Which One Would YOU Want To Do?

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
DH and I will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary in September. I just made reservations for a night in Mackinaw City, and 2 nights on Mackinaw Island for a little "anniversary getaway" that month. But, we would also like to do something "bigger" either this coming winter or next summer. For our 25th we did a 7-night Disney Magic cruise (our first cruise) and 4-nights at WDW that following January. We could wait for our 50th, the "bigger" anniversary but we learned from DH's Mom that you should do what you can when you can and not always "wait for tomorrow" because sometimes "tomorrow" doesn't come (she passed away at age 62 from ALS and never saw her 40th anniversary).

So, we have been tossing around ideas:

1. Alaskan cruise/tour, OR take a few weeks and drive (pickup camper) to Alaska ourselves.

2. Hawaii - either fly and spend 2 weeks and see 2-3 different islands or cruise from California.

3. Route 66 road trip next summer, with the truck camper.

4. "Out West" road trip (again, with the truck camper) to see Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, etc.

We just can't seem to make a decision, and if we're going to do something this winter we need to get it planned SOON.

So, if you had the choice, which one of those would YOU do?

Or, if you've done any of these please tell me about your experience and maybe make some suggestions to enhance the trip, things to do, things to see, etc.

Thanks!

I'd love to go on any of those trips. I might pick Alaska because I fear our last frontier is quickly losing its glaciers and I've always wanted to go there. I'm sure you will love whatever you pick.

I can see why you are having trouble, those all look like good options to me!

I think I'd go with Alaska or Hawaii though. And since it seems like you will be travelling during the winter, for me, that would give the strong edge to Hawaii. I'd rather see Alaska in Spring or Summer.

I like the Route 66 road trip idea. Like the song says, "get your kicks on Route 66."

Happy 40th...
Alaska is amazing, the sites are beautiful. We did an early Sept. cruise in 2013 the weather was pretty good for us.
Which ever you choose, have a wonderful time!

We might do a partial Route 66 trip next summer and on the way see my son and DIL in Oklahoma so I guess I would say Route 66. :)

:beach: You can't lose with Hawaii in the winter. Sorry, I'm immune to the apparent charms of Alaska as I live in a similar climate and topography (without the ocean).

SO many good options. I am torn between #1 and #2.
I LOVE Alaska and lived there for three years. SO I believe that everyone needs to go there. I would love to do it in a camper. BUT I would LOVE Hawaii. I have never been there before and really want to go.

P.S I do have vacation hours to use if you need a third wheel on your anniversary trip :rotfl:

Having done pretty much all of the above (including Mackinaw Island at the Grand Hotel), I would choose Hawaii for 2 weeks. The cruise is relaxing but you'd have more time to see the islands if you fly. Our favorite islands are Maui and Kauai, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Second choice would be Alaska. Love to cool off there. I'm not a road trip person, especially in a camper, so a cruise would be a better option for us. OTOH, if you love driving and camping, Alaska would be quite the trip. Except that would be an awfully long drive, even with stopping at Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone Park and up into Canada along the way.

I'd do a cruise--either Alaska or Hawaii. And have a great time at Mackinac! We went last year for our anniversary and had a lovely, restful vacation.

DH and I will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary in September. I just made reservations for a night in Mackinaw City, and 2 nights on Mackinaw Island for a little "anniversary getaway" that month. But, we would also like to do something "bigger" either this coming winter or next summer. For our 25th we did a 7-night Disney Magic cruise (our first cruise) and 4-nights at WDW that following January. We could wait for our 50th, the "bigger" anniversary but we learned from DH's Mom that you should do what you can when you can and not always "wait for tomorrow" because sometimes "tomorrow" doesn't come (she passed away at age 62 from ALS and never saw her 40th anniversary).

So, we have been tossing around ideas:

1. Alaskan cruise/tour, OR take a few weeks and drive (pickup camper) to Alaska ourselves.

2. Hawaii - either fly and spend 2 weeks and see 2-3 different islands or cruise from California.

3. Route 66 road trip next summer, with the truck camper.

4. "Out West" road trip (again, with the truck camper) to see Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, etc.

We just can't seem to make a decision, and if we're going to do something this winter we need to get it planned SOON.

So, if you had the choice, which one of those would YOU do?

Or, if you've done any of these please tell me about your experience and maybe make some suggestions to enhance the trip, things to do, things to see, etc.

Thanks!

I totally agree with you---the time for doing something is NOW, not when you reach a certain milestone. We never know what life will deal to us. DHs grandfather did that. Worked all his life, never took a vacation. Finally retired at age 66, dead 5 months later from kidney disease. Such a shame. DH & I do things much differently.

Okay, on to the next....

We have done the Out West trip with our camper and it was AWESOME! The only caveat I will mention is that Out West is a huge territory. Everything is father than it looks on a map. Pay attention to your gas tank and fill up between 1/2 & 1/4 tank. It can be many miles between gas stations.

I'd consider a cruise to Alaska, over a road trip. The Alaska Hwy is about 1,300 miles one way and summer is construction season. The highway can be very hard on your truck's suspension. Gas stations and campgrounds can be few and far between. I have not driven it, but I have friends who have. They had a great time, but those were some of the issues they ran into.

I guess my vote would go to Route 66 or Out West. I loved our trip so much! In fact, Yellowstone is my new Happy Place.

Happy 40th...
Alaska is amazing, the sites are beautiful. We did an early Sept. cruise in 2013 the weather was pretty good for us.
Which ever you choose, have a wonderful time!

An early September cruise would be nice I think, maybe less children if they are back in school then. Was the weather still fairly warm then? I can't stand humidity, and for me the "perfect" temperature is about 72. :) 60's with sunshine is fine too.

Having done pretty much all of the above (including Mackinaw Island at the Grand Hotel), I would choose Hawaii for 2 weeks. The cruise is relaxing but you'd have more time to see the islands if you fly. Our favorite islands are Maui and Kauai, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Second choice would be Alaska. Love to cool off there. I'm not a road trip person, especially in a camper, so a cruise would be a better option for us. OTOH, if you love driving and camping, Alaska would be quite the trip. Except that would be an awfully long drive, even with stopping at Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone Park and up into Canada along the way.

We spent our 6th wedding anniversary at the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island, it was only $139/night then and back then we thought THAT was expensive. Now? Yikes! I just can't justify spending what they want now for a room, and it would be a "back" room at that. Loved the experience though, and that beautiful dining room with orchestra and dressing up, etc. It is a beautiful hotel for sure!

I'd do a cruise--either Alaska or Hawaii. And have a great time at Mackinac! We went last year for our anniversary and had a lovely, restful vacation.

The last time DH and I were on the island together was for my 40th birthday, so about 18 years ago. I took my Mom a couple years ago for her 76th birthday. We stayed at the Chippewa Hotel, which is where I made the reservation for DH and me too. It's a lovely older downtown hotel. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter