Which phone would you get?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I am looking at upgrading my phone. Now, I know cell phone cameras don't compare to the real thing, but, that said, the quality of the phone camera is important to me since I take a lot of pics with it. Of these three, which would be the top pick?

Samsung Galaxy S8
iPhone 7
Google Pixel 2

All three are 12 megapixels. So from a camera standpoint, get the one that costs the least, the photos should all be outstanding.

All three are 12 megapixels. So from a camera standpoint, get the one that costs the least, the photos should all be outstanding.
You need to look at more than just megapixels if you want good quality pictures. Low light capability immediately comes to mind. Shutter speed (to stop action) is another. Do any of them offer manual settings (if you might decide to go that route)?

I have HEARD (no first hand experiences) that the Pixel cameras are the best out there. Do some research to confirm that though.

You need to look at more than just megapixels if you want good quality pictures. Low light capability immediately comes to mind. Shutter speed (to stop action) is another. Do any of them offer manual settings (if you might decide to go that route)?

I have HEARD (no first hand experiences) that the Pixel cameras are the best out there. Do some research to confirm that though.

Yes dpreview had some really good things to say.

Don’t know much about the better camera but the I phone would be my only consideration. The pics mine takes are good enough.

100% this. To this day the best camera I’ve ever had (Nikon D700) only had 12 megapixels.

I’ve also heard great things about the camera on the Pixel but have no experience with it.

I think the camera on the iPhone 7 is great. My last trip to Disneyland that’s all I took and I’m more than happy with what I got. (this is coming from someone who has a cabinet full of fancy lenses and cameras) The HDR is great for night shots.

Any modern phone camera should do well if you have a steady hand and use light and composition to your advantage.

Why not the iPhone?

Because the others have better specs.

I have an iphone, it takes decent pictures but if I was specifically looking for a phone to use as a camera I would not have purchased it when looking at the comparison of the phones (and that also includes the overall like RAM and processor)

I can't speak for the newer model iphones, I didn't compare those but the 7 has the worst camera specs IMO out of the OP's 3 choices.

Because the others have better specs.

I have an iphone, it takes decent pictures but if I was specifically looking for a phone to use as a camera I would not have purchased it when looking at the comparison of the phones (and that also includes the overall like RAM and processor)

I can't speak for the newer model iphones, I didn't compare those but the 7 has the worst camera specs IMO out of the OP's 3 choices.
I have the iPhone XS which technically out specs the 7. Other than the second lens on the back I find I prefer the camera on the 7. The WB on the XS is too warm (and I like a warm photo) and all it’s features tend to get in my way. I have ended up with “franken photos” when forgetting to turn off the “smart” HDR. I’ve not had one photo on it that I haven’t had to adjust. My DD on the other hand will tell you the XS camera is the best thing since sliced bread. It’s all subjective IMO. I personally do not believe better specs make a better photo.

OP what platform are you coming from? I would take that into consideration as well. In looking at comparison photos the iPhone 7 and Galaxy win some categories (exposure) while the Pixel wins in others (overall detail). I’d suggest looking at those and deciding which you like best. Of course YMMV when it comes to how you use your camera.

Choosing between Android and iOS cameras is like trying to get a Nikon person to switch to Canon and a Canon person to switch to Nikon. You either like the looks of the photos produced by Nikon or you like the looks of the photos produced by Canon. Rare is a person who says they like both.

As hard as it will be, you need to take the same photo with all three phones and decided which produces the picture style you like best.

I have an S8 and it has a great camera! The battery life is also amazing, even over a year out. Not sure how it compares to the iPhone 7 or Pixel 2, though.

I have an S8 and it has a great camera! The battery life is also amazing, even over a year out. Not sure how it compares to the iPhone 7 or Pixel 2, though.

Me too! I had originally ordered an iPhone X from Apple late 2017 and canceled it for the 8 and am glad. It was something like $300 cheaper and amazing with battery life and photos. I don't know anything about the other phones listed but am finally 100% all Apple and happy! I love how everything works together, my photos show up immediately on my MacBook. Also, I've probably dropped my iPhone 25 times in the last 1.5 years (sometimes hard falls) and it doesn't have a scratch on it (knock on wood). My iPad is from 2011 and in perfect condition. Any brand that survives my destructiveness is the one I will stay with.

I have the Pixel 2 and it takes great pictures. It was a much better deal when I bought it than the Samsung and new iPhone, though I'm not sure what the prices are now. I would strongly recommend if you get one to immediately buy an OtterBox and keep it in it at all times. DH broke the screen and the back on his Pixel 1 with drops that wouldn't have even scratched most phones. Meanwhile, I've had the case on mine the whole time, dropped it repeatedly, and it doesn't even have a scratch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter