• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which of these Disney resorts is best for a 5 yr old and toddler?

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
Swan
Dolphin
Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs
Port Orleans Riverside

Those are all my options for a trip in late February. I will have a double stroller and am leaning toward skyliner hotels or Swan/Dolphin because I haaaate buses with a double stroller.

Also I know MK is best for that age but it's not my favorite. We'll book a monorail resort when it's safe to do another nonrefundable booking with DVC Rental Store.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

We stayed at Dolphin a few years ago with a double stroller. Loved, loved, loved walking to Epcot and DHS.

The kids loved their playground.

We have stayed at POR but that was before strollers.

Dolphin had muliple, large elevators which made getting to our room easy. We did a split stay at Poly and man those elevators are tiny.

Swan
Dolphin
Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs
Port Orleans Riverside

Those are all my options for a trip in late February. I will have a double stroller and am leaning toward skyliner hotels or Swan/Dolphin because I haaaate buses with a double stroller.

Also I know MK is best for that age but it's not my favorite. We'll book a monorail resort when it's safe to do another nonrefundable booking with DVC Rental Store.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!
Just fyi...the main reason I personally would look at skyliner resorts is due to stroller, however I'm 99% sure you have to still collapse the stroller for a double, so then realistically that takes away that advantage for me.

We'd do Swan or Dolphin for ease of walking to 2 parks.

Swan
Dolphin
Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs
Port Orleans Riverside

We have stayed at all of these.

The Swan and Dolphin give you a Deluxe Resort benefit: 2 extra hours at night at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot (a.k.a. "Extended Evening Hours").

The Swan and Dolphin will give you the biggest rooms, with the Swan having 2 queen beds.

As others have noted, the Swan & Dolphin puts you within walking (or boating) distance of two theme parks. (The Skyliner really backs up in the morning.)

All of the ones you have listed have good pools that the children will enjoy.

Keep in mind that Caribbean Beach used to be the least expensive and easiest to book Disney Moderate Resort before the Skyliner. Now with the Skyliner, it has become the most expensive. That gives you some idea of what others thought of CBR before the Skyliner.

Not Coronado. They only have a basic kiddie pool, while POR and CBR have great children's water playgrounds. And Coronado is reliant on bus transit. We always brought 2 single strollers, which can fit on the Skyliner, or now we have moved on to just a single with attached board and seat, which easily fits on the Skyliner. Swan and Dolphin look like an excellent location, though we haven't stayed there so I don't know about kid-friendly theming or pools. I think I would be hesitant to stay at POR until the Disney Springs boats are brought back. While it is a beautiful resort, until the boats come back you have to drive or bus everywhere.

OP here. Thank you all for this very helpful guidance. I ended up finding a (rented) spot at the Polynesian villas for 4 nights even tho we’re only 4.5 months out. I was so pumped and booked it right away. Normally we have to book studios at the Poly like 10-11 months out.

If we have to cancel this trip (again😩) I am leaning toward the Dolphin thanks to your friendly advice. I hope the double stroller fits on the Poly room elevators. I remember them feeling small with a single stroller!

If we have to cancel this trip (again😩) I am leaning toward the Dolphin thanks to your friendly advice. I hope the double stroller fits on the Poly room elevators. I remember them feeling small with a single stroller!
Yes, Poly elevators are very small, a throwback to 1971 when the Poly was built. Perhaps ask for a room on the ground floor?

Yes, Poly elevators are very small, a throwback to 1971 when the Poly was built. Perhaps ask for a room on the ground floor?
Totally. the elevator was super cramped with a single stroller, small child and two adults. Plus, only one elevator car so you might have to wait. If doing Poly, ask for ground floor or be prepared to haul the stroller up the steps (which are not that bad because they are very low rise and wide and only need to go up two flights max).

CBR has good pool. Also Skyliner is great for getting to HS or Epcot but bus to MK is bad. Cora ado a no. POR probably not either. Swan and Dolphin won’t give you Disney feel.

I know you booked Poly, but for the future, if you have a double stroller like a Bob Jogging stroller where the kids sit side-by-side, it will not fit on the Skyliner. If they sit front-to-back, you should be able to push it right on.

We stayed at Poly for 11 nights with our Bob last August. I requested a first floor room. People left their scooters and strollers in the hallway at night which saved us a lot of space in the room. The hallways are very wide.

I know you booked Poly, but for the future, if you have a double stroller like a Bob Jogging stroller where the kids sit side-by-side, it will not fit on the Skyliner. If they sit front-to-back, you should be able to push it right on.

We stayed at Poly for 11 nights with our Bob last August. I requested a first floor room. People left their scooters and strollers in the hallway at night which saved us a lot of space in the room. The hallways are very wide.
Did you miss having the second floor view? I was also thinking the first floor patio/garden could be nice as a "ok go play outside!" escape (supervised by mom or dad) during that always hectic morning get-out-the-door hour.

Did you miss having the second floor view? I was also thinking the first floor patio/garden could be nice as a "ok go play outside!" escape (supervised by mom or dad) during that always hectic morning get-out-the-door hour.

Our best memories with our 5yo son was at the Poly in a first floor!
Next trip, on the second level, there wasn’t a balcony and wasn’t as convenient as staying on the ground level/patio level.
One thing about the Poly, it has it all!👍🏼

Our best memories with our 5yo son was at the Poly in a first floor!
Next trip, on the second level, there wasn’t a balcony and wasn’t as convenient as staying on the ground level/patio level.
One thing about the Poly, it has it all!👍🏼
Awww yay! This made me really excited for our future "patio memories"! I've never stayed in a first floor room ANYWHERE at Disney but I can see how it would be really sweet!!

We stayed at Poly in 2019 with a 4 year old and 18m old. Other than the tiny elevators it was fantastic! We were on the third floor( I didn’t know about the small elevators otherwise would have asked for ground floor)
We have double Citymini Gt and we could fit in the elevator sideways but no one else could come on.

However the rooms were large and beautiful. We had plenty of space for the kids, a pack and play and the stroller.

I love the food options, the pools and seeing the castle/fireworks. The 4 year old could spend all day on the water play area. You made a great choice. Have a great trip!

We stayed at Poly in 2019 with a 4 year old and 18m old. Other than the tiny elevators it was fantastic! We were on the third floor( I didn’t know about the small elevators otherwise would have asked for ground floor)
We have double Citymini Gt and we could fit in the elevator sideways but no one else could come on.

However the rooms were large and beautiful. We had plenty of space for the kids, a pack and play and the stroller.

I love the food options, the pools and seeing the castle/fireworks. The 4 year old could spend all day on the water play area. You made a great choice. Have a great trip!
ohmigosh, so excited now!! Eeeeeeee!

We have a City Mini GT (single) and a City Select Double Stroller (stacked, not side to side). Was planning on renting the City Mini GT2 (side to side) but seems like there's no way that would fit in the elevator if we don't get a first floor room. Right?

ohmigosh, so excited now!! Eeeeeeee!

We have a City Mini GT (single) and a City Select Double Stroller (stacked, not side to side). Was planning on renting the City Mini GT2 (side to side) but seems like there's no way that would fit in the elevator if we don't get a first floor room. Right?

That’s the same stroller we have. We could fit in the elevator. We couldn’t just drive straight in. We had to drive in and turn the stroller. Once we got in there was no room for anyone else.
I wouldn’t worry about it too much. You might just have to wait an extra round for an elevator if others are around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter