather (no guarantees) and while it is crowded it’s not Christmas week crowded. It’s our favorite week to go.

Gone many times in the heat and once in December. I found December temps so pleasant that even though it was a lot more crowded, it was easier to deal with the crowds. I get irritated much faster in the heat.

I would remember taking a look at each person in your group when making this decision.

We once went in Aug and my niece warned us that she can’t do heat but we were sure ‘we’d be at Disney and she’d be just st fine!’

Well she wasn’t and it almost ruined the trip for all of us. In the end she chose to stay back at the room the last couple of days while the rest of us went to the parks and we were all happier.

I learned my lesson that trip that just because my dd and I can handle the heat, not all can.

This scenario can be flipped on its head and be looked at from all personalities being able to handle crowds too.

So my suggestion when planning is to consider all personalities who will be in your travel party if heat or crowds cannot be avoided.

I prefer lower crowds and would usually tolerate the heat, but two years ago it was so hot one day in September (I think the real feel temp was 118) that my eyelash extensions melted off one of my eyes, which I didn’t even know was possible.

So just keep that in mind...it gets insanely hot lol

And too when you are in the parks you are on concrete. The heat in general seems so much hotter on that concrete. For some it doesn’t bother them, I can’t take it.

If you can do just mornings and nights, it may be fine. I know when we went in the summer, once that sun went down my energy level would bounce back up—well that and an icy coffee drink with an extra shot of espresso! Lol.

We found the heat a few weeks ago not too bad! Crowds were okay too. Plans helped. I would not go st Xmas though. Crowds like that would make me feel claustrophobic.

In this theoretical survey I say crowds are worse than heat and humidity. You can escape the heat and Humidity by going inside someplace its cooler, but you CANNOT escape the crowds; crowds imply folks are everywhere, inside and out.

This survey is of course theoretical because its always crowded in WDW. In reality, crowds being a constant, I do prefer the cooler days at WDW.

It depends on what you're used to. We go twice a year......at the end of August and Christmas week.

The August heat and humidity can actually make it feel way more crowded than it actually is. Christmas week is more crowded, but the crowds don't bother me because the weather is so pleasant.

I couldn't vote!

Why choose? You can go July 3-5 (like we just did) and have both!!!

The bigger issue in the summer is the rain. Florida can thunderstorm any afternoon and when it does, you lose three mountains, adding to the crowds and frustrations. You can lose Splash — or at least the enjoyment of it — to the cold, but it doesn’t rain as consistently.

All that said, I’d choose heat over crowds. People can be very annoying.

We’re trying to decide whether to go this month for a fun week in WDW... or wait and go December 27 - Jan 4. What would you do?
Purely the planner in me would vote December, plus you would get to see all the holiday decorations. It is really late for planning ADR and FP so if you really just want to go and wing it the go for it.

The first trip i planned was for NYE -- it was busy, but manageable with a good solid plan. I would say that the hot weather will get to you more so than the crowds-- try it at home and see how you feel walking around town for 8-10 hours in the heat and humidity.

It also depends on your traveling party- adults can handle the heat a little better than little ones. Wouldn't take much for little ones to get heat exhaustion and ruin a vacation.

My husband was just telling me about a FL trip his family took in July when he was a kid -he distinctly remembers just standing in the heat, humidity and sun and was watching the sweat bead up on the back of his hand -- just standing there doing nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter