• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which moderate?

magicalfoursome

DIS Veteran
Planning a quick 2 night mom/daughter trip the end of September. Going to MNNSHP for my daughter’s 29th birthday. We have been spoiled in the past and usually rent DVC and stay deluxe. This time we we are planning to stay at a moderate. I have stayed at CBR (1990- yes, forever ago) and POFQ in the 2000’s. I enjoyed both. Trying to decide between either one of these or tower at Coronado Springs. Our plan is to go to Epcot the first day, and the second day go to animal kingdom in the morning, and then the Halloween party at Magic Kingdom later in the afternoon. Thanks!

My favorite mod is Grand Destino but it is not very convenient to get to the parks.
Have you looked into renting again for your dates? The new resort studios over at the grand usually have some availability and would come in right around the same cost as a mod after taxes.

If you're deluxe people I definitely recommend at Gran Destino. As a deluxe person myself I love it for short weekend stays, it's actually very centrally located on property close to Epcot and HS. I love it for short weekend stays especially. On site dining is better than the other two put together. There's insane discounts there right now in Sept too. That said have you considered Swan/Dolphin? They are usually around the same price point and you'll be able to walk to Epcot.

My favorite mod is Grand Destino but it is not very convenient to get to the parks.
Have you looked into renting again for your dates? The new resort studios over at the grand usually have some availability and would come in right around the same cost as a mod after taxes.
I thought about it but am unsure due to it being September. We just missed the hurricane last year by less than a week. I am afraid to lose my money. top choice would be the 2 person tower room in Riveria. We have not stayed there yet. But the grand would be amazing too!

If you're deluxe people I definitely recommend at Gran Destino. As a deluxe person myself I love it for short weekend stays, it's actually very centrally located on property close to Epcot and HS. I love it for short weekend stays especially. On site dining is better than the other two put together. There's insane discounts there right now in Sept too. That said have you considered Swan/Dolphin? They are usually around the same price point and you'll be able to walk to Epcot.
Thanks! Grand Destino is where I’ve been leaning towards. I will have to look at Swan and Dolphin. We have stayed at BWV and love that area.

Last edited:
While there are lots of positives for all of those resorts, my choice would be CBR. We also usually rent DVC and stay deluxe, and for us the biggest draw to the deluxe resorts is convenience of transportation. We stayed at CBR years ago (pre-skyliner) and at the time the bus system was soooo slow with all the stops on the resort. I'm sure the bus system is still the same, but the skyliner means you have non-bus transportation to two resorts, as well as the convenience of walking to Riviera for dining, etc. My choice might change if I was planning a trip that was more Disney Springs heavy, in which case POFQ would be my choice.

As nice as Coronado looks, I am completely uninterested in being entirely dependent on the bus system.

I thought about it but am unsure due to it being September. We just missed the hurricane last year by less than a week. I am afraid to lose my money. top choice would be the 2 person tower room in Riveria. We have not stayed there yet. But the grand would be amazing too!
Very good point. Disney will give you a refund up until the day of your reservation if a hurricane is due to hit where a dvc rental probably wouldn’t.

While there are lots of positives for all of those resorts, my choice would be CBR. We also usually rent DVC and stay deluxe, and for us the biggest draw to the deluxe resorts is convenience of transportation. We stayed at CBR years ago (pre-skyliner) and at the time the bus system was soooo slow with all the stops on the resort. I'm sure the bus system is still the same, but the skyliner means you have non-bus transportation to two resorts, as well as the convenience of walking to Riviera for dining, etc. My choice might change if I was planning a trip that was more Disney Springs heavy, in which case POFQ would be my choice.

As nice as Coronado looks, I am completely uninterested in being entirely dependent on the bus system.
The Skyliner is the main reason I am considering CBR. No time for HS this trip so would only use for EPCOT. Buses are really not the best!

I'd go with GDT based on your park choices and length of your trip. Having the skyliner at CBR is nice but it only gets you to Epcot so you'll be bussing to MK and AK anyway. POFQ is nice but if I'm picking GDT when all else is equal like price, transportation. You guys can enjoy three bridges bar and grill and have a nice, fresh room in a deluxe feeling resort. Not have to walk outside to get to your room is a plus too. The buses can be a challenge since it's the last stop but if you're not in a huge rush to get any where, it's not a big deal.

CSR Tower is not as much of a step down from deluxe as the other two hotels are.

French Quarter is still a hidden gem though.

I'd ask myself "Do I want a nicer room that's not in a motel style building and has more of a deluxe feel with more restaurants to choose from although it's on a very large property, or do I want a quaint, quiet, charming property that's super easy to navigate and has very clean but more basic rooms and food?"

Or, if trying something different that I've never experienced before was the priority it would be CSR.

CSR Tower is not as much of a step down from deluxe as the other two hotels are.

French Quarter is still a hidden gem though.

I'd ask myself "Do I want a nicer room that's not in a motel style building and has more of a deluxe feel with more restaurants to choose from although it's on a very large property, or do I want a quaint, quiet, charming property that's super easy to navigate and has very clean but more basic rooms and food?"

Or, if trying something different that I've never experienced before was the priority it would be CSR.
Exactly! I really like the tower is not a motel type building but I also like that POFQ is smaller and easier to navigate. Would love to go to Three Bridges Bar and Grill but also would love to eat Mickey beignets. It’s only 2 nights so thinking of trying CSR. The tower looks beautiful and I think being inside a resort is more important to me.

Coronado has the shortest average trip times to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter