Which non-Brown Derby restaurant at DHS or close to it?

tuckymom

Mouseketeer
Looking more and more likely we are going on our planned trip in October.

We never eat at HS. We normally have Park Hopper+ and do 2 half days at HS but don't eat there. We prefer restaurants at Epcot or go to HS at night after an early supper.

So now that HS is one park day, where would you pick to eat (Brown Derby isn't great for toddlers so we are skipping that).

TBH all the food at HS is pretty mediocre. If you need a TS 50’s Prime Time and Sci-fi are fun but the food is hit or miss. If you aren’t set on a TS You could do Ronto Roasters for QS. I’ve heard some things at Woody’s Lunchbox are good too.

That being said, I wouldn’t hesitate to take a toddler to Brown Derby if you like it! IMO almost every restaurant at Disney is kid friendly (obviously within reason). We ate there with my 4 year old nephew and it was great!

I would choose Brown Derby (even with a toddler!) or Mama Melrose (we were very pleasantly surprised by the food). Sci Fi is my favorite for atmosphere, but the food is nothing spectacular. It's not bad, it's just kind of basic. Some of the salads are interesting though, the burgers are decent, and we like the fried pickles. For a toddler, it might be hard to manage seating in the cars though. I do not like the food at 50s Prime Time. At all. I think the antics from the servers is fun, but it can get chaotic in there when it's busy.

Quick service at DHS is not great, but Min and Bill's Dockside Diner has decent nachos (sometimes they are only open seasonally - I don't know everything that is opening up there to start). The Totchos at Woody's Lunchbox are good. I have not tried anything but the blue and green milk in Batuu, so I don't have any opinions on the food offered at any of the places there.

No, Hollywood Studios is not known for it's food, but it IS getting better in my opinion, and with new restrictions on hopping, you can definitely find something good.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Agreed that DHS is not the best in terms of dining. Brown Derby has the best food, but if that’s out, I would pick 50s Prime Time. The food is pretty good and the service is fun. Nothing at the Sci Fi Drive in stands out to me other than the milkshakes.

I would choose Brown Derby (even with a toddler!) or Mama Melrose (we were very pleasantly surprised by the food). Sci Fi is my favorite for atmosphere, but the food is nothing spectacular. It's not bad, it's just kind of basic. Some of the salads are interesting though, the burgers are decent, and we like the fried pickles. For a toddler, it might be hard to manage seating in the cars though. I do not like the food at 50s Prime Time. At all. I think the antics from the servers is fun, but it can get chaotic in there when it's busy.

Quick service at DHS is not great, but Min and Bill's Dockside Diner has decent nachos (sometimes they are only open seasonally - I don't know everything that is opening up there to start). The Totchos at Woody's Lunchbox are good. I have not tried anything but the blue and green milk in Batuu, so I don't have any opinions on the food offered at any of the places there.

No, Hollywood Studios is not known for it's food, but it IS getting better in my opinion, and with new restrictions on hopping, you can definitely find something good.

Good luck and have fun!!!
When we we went at the end of Jan, the fried pickles were off the menu 😔 It’s still a fun place though. That was the only food item I ever found notable there.

For the most part we are QS people and had a nice, relaxing, late supper at The Backlot Express and had a nice meal with a frozen Daquri.

Mama Melrose’s is usually a must-do on each trip. When we went last November and were on the dining plan, It was our favorite meal (aside from Narcoosee’s which is signature dining). I’m not a fan of Sci-Fi, and 50’s is hit or miss. We are also going in October and I plan on booking Mama Melrose’s... I am, however, disappointed with how much they’ve cut their menu down for reopening. I’m hoping it will eventually go back to normal so I can have my saltimbocca pork tenderloin!!!

There is a bakery there that sells sandwiches so we just picked up sandwiches, found an outdoor table and ate our lunch. We left before our dinner reservation at Flying Fish which was 7:30 pm

We enjoyed Docking Bay 7, enough we went back twice. Mobile order is the way to go if it's busy.
Agreed! If your heart isn't set on table service, DB7 has a certain charm and I've enjoyed everything I've ordered there. I'm seriously wondering if I actually want to book a TS on my DHS day in September or if I'm going to give in and just eat at DB7 for both breakfast and lunch in the same day like I did this past January.

Notes on other quick service: last I'd heard, Woody's Lunchbox isn't reopening yet. Plus I was turned off by the outdoor-only seating; I mobile ordered a dessert there and really liked it but if you're looking for a midday break to cool off that's not going to do it. Ditto Ronto Roasters for seating.

HBD is our favorite.
If you don't want to eat there, I would agree with those suggesting Mama Melrose. Not amazing, but never had a bad meal there.
Have yet to find a good QS meal there, but have not tried the options at Galaxies Edge.

So now that HS is one park day, where would you pick to eat

Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, Yatchclub

haha sorry am I forgetting a place?

If I had to eat in HS at a sit down I would do Sci-Fi because of the theme and there is no other place I would eat (yes over Brown Derby).

Tons of food in the Epcot area hotels. I would go beaches and cream compared to most of the restaurants in DHS. Its a quick boat ride, you get some AC and ice cream.

With a toddler - either stick to Brown Derby as toddlers are welcome nearly everywhere at WDW - or maybe Mama Melrose.

Mama Melrose is your average Italian place. Service, in my experience, has been timely, food average to above average, doesn't feel too formal if your toddler is noisy or wiggly/moving around a bit (its popular with families), and probably has something on the menu the kid will eat.

I like Sci-Fi and I have had great food there - but I think the dark environment and the cars don't make it ideal for the under 4 crowd. Prime-Time - meh food, spotty service. I like Docking Bay 7 - but I don't know how seating is working there with social distancing - I think the tables with just stools could be bad with a toddler. H&V (is that even open?) - just crap food. The other QS food at HS is just all ick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter